NCPO targets freebies of state enterprises

webfact

NATIONAL CARRIER
NCPO targets freebies of state enterprises

The Nation

THAI board members to lose free tickets; Other state enterprises also under scrutiny for privilege cuts

BANGKOK: -- The National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) yesterday decided to cut the privilege of free flights for board members of national carrier Thai Airways International, as a pilot project aimed at budget savings.

Other state-owned enterprises are also in the junta's sights for cutting the privileges of their board members, as part of the military's plan to revamp state-owned enterprises.

The NCPO's spokesman, Colonel Winthai Suvari, said cutting the privileges of THAI board members was aimed at budget savings and also to help the loss-making carrier cut its costs.

The spokesman was speaking after a junta meeting chaired by NCPO chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha with deputy military chiefs on six aspects of national administration.

Currently, each of THAI's board members is allowed 15 free international flights and 12 domestic flights a year with the carrier. They can also be accompanied by a person, who will be given the same privileges to fly with them.

Among the privileges enjoyed for long by the board members of some state-owned enterprises are free water and electricity for their whole lives. Some are given either free fuel or their telephone bills are paid. The junta earlier reportedly considered removing members of boards of many state-owned enterprises.

In addition, the NCPO agreed on the fiscal 2015 budget plan proposed by the Finance Ministry and ordered the ministry to complete budget expenditure by September 30. The NCPO also agreed on a disbursement plan of the budget for fiscal 2014.

The NCPO yesterday released its strategic outline for next year's annual budget with emphasis on the Sufficiency Economy principle, aimed at pushing forward the economy and restoring confidence.

The NCPO told government agencies to work out their budgets in line with the 11th National Economic and Social Development Plan and integrate eight strategies, including national security, establishing sustainable and fair economic growth and good governance.

As part of the strategy to restore confidence and quickly establish good fundamentals for the country, the NCPO cited eight urgent issues: providing speedy help to the people, restore confidence and stimulate the economy and investment, create reconciliation, suppress and prevent corruption, implementation of Asean Economic Community agreements, infrastructure development, putting research and development studies into practice, and solving problems related to the restive South.

The NCPO also asked government agencies to allocate budgets for the suppression and prevention of illegal drugs, human trafficking and corruption.

The other issues include development of human resources, information technology, integrated water management as well as public debt management.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-11

Admirable.

Does anybody think things won't go back to normal post coup?

I think the current awakening of public awareness to these kinds of perks, which were before unknown to the general public, will make it more difficult to go back to normal. I'm not saying some of it won't take place but I don't think it will be on the current scale.

• Like 2

This is another positive step lead by the military and shows just how corrupt the government can be. Now, hopefully they will get rid of the "it's not what you know, but who you know" system of hiring at Thai Airways and AOT.

Admirable.

Does anybody think things won't go back to normal post coup?

Sometimes I think too much about too many things. I will leave this one alone since it looks good for now.
  • Like 1

This is another positive step lead by the military and shows just how corrupt the government can be. Now, hopefully they will get rid of the "it's not what you know, but who you know" system of hiring at Thai Airways and AOT.

Nonsense. Not to mention "short memory". THAI is always the whipping boy and usually it's the only one. One of the first things the Yingluck government did when it took over is score some points with the public and "show that we mean business" was to cut THAI perks. At that time, September 2011, board members could fly first class on 30 domestic and 30 international round trips per year.

And there is quite a way to go even on this public scapegoat. Example: Before Yingluck, board members also used to receive a lifetime discount of 75% on 12 international tickets and six domestic tickets each year. Yingluck cut that to "only" three years after leaving the board. That was not touched by the junta.

On the other hand, why should public companies NOT give huge, costly salaries and benefits to anyone they please, unless stockholders stop them? Why should a government or some chocolate soldier melting in the sun get to say what a listed company can, and cannot give to its employees? (Exposing the problem of a listed, public company in which almost all shares are involuntarily owned by taxpayers, of course.)

May God take care of His Majesty the King, Thailand, and the Military. Thank you Military for cleaning out the Criminal Family and all the cronies. Now it is time for international arrest warrants, for all criminal on the run.

You just wasted all of your three wishes. The cronies and family are still lurking, believe it. And world governments do not chase political opponents of current governments. And "international arrest warrants" are not awarded like back-slapping, back-scratching medals at a military retreat.

You could have had money, the end of world hunger and world peace. You did not choose wisely at all.

Edited by wandasloan

EGAT people get free electricity.

TOT people get free call.

SRT people get free ride.

PTT people get free fuel.

MEA people get free water.

Army (even after retirement) get free housing, cars, gardeners, servants, drivers, bodyguards .
Ooops, please leave the last one out.
  • Like 1

I thought politicians & family also get lots of free flights on TG. If so these need to be curtailed as well.

Politicians have been curtailed.

There are no politicians, as there is no opposition and there is no civilian government ;) ( I read that somewhere else on TVF)

• Like 2

May God take care of His Majesty the King, Thailand, and the Military. Thank you Military for cleaning out the Criminal Family and all the cronies. Now it is time for international arrest warrants, for all criminal on the run.

Unfortunately the UK, USA and many other countries can not see what Thaksin has done wrong, now with the Coup, they do not even recognise the Junta as a legitimate government so laughing boy could ask virtually any country he chooses for political asylum and get it.

Nonsense. Not to mention "short memory". THAI is always the whipping boy and usually it's the only one. One of the first things the Yingluck government did when it took over is score some points with the public and "show that we mean business" was to cut THAI perks. At that time, September 2011, board members could fly first class on 30 domestic and 30 international round trips per year.

And there is quite a way to go even on this public scapegoat. Example: Before Yingluck, board members also used to receive a lifetime discount of 75% on 12 international tickets and six domestic tickets each year. Yingluck cut that to "only" three years after leaving the board. That was not touched by the junta.

On the other hand, why should public companies NOT give huge, costly salaries and benefits to anyone they please, unless stockholders stop them? Why should a government or some chocolate soldier melting in the sun get to say what a listed company can, and cannot give to its employees? (Exposing the problem of a listed, public company in which almost all shares are involuntarily owned by taxpayers, of course.)

You just wasted all of your three wishes. The cronies and family are still lurking, believe it. And world governments do not chase political opponents of current governments. And "international arrest warrants" are not awarded like back-slapping, back-scratching medals at a military retreat.

You could have had money, the end of world hunger and world peace. You did not choose wisely at all.

Because the ones she cheered for are removed the army can't do any good in her eyes. Poor Wanda.

Stockholders.. of public companies when all shares are owned by the state.. you said it yourself. Then only the government can stop this and now it is done. Great work army.. even though this bitter female does not see it the majority of foreigners that are politically active here do.

what about not closing all EXPRESSWAYS when some certain people want to go shopping and nobody is allowed on the roads for 30 minutes in every direction?

Well I live overlooking the major Flyover off Ratchaparop and the first thing I have noticed is the lack of stopping the traffic.Under the Yingluck Govt it would close between 3 and 7 times a day sometimes just for her VW,now it is lucky to be closed 2 times aweek so with some luck your wish has been granted.

Why not sell these state owned/controled companies and free up cash for the budget? Let the companies then trade on their merits. Open the marketplace?

I saw this about the Thai court system:

The Judiciary of Thailand (Thai: ฝ่ายตุลาการไทย; RTGS: Fai Tulakan Thai) is composed of three distinct systems: the Court of Justice system, the Administrative Court system and the Constitutional Court of Thailand. The current judicial system is organised in accordance with the 2007 Constitution of Thailand.

The Asian Human Rights Commission called the Thai legal system a "mess" and called for a drastic overhaul of Thailand's criminal procedures. It cited the rampant use of forced confessions, and the fact that even a senior justice ministry official admitted that 30% of cases went to court with no evidence. There are no stenographic records kept by the trial court and the record is composed of what the judges decide. It also criticized the judiciary for failing to ensure that trials are conducted speedily. Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judiciary_of_Thailand

The other thing I read about the court system is that at the end when the judge retires there is a time set aside to write the judgement. This is also a time to submit payment to help the writting of a judgement? A ferrari comes to mind?

This is about a report done in 2007, but I am assuming not much has changed?

Now if you are serious about cleaning house, wouldn't this be an area that structural changes should be affected?

Just to say we won't give the perks doesn't sound fair; Directors should be reimbursed for their time and expertise. By selling off these assets, which the state may not have any real benefit in will free up cash and set the companies hopefully to act or react to market conditions. Its then up to the shareholders to decide on what the directors get, not the state.

Why does the armed service get a seat on a lot of Thai boards?

Decisions like this may be seen as fair, but for the purpose of getting the economy and judicial system to work, nothing will really change.

But then agin the army will give you a free head-job ( that means haircut). That and a good smile will get the country going........thumbsup.gif

I have some great video of the Khon Kaen fire chief using all the fire trucks and road machines to build his restaurant at the top end of the lake. Of course on top of all this was the drivers and trucks who were involved for months on the operation.

All paid out of the public pot.

Every vehicle is stamped with the government logo.

When I questioned the receptionist at a nearby hotel she said 'This is Thailand..who going to stop big man' ?

Should I post the video to all the Thai tv stations,newspapers or just put it on youtube?

I have some great video of the Khon Kaen fire chief using all the fire trucks and road machines to build his restaurant at the top end of the lake. Of course on top of all this was the drivers and trucks who were involved for months on the operation.

All paid out of the public pot.

Every vehicle is stamped with the government logo.

When I questioned the receptionist at a nearby hotel she said 'This is Thailand..who going to stop big man' ?

Should I post the video to all the Thai tv stations,newspapers or just put it on youtube?

Yes, yes & yes :)