Investing in Thailand

I would like to know what the best investment returns are in Thailand.

I love real estate personally but in Thailand I have been really confused. It seems ROI is about 16 years on average.

My wife hates real estate and she trades on the SET....averages about 100k baht/ month profit with an invest of abt 2 mill baht invested. She's happy because she earns more than if she worked for someone, but she shirks at risking beyond where she is. I keep out of this particular decision out of respect.

Obviously private investment can yield better than both above examples, so my question is

What's a good bet for us foreign punters wanting to earn an income without contravening Thai Law. I love land as I say, but I think a good business would be good.

To be frank I've got nothing to lose..the truth is what's happening. She generates abt 100 k bht a month day trading on her investment base. And no rocket science, she talks to her mom and sister and they read the business section of the paper and read on the Internet. And the whole family trades individually.

I wanted to buy a property with set rental return and she laughed at the ROI.

Her gain comes with risk of loss I guess. Fact is fact and that's what she gets. Her family all trade and I guess that is their thing.

I want a more stable business.... Hence the question.

If you want a passive investment, consider the BTS Rail Mass Transit Growth Infrastructure Fund.

Basicially they bought some lines off the BTS and currently pay Divvie Yield of 6.42%

“BTSGIF is the infrastructure fund; its initial assets invested by the Fund are net farebox revenues to be generated from the operation of core green lines sky train covering of 23.5 km., consisting of 2 lines (Mo Chit-On Nut, and Taksin Bridge-National Stadium). The concession in respect of Core Sky Train will expire in approximately 17 years (until 4 December 2029). The investment cost totals Baht 61,399 million.”

http://btsgif.com/

Doesn't trade a lot some days, then heaps the next day.

Not an exciting Stock, but worthy of consideration.

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/BTSGIF/F:TB

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/BTSGIF%2FF:TB/chart

Sorry Razz, not sure what a Ponzi scheme is except that it's some sort of con or something.

No my wife has a little network going. She and the others call each other everyday and swap tips and stock rumours. Then she trades on a quick turnover philosophy. So she might buy and sell the same stock 3 or 4 times a week if it's a bit volatile. But she keeps about 10 stocks on the go so she's always got something to cycle.

It seems the secret is in how many times you can recycle a stock in a week, so the 2 or 2 1/2 mill just gets worked a lot.

Sorry Razz, not sure what a Ponzi scheme is except that it's some sort of con or something.

No my wife has a little network going. She and the others call each other everyday and swap tips and stock rumours. Then she trades on a quick turnover philosophy. So she might buy and sell the same stock 3 or 4 times a week if it's a bit volatile. But she keeps about 10 stocks on the go so she's always got something to cycle.

It seems the secret is in how many times you can recycle a stock in a week, so the 2 or 2 1/2 mill just gets worked a lot.

Yep, 5% a month and with quick turnover of stocks each day/week.....how much does one trade cost?....the 5 % suddenly becomes a lot more in the gross figure. Do the same as her as I dont see the "obvious private investment yielding more" or any other investment for that matter......seriously, if shes that good, Neil Woodfrod formally Invesco Perpetual has gone independent....he would snap her up as an investment manager for his new fund.

• Like 2

It's a long known fact that different people have different risk profiles. Also a fact is that the higher the returns, there are generally higher risks. I'd like to learn from your wife and her family. It sounds like a good earner to me. Hang onto her.

She normally keeps her transactions to about 200 000k baht hence abt 10 stocks revolving. I had a big discussion with her because she advocates the fast turnover, whereas I invested to gain dividends. At the end of the day I had to agree that the way she recycles her stocks so quickly adds up. Lots of trades and small but regular sales. One thing she relys heavily on is monitoring volumes being traded. So if the stock is being traded buoyantly she knows to buy and or set her selling price.

To be frank I've got nothing to lose..the truth is what's happening. She generates abt 100 k bht a month day trading on her investment base. And no rocket science, she talks to her mom and sister and they read the business section of the paper and read on the Internet. And the whole family trades individually.

I wanted to buy a property with set rental return and she laughed at the ROI.

Her gain comes with risk of loss I guess. Fact is fact and that's what she gets. Her family all trade and I guess that is their thing.

I want a more stable business.... Hence the question.

Good earner! I would like a wife like that. Is her sister married?

• Like 1

A good bet for you would be to give your wife THB 2mio and let her double her current trades laugh.png

I suspect in reality she is highlighting the months she has done well, or hasn't been doing it long enough to generate meaningful average monthly returns.

I recall someone starting off on here posting about being new to Thai investments. They were doing well in a rising market for several months. Then the thread went quiet smile.png

Two questions for her, you might want to ask which would shed a lot of light:

1) How much did she make per month in 2013?

2) How much did she make per month in 2008?

One question for you

3) Do you really believe her answers to the questions above?

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile
  • Like 2

Sorry but these claims of returns by your wife are utter and complete BS

If you do the math on the returns

BY the end of a years trading you would be worth in excess of 11 million GB pounds

I suspect the post is some attempt at scam as you expect people to be foolish enough to ask you to 'invest' their money when they see the Baht signs at the returns.

Stick to the boiler room or time share scratch cards

• Like 2

Although not sure why the OP must invest in Thailand only, if these funds are indeed limited to investment in Thailand, some ideas could be:

- Quality, highly rentable, condo in top location

- Shares in some promising companies listed on the SET

- Various funds traded in Thailand (as proposed by some above)

- Thai government bonds or Thai corporate bonds issued by solid Thai companies

- Basket of currencies in multi-currency account held in Thai bank

What the best investment returns are depend on the level of risk taken and the investment period.

Edited by Globalist

I fully agree with fletchsmile here. You certainly can have such good results in certain periods, but not in the long term. The law of gravity applies also to finance/investments, sooner or later highflyers are brought back to earth and the average results over long periods are in a more normal range.

Stick to your day job matey..she averages 100 000 bht/ month. Where on earth did you get 11 M GB pounds. You obviously struggle with maths so I will just laugh at your post.

Thai Baht... GB Pounds... what difference does it make? cheesy.gif

Ok, 5% a month with compounding over 10 years will provide about 350 times the initial investment. I will assume the op will combine his cash with hers. He must have At least a few million to be contemplating property. She can also borrow a small sum from the bank. The kitty can grow to 10 million, after 10 years they will be worth 3.5 billion baht....65 million pounds.

Let's revisit in 10 years....see if they are then very very very rich.....or broke....

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Ok, 5% a month with compounding over 10 years will provide about 350 times the initial investment. I will assume the op will combine his cash with hers. He must have At least a few million to be contemplating property. She can also borrow a small sum from the bank. The kitty can grow to 10 million, after 10 years they will be worth 3.5 billion baht....65 million pounds.

Let's revisit in 10 years....see if they are then very very very rich.....or broke....

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Actually it would be better if we both visit and revisit our figures using an actual calculator.

The calculation above is pure nonsense. No relationship even to simple mental arithmetic.

Let's do an actual example: 2,000,000 invested over 10 years @ 5% with interest added each month and compounded would total 3294019

so that's 2 million which compounds to about 3.3 million baht.

Yes please use an actual calculator then maybe you might get a correct answer. But first, start with 10 million not 2 million. And second, compound at 5% per month, not per year because 5% a month is the claim.

Sent from my GT-I8262 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes please use an actual calculator then maybe you might get a correct answer. But first, start with 10 million not 2 million. And second, compound at 5% per month, not per year because 5% a month is the claim.

Sent from my GT-I8262 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Where does this 10 million figure come from? Secondly, it is not clear from the OP how long his wife has been trading with the 2 million pot, but if I were he I might want to see a record of the transactions. If she has done pretty well over the last year, then there is no reason why the OP cannot either set up a parallel 2 million pot over the next year or more conservatively set up a dummy account on google finance and track the trades forwards over the next 6 months. She may well have knocked up 60% over a 12 month period. A longer term strategy might be to siphon 50% of the profits into prime property ie take some of the trading profits off the table.

Edited by SheungWan

As your wife makes 60% ROI per annum, she is a superstar investor and could set up as a fund manager. She could make $millions. She's one of the best investors in the whole world. I'm being serious. Fund managers that make 10% a year get paid millions. But your wife makes 60%. WOW.

I suspect either you or she is making this up. Or maybe she made 100K baht once.

• Like 1