Does U.S. Embassy retain old passport after renewal?

tgarrett100

Previous information regarding timing of passport renewal is appreciated. Forgot to ask if U.S. Embassy keeps my old passport - the one with my current Thai retirement visa stamp in it?

If so, what to I do about the passport page requirements (original visa, pages with extension stamps, etc.)?

If not (returned to me), I presume that I take both passports - old and new - with the same visa history page copies from the old passport, including the still valid but expiring and being renewed visa, to Immigration for the visa extension process?

Will be most obliged for response from the forum.

Thank you.

Terry Garrett

Just repeating what was already said....get old passport back with punch holes.

But if you are on any type of extended visa you need to go to immigration and have them transfer the old visa into your new passport. Anyway that's what they told me (and what I did) when I got my new passport early last year from embassy (then went to immigration for them to put in my new passport for retirement visa and multiple entry)

The only time they keep the old one is when you apply at one of the Outreach visits. The old pp will be returned to you along with the new one.

They will also give you a letter that you take to immigration to get your stamps put in the new pp.

As already stated - passport returned with holes punched in it. A letter to present to immigration requesting your permission of stay information transferred to the new passport. You can get the passport transfer form from the CM immigration site for the new passport information. I'll be doing it this month and already downloaded the form. You can also download the passport application form DS-82 from the embassy/consulate website.

• Like 1

Does immigration ask you for any copies of pages in the old passport when making the transfer?

To be honest ....can't really remember ..

But where I go to immigration there is a shop outside that makes whatever copies I need and forgot (that immigration requires) for a few baht...so for me never really a problem.

Sorry can't be more definitive as it was a year and half ago!

• 3 months later...

Does immigration ask you for any copies of pages in the old passport when making the transfer?

Yes they do. I did this last week. They have a form to fill out and you will need a copy of the picture page on your new passport. The process involved both the visa section and the exit stamp section. There was no charge.