discrimination local businesses

epicstuff

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally disagree with you. It is not a higher fee for farangs. It is a lower fee for Thais. Everything you say is the same in USA. Go to a Virginia historical site and show your USA ID. Discount given. Many places do that. Do you think Americans discriminate against Mexicans, etc. You bet they do. You should be discriminated also but not necessarily in a negative way all of the time.

Really you should stay in the country where you were born but you live in a foreign country. There is a huge difference being in another country - language, cost of living, culture, etc

For example, what does $10 mean to you. That is a whole day's wages for a Thai. They would like to go out also but cannot because you have increased their cost of living by simply being here as a tourist, as a business owner, big corp selling into this market, etc. You caused the inflation along with foreign companies that want to do business here. You have actually ruined many of their lives. Now - get on track - pay more!!!!!! Let the Thais - who own this land and are citizens of this land - have their normal price that should go along with $10/day income. You pay more! I am American and have no problems paying more. I should.

You seems to think that every Thai only makes 300 baht a day. The 300 baht is a MINIMUM per day. Personally I don't know any Thai that earns that little.

• Like 2

Totally agree, this is blatant racial discrimination. It has happened to me on few occasions and I just vote with my feet. A guy in Chiang Mai did relent but it took him 20 minutes to realise he was out of pocket but I did not give him the satisfaction. Where ever possible I send the wife or my son to do the shopping in places I feel we may be double charged but in the attractions or National parks I just refuse to surrender to their theft.

without the feeling of being raped

I'll kick off with..

Adventure Mini Golf,

Thankfully I have never had the experience of being raped so I cannot say for sure but I reckon a rape victim wouldn't appreciate you comparing it to being overcharged for mini golf.

I think you are taking the whole dual pricing thing a bit too personally. If you don't like the price just walk. Spend your money elsewhere. It will be no loss to you.

Sent from my KFTT using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by MW72
  • Like 2

In many of the malls (like Central) there is a "tourist card" - anyone who's not Thai (farangs and others) can get this card (and at least for farangs by appearance only - no need to show a passport with a valid TOURIST visa!!!) and with this card you get 5% discount. in that mall. Never saw any Thai complain about this racist discrimination nor any farang that praise it.......

And if it makes the OP feels better, I saw at least once in Khaosan road a rural Thai man asked to pay 4 times the price it was usually sold to farangs at the time for a pair of fake Levi's

And most also offer an equivalent card for locals as well (both Thai and foreigners) like M Card at The Mall or Lotus or Big C also have similar.. This card also offers discounts... And collects points that can be traded in for vouchers to be used in the stores

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, and it's all from a misconstrued idea of tax money from public parks or public accessible venues.

Those "public" venues are actually paid for by the tax payers. Depending on the public venue, some may have to charge additional fees to cover expenses. Unfortunately, this idea was not properly conveyed / explained by the government, thus can lead to extreme corruption. I'm using the word "corruption" very very loosely.

In fact, I think there is a law that prohibits companies to have separate pricing strategies that promotes discrimination. Unfortunately, there's no one policing or enforcing the laws or preventing this behaviors, so it goes very very rampant in Thailand.

Another misconstrued idea is that Thais believe that foreigners are rich. I seriously don't know how they got that idea, apparently Thai's have never bothered to compare car prices. Just based on this fact, it's very very apparent that Thai's are far richer than the average foreigner. Hell, a foreigner will use coupons at the grocery store far more often than a Thai. I'm half Thai and I use coupons.... will do so and will try to save where ever I can.... I'm definitely not ashamed for it.

That said, I seriously don't know why they all think that foreigners are rich. Maybe they saw some "farang" in a Ferrari and assumed that everyone in USA or UK or Australia has one in their garage?

• Like 2

Everytime I hear a Westerner complaining about being discriminated here in Asia, I can't help but think about Indians and Malays in London, Arabs in Paris, Turks in Germany, Blacks in the US, Indonesians in Holland or Australia (and the list goes on) and I wonder how they feel in those beautiful countries... I wonder how much of the indigenous attitude towards them gets 'under their skin, as you say.

We can't help being surprised when we encounter discrimation here, as if racism could only be something that white people do to others... But it's pretty universal unfortunately (which, of course, doesn't make it right).

A practical point : if you have a local driving license, it will get you the 'Thai price' in most places, in case you didn't know, so there is a difference between tourists and residents actually.

Edited by Yann55

...as if your post will change anything in this country.....as if posting on this site will make any changes in this country or even on this site. The bureaucrats that govern all things will never change as long as the root of all existence is money and not 'one specific person or outlook'....of course you think they want your money....but if it's not your money....they will get someone else's money....they don't need you or depend on you (people of your mentality) because they are an abundant of people without your mentality who willingly and freely toss their money away. That's the way the world is.....a world that worships money (not yours, but you gave it anyway). So perhaps you should try to find a world where you can 'better exist'....it's not here....not with this bureaucracy (TV)

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Get over it, it's been that way since forever and it's not going to change any time soon. If it bothers you so much, don't partake. It's your problem, not theirs.

Things that have been that way forever, as you state, are now changing all around us everyday.

As for it being our problems and not the businesses...that's looking at it dimly.

If a person is open for business, then it's certainly their problem to sort out,

not the consumers.

As foreigners begin to wise up to this form of blatant extortion of sorts,

they choose to move on from businesses that take part in this style of charging;

as a result these business soon find themselves out of business or at the very least;

suffering from a drop in revenue.

On the surface it could be considered that these businesses only care to cater to Thai's,

but since they can't refuse foreigners from entering, they choose to make them pay more for the privilege.

It could be considered that this is how the policy started originally,

and now it's just been disguised as foreigner pay more.

Without anyone ever asking why?

I recently went to the dentist, with my wife.

She had her procedure done first,

and then I decided to see if I could follow suit for the same procedure?

They told me sure, just come back in an hour.

I did, and when it was completed.

They proceeded to charge me 1,000 bht more than they had charged my wife.

Never explaining to me about the charge,

and even though I was paying for both procedures done on the same day,

during normal business hours.

Needless to say, I won't be returning to that facility.

I think the op has a grand idea of people reporting the businesses that follow this practice,

so other foreigners on extended stays can view these businesses and yes,

make their own choice as to if they wish to support this form or style of operation or not?

As for your reply of "Get over it" one would have to ask if you feel this way,

why reply to the post?

The concern here is for equality for everyone,

regardless where they are from...

Especially in an environment where tourism is such a huge part of the countries economy.

I would find it hard to believe if you were being treated differently,

you would just be able to get over it, as this post clearly disturbed you so,

or you wouldn't of wasted your time making a reply to this post.

Yet you choose to partake in it.

Interesting when you're advising someone else to not...

That's bold.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I agree, and it's all from a misconstrued idea of tax money from public parks or public accessible venues.

Those "public" venues are actually paid for by the tax payers. Depending on the public venue, some may have to charge additional fees to cover expenses. Unfortunately, this idea was not properly conveyed / explained by the government, thus can lead to extreme corruption. I'm using the word "corruption" very very loosely.

In fact, I think there is a law that prohibits companies to have separate pricing strategies that promotes discrimination. Unfortunately, there's no one policing or enforcing the laws or preventing this behaviors, so it goes very very rampant in Thailand.

Another misconstrued idea is that Thais believe that foreigners are rich. I seriously don't know how they got that idea, apparently Thai's have never bothered to compare car prices. Just based on this fact, it's very very apparent that Thai's are far richer than the average foreigner. Hell, a foreigner will use coupons at the grocery store far more often than a Thai. I'm half Thai and I use coupons.... will do so and will try to save where ever I can.... I'm definitely not ashamed for it.

That said, I seriously don't know why they all think that foreigners are rich. Maybe they saw some "farang" in a Ferrari and assumed that everyone in USA or UK or Australia has one in their garage?

This 'rich foreigner' image is one conveyed through the media....the only source of info thai's have on foreigners. They believe what they see on tv....(even on this site) and it doesn't help (of course) that foreigners come to thailand and enforce this idea through their own lifestyle and frivolous spending without thought...

but it is not just thailand....so many other countries where there are poor have the same mindset....foreiginers are rich..... You can blame them for their twisted view of foreigners, but it won't change any thing.

It is not based on race but nationality. Chinese, Koreans, Japanese etc. all pay the foreigners price. And it hardly ever happens, so far I have not been anywhere where I could not get in for the Thai price.

I understand the policy for (semi) government attractions (locals pay less), for private enterprises it should IMO not be allowed.

Hmmm ... I took some Taiwanese friends to the BKK zoo. I paid double price and they paid Thai price. Of course I was the one buying the tickets.

Collectively, most tourists come from countries where discriminatory pricing is illegal. This can't be good for the image of Thailand as a tourist destination.

Edited by razer

Totally agree, this is blatant racial discrimination. It has happened to me on few occasions and I just vote with my feet. A guy in Chiang Mai did relent but it took him 20 minutes to realise he was out of pocket but I did not give him the satisfaction. Where ever possible I send the wife or my son to do the shopping in places I feel we may be double charged but in the attractions or National parks I just refuse to surrender to their theft.

You may agree, so you're wrong too, not racial.

It is not based on race but nationality. Chinese, Koreans, Japanese etc. all pay the foreigners price. And it hardly ever happens, so far I have not been anywhere where I could not get in for the Thai price.

I understand the policy for (semi) government attractions (locals pay less), for private enterprises it should IMO not be allowed.

Hmmm ... I took some Taiwanese friends to the BKK zoo. I paid double price and they paid Thai price. Of course I was the one buying the tickets.

So you told them your friends were from Taiwan?

BKK Zoo, where I pay Thai price?

I made a FAKE (cut & paste) newspaper report about Disney USA charging double prices for (foreign) Asians, because the Asian economy was so much stronger than the American economy. LOL ... you should have heard the anger and disgust from my Thai colleagues.

And what is the connection to the post you're quoting?

So you told them your friends were from Taiwan?

BKK Zoo, where I pay Thai price?

No. Just asked for four tickets. Doesn't that reinforce the racial aspect? Seriously it isn't good public relations for Thailand and as I said, it is illegal in the countries where most of tourists come from.

It should be introduce in Australia, if your Thai pay triple, I would love to hear hows Thais would react to that. I just wont wear this in todays world.

You mean like Disneyland in California, where having a Thai driving license or any licence except a southern California licence will cost you three times more to get in? Or at the US National Parks where only Americans can get the discounts for old people and disabled and a Thai driver's licence means you'll have to pay more?

Get over it. Double and triple and more pricing is worldwide. Do you really think everyone on the airplane pays the same price for their ticket? If you don't want to pay the price that a merchant or a government offers, don't buy his product or service.

Love your rant but I don't understand your logic. And yes ... if you are Thai visiting amusement parks outside of Thailand you should pay more. Fair play ... right?

Luk Kruengs get 50% discount of foreigner price alt=biggrin.png> said befor and again....Thai arrives in 7 Mil Merc gets in THB40 gap year student $$$$$$$ in debt and volunteering arrives on scooter pays THB400....theft, disgraceful, just dont even contemplate these places...as for the in Florida brigade, yes locals get a discount and tourists pay more but not 10 times as much

Half Thai are Thai...might have to prove it, but they should always get the Thai price. Never had an issue with it.

You may agree, so you're wrong too, not racial.

Please explain how it is not racial? If I looked to be from a S.E.A. country I could very possibly get the Thai price, but because I am obviously Caucasian I am charged the higher price. Whichever way you look at it, it is racial.

I don't believe that's true, maybe for some places but definitely not all. More than once I've seen Asians getting the 'Asian price' while non-Asians pay double. It is definitely about physical appearance most of the time.

And this is not just Thailand. I've experienced this in many Asian countries.

This 'rich foreigner' image is one conveyed through the media....the only source of info thai's have on foreigners. They believe what they see on tv....(even on this site) and it doesn't help (of course) that foreigners come to thailand and enforce this idea through their own lifestyle and frivolous spending without thought...

but it is not just thailand....so many other countries where there are poor have the same mindset....foreiginers are rich..... You can blame them for their twisted view of foreigners, but it won't change any thing.

With so many posters claiming that our money supports the entire country, why wouldn't they think we're all rich? And certainly, well-off farang (or just here on holiday and spending freely) are far more visible here than those who are not.

But I wouldn't push too much to dispel the illusion. It's the major reason we're invited to stay.

I totally agree with what you say. I have a Thai wife , a Thai driving license , a resident visa , and live in pattaya. Last week I took my wife to pattaya park tower restaurant for a buffet meal , I showed them my licence and my visa but no they say I'm a faring 600 baht for me and 400 baht for my Thai wife . I told them if you go to England we charge foreigners the same price not happy ......

I hear what you are saying and with you 100 percent

Yes, the problem is that they are allowed to do it, probably even encouraged, but in the UK you will find individual traders overchargeing oriental people etc. But companies would never get away with it.

I totally disagree with you. It is not a higher fee for farangs. It is a lower fee for Thais. Everything you say is the same in USA. Go to a Virginia historical site and show your USA ID. Discount given. Many places do that. Do you think Americans discriminate against Mexicans, etc. You bet they do. You should be discriminated also but not necessarily in a negative way all of the time.

Really you should stay in the country where you were born but you live in a foreign country. There is a huge difference being in another country - language, cost of living, culture, etc

For example, what does $10 mean to you. That is a whole day's wages for a Thai. They would like to go out also but cannot because you have increased their cost of living by simply being here as a tourist, as a business owner, big corp selling into this market, etc. You caused the inflation along with foreign companies that want to do business here. You have actually ruined many of their lives. Now - get on track - pay more!!!!!! Let the Thais - who own this land and are citizens of this land - have their normal price that should go along with $10/day income. You pay more! I am American and have no problems paying more. I should.

The Cubans make no bones about it.

There is a dual economy in Cuba, where tourists pay for 'luxury' items in tourist prices in CUC Cuban Convertible Pesos, and locals can pay for essentials in CUP (Moneda National). If a Cuban wants to buy a 'luxury' item - they too will have to pay in CUC.

As I heard it, at least thirty years ago, you take a taxi and pay BIG, a local makes the same journey and pays small. The same for food, hotels etc. everything.

No tourist forced inflation etc.

What's wrong with that?

Oh, it's a communist country......

BTW, it's not twice the price, no no,

Cuban convertible pesos are 25 times more valuable!

How many more times this controversial topic will be discussed? coffee1.gif

One can whine about this as long and hard as he wants, but it won't change a thing. I - with Thai/western kids, Thai wife, work permit, proper one year visa, Thai driving license - enter most venues and national parks for Thai prices. If the park rangers or venue owners wouldn't accept it, I bite my teeth together and tell myself that they don't know any better. I learned that if you take it personal, you do more damage to yourself than good by spoiling an anotherwise happy and sunny day at the waterfall or the lake with your family by whining and complaining over a meager 180 Baht or so that you have to pay on top. This all said - if you as an expat here have no proper long term visa, no Thai proper driving license, no proper work permit, etc. you basically are a simple tourist and should be regarded to as such and pay accordingly.

That's all I have to say to this.

Edited by catweazle
  • Like 1

Black people from Africa also pay the foreigner fee. So it is not based on the colour of your skin. It is called ethnocentrism. Look it up on google. I went to an attraction where I was charged 500 Baht while all the Thai people went in free. There were people from all over the world and they also paid 500 Baht. some were white, some were black and some were yellow. These skin colours exist within the thai indigenous population - they are all Thai citizens.

What miffs me is my country allows 40,000 Thais to become citizens of my country while Thailand does not allow even 400 of my countrymen to be citizens of Thailand. I am OK with Thais living and becoming citizens in my country but I resent that there is no reciprocity extended.