discrimination local businesses

epicstuff

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only think of one time that I was unable to get the Thai price when producing my Thai DL, maybe had to also produce my WP if any hassle. Mind you I have my Thai wife for back-up. That one time refused I just walked away. Just vote with your feet and save having any anger.

Usually DL will do the trick, but it remains a bit hit and miss, depending on the person manning the entry booth. If you have a WP, better take it with you just in case.

In many of the malls (like Central) there is a "tourist card" - anyone who's not Thai (farangs and others) can get this card (and at least for farangs by appearance only - no need to show a passport with a valid TOURIST visa!!!) and with this card you get 5% discount. in that mall. Never saw any Thai complain about this racist discrimination nor any farang that praise it.......

And if it makes the OP feels better, I saw at least once in Khaosan road a rural Thai man asked to pay 4 times the price it was usually sold to farangs at the time for a pair of fake Levi's

So, what's the point of your post ? I'd guess 99% of TV members agree with you. But as someone previously commented, it's been this way for like forever & ain't likely to change. It's their country, their culture, their rules.... It's inbred, they don't know any better. Get over it.

• Like 2

Maybe farang owners of local businesses should charge MORE for Thai people. Som nam na.

This does happen already. So it is really not only the Thais who do this. For example, Agoda.com allows companies to advertise different prices on the different language sites of Agoda. And I know some foreigners charge higher prices on the thai website than on the english one. Their reasoning is that foreigners will eat at the restaurant of the resort. Thai will often bring their own food for the whole weekend. Fair or not... It could easily be argued that this is racist towards Thai people.

Edited by martijn12345
  • Like 2

Thai driver's license usually works for me. However, at the Emerald Pool in Krabi (Sa Morakot), the officer was really smart and said that anyone can get a driver's license, and wanted to see a Thai ID Card (really), to give the Thai price.

I rarely have this problem. I guess I have been lucky, that and I don't go out much. The one place I have this problem is when I take guests to the Grand Palace. Here I am a tax payer in Thailand and I have to line up and pay at the foreigner booth while the guards want to let my Asian but foreign tourist friends in for free.

• Like 1

It should be introduce in Australia, if your Thai pay triple, I would love to hear hows Thais would react to that. I just wont wear this in todays world.

You mean like Disneyland in California, where having a Thai driving license or any licence except a southern California licence will cost you three times more to get in? Or at the US National Parks where only Americans can get the discounts for old people and disabled and a Thai driver's licence means you'll have to pay more?

Get over it. Double and triple and more pricing is worldwide. Do you really think everyone on the airplane pays the same price for their ticket? If you don't want to pay the price that a merchant or a government offers, don't buy his product or service.

• Like 1

It is not based on race but nationality. Chinese, Koreans, Japanese etc. all pay the foreigners price. And it hardly ever happens, so far I have not been anywhere where I could not get in for the Thai price.

I understand the policy for (semi) government attractions (locals pay less), for private enterprises it should IMO not be allowed.

I guess that point is arguable .. the Jews are Caucasian but it is still considered racist to gas them.....

Should be a law against blatant discrimination.. it doest send the right message to anyone one on so many different levels.

Well this Adventure mini golf is adamant that they have a different price for Farang no apologies, no exception, and from their email they believe everywhere else is the same.....

The Jews originate in Ur and therefore are Sumerian which is Mesopotamia: Modern day Iraq! So not Caucasian. They will however, probably have to pay the dual pricing like the rest of us.

I saw the comments on Agoda. They booked me a upmarket room for $50.00. per night. it did not even have a window in the room. It was a general run of the mill hotel. i asked the manager how much the room was I i booked with them. He replied $30.00. I contacted Agoda but every time it was a different person who dealt with me. So as far as I am concerned Agoda does not exist.

• Like 2

Get over it, it's been that way since forever and it's not going to change any time soon. If it bothers you so much, don't partake. It's your problem, not theirs.

What a nonsense quote. It is not because things have been in place for 100 years that there should not be progress. There has been slavery for hundred years too and it used to be legal to beat your wife...

With your mentality this country will never move forward as fast as we want. Luckily The General might be able to help.

And to add to the list(even with a WP)

@ Crocodile farm in Samut Prakan

@ Most temples in Ayutthaya

@ National Park Kao Lak (North of Phuket)

• Like 1

That is the standard in more places than you think. Not everyone does it, in fact I have paid less as a farang on occasion.

sliding scale pricing is pretty common for tourists all over. I have seen it many times in the US. My wife(Thai) just make it a habit to never give repeat business to shops that charge extra. Sooner or later, word will get around.