Defence volunteer fatally shot in Pattani

webfact

Defence volunteer fatally shot in Pattani
The Nation

30236029-01_big.jpg

PATTANI: -- A defence volunteer was fatally shot yesterday in Pattani's Sai Buri, though the victim managed to shoot back at an attacker. The volunteer later succumbed to his injuries in hospital.

The victim, Anuchit Kongkaew, 47, was driving in a pickup truck in tambon Lahan when at least five suspected insurgents in another pickup truck cut in front of his truck and opened fire at him at 10.30am.

One attacker then approached Anuchit to shoot him at close range, but Anuchit shot back, leading to a brief gunfight before the attackers fled the scene. Anuchit then called for help.

Police collected a total of 56 spent cartridges from the shooting scene and said they believed insurgents were behind the attack.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-12

I can not imagine the angst that the people of South Thailand live with daily...hundreds have been murdered...this must come to a stop...whatever it takes...this is unacceptable...people should not have to live in fear for their lives...

• Like 2

The Junta needs to take a heavy handed approach to these insurgents.

I am sure this is on the generals to do list.

Probably not.

Firstly, it's not on the roadmap to getting the country properly democratic. It has nothing to do with the rampant corruption, poor electoral laws etc.

Secondly, it's not politically expedient right now (for the junta).

Thirdly, it's too hard. How do you do it? Diplomacy is the only way, or do you think the American model of shock and awe and to hell with collateral damage is the way to go?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Probably not.

Firstly, it's not on the roadmap to getting the country properly democratic. It has nothing to do with the rampant corruption, poor electoral laws etc.

Thirdly, it's too hard. How do you do it? Diplomacy is the only way, or do you think the American model of shock and awe and to hell with collateral damage is the way to go?

The shock and awe model has been replaced by daring one to step over the red line...when one does...the red line is moved and the process repeats itself...and then there are sanctions...where America has trouble finding any allies willing to support their impotent efforts...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Probably not.

The shock and awe model has been replaced by daring one to step over the red line...when one does...the red line is moved and the process repeats itself...and then there are sanctions...where America has trouble finding any allies willing to support their impotent efforts...

Not to stray off topic for too long, is it any wonder the US has trouble finding allies after Idiot Bush's last two invasions?

The point I was making was that soldiers going in and doing what soldiers do will achieve nothing except much innocent blood shed. Who are the insurgents? How do you recognise them? It would be an international scandal, not to mention a domestic one.

I am hoping this general is bright enough and stern enough and lasts long enough to get around to dealing with these murderers. It will take a bravely intelligent man to conjur up any kind of "peace" down there. Maybe they could ask the west for some drones?

I have been thinking lately that it would take a "walk softly, but carry a big stick" approach, seeing how all the last govt's have failed.

Just sayin'