Songkran Dates For 2007

limbos

Changing the subject just a little: Does anyone know where I can obtain an explanation (preferably in English) of how the various Thai lunar based holidays are determined ? A summary in Thai would be better than nothing.

Speaking of holidays for 2007, it would be nice if there was a sticky post at the top showing both 2006 and 2007 holidays. Lots of us plan our vacations long in advance, or need to know next year's holidays for other reasons. Last year, the sticky post for 2005 remained until almost the end of the year before changing to 2006. Having a list of the current year's holdiays at the end of December is pretty worthless unless someone needed to go back to reference the holidays already past.

Speaking of holidays for 2007, it would be nice if there was a sticky post at the top showing both 2006 and 2007 holidays. Lots of us plan our vacations long in advance, or need to know next year's holidays for other reasons. Last year, the sticky post for 2005 remained until almost the end of the year before changing to 2006. Having a list of the current year's holdiays at the end of December is pretty worthless unless someone needed to go back to reference the holidays already past.

Good point :o

I'll talk to George.

What will be the Songkran dates for 2007?

Any help appreciated.

Depends on where you are as to when it is celebrated in Thailand ..... the official dates from the Gov't are not exactly the same as the dates it is celebrated in different towns

Does anyone know where I can obtain an explanation (preferably in English) of how the various Thai lunar based holidays are determined ?
Wondering about the same, I googled and found this web page.

A lunar month starts with the date of the new moon, and the fifteenth day of the waxing moon is the date of the full moon or sometimes one day later.

Thailand has five Buddhist holidays, based on the lunar calendar, and the Makha Bucha day (3 FEB 2007), for example, falls on the fifteenth day of the waxing moon of the third lunar month. I haven’t figured out yet where they start counting the lunar months but it probably is the Hindu lunar calendar. Working back from the date of Makha Bucha 2007 I see that the first month starts 20 November 2006, which is the first new moon after Loy Krathong, which always falls on the full moon of November (5 NOV 2006). To calculate the dates of the Buddhist holidays in Thailand it may therefore be safe to count the first lunar month after Loy Krathong as the first month of the calendar, but it would be nice to have confirmation from a lunar calendar expert.

---------------

Maestro

P.S. Googling further I see that the Hindu lunar calendar starts in April/May. The Thai Buddhist holidays are based on the Thai lunar calendar, which therefore obviously starts in November. And they celebrate Songkran as the Thai New Year.

Edited by maestro