Input from other cyclists please

intel4004

Am living about 6 miles outside of Chiang Mai and was wondering about cycling into town. I've seen the odd farang doing so and was looking for input from other cyclists. I am an experienced and keen cyclist and used to London traffic. Though I'm only here for 4 months I'd like advice about avoiding accidents and keeping a bike secure when in town shopping.

Thanks

It can be pretty hairy riding with traffic on the highways, and even more so going against the grain. Living that far out, for a little extra baht you might be able to get a songteaw to haul you and your bike in at least close enough so it's safer riding. However, you might just try riding in all the way to see if it suits you. many people do.

Get a beefy cable lock, and tie that bike up every time. I have lost two bikes to theft here, and they weren't anything special.

Riding a bike inside the city is by far the best way to get around town. You can easily beat a car or motorbike from A to B when there is traffic, which is 3/4 of the time.

Be careful, and welcome.

• Like 2

It can be pretty hairy riding with traffic on the highways, and even more so going against the grain. Living that far out, for a little extra baht you might be able to get a songteaw to haul you and your bike in at least close enough so it's safer riding. However, you might just try riding in all the way to see if it suits you. many people do.

Get a beefy cable lock, and tie that bike up every time. I have lost two bikes to theft here, and they weren't anything special.

Riding a bike inside the city is by far the best way to get around town. You can easily beat a car or motorbike from A to B when there is traffic, which is 3/4 of the time.

Be careful, and welcome.

Yes though I have use of a Hilux I would rather cycle so I can go anywhere esp when the destination is old town. Now all I need is a good lock!

Anyone selling a Brompton? smile.png

I've ridden many times from Bo Sang into town and have never had an issue with traffic aside from smog. The biggest safety concern is with vehicles parking in the motorbike/bicycle lane, forcing you to merge right into traffic.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Having been cycling since I was 7 I've developed a 6th sense which has served me well when cycling. Looks like you've developed one as well. wai2.gif

The only drawback about those small sois is...dogs, especially dogs in packs. There's no good way to deal with this, short of jumping of the bike and using it as a shield/weapon. I would really like to carry a sjambok, but with the current state of affairs that might not be wise.

I love dogs, but here they are a serious problem.

• Like 2

Touch wood I have never been bitten by an dog yet. I never seem to get bothered by dogs anymore but if they do come charging out you have to act tougher than them, shout and point, look angry, slam the brakes on. The dogs confidence evaporates and run back or have second thoughts. Pedal off normally repeat if needed.

I love cycling!

I have sent my hybrid bike here last week and sending my road bike next month. I really look forward to riding my bikes here too.

I just discovered a cycling cafe in nimman, cant remember the soi. It s called Kafe roubaix. The owners ( 2 Thai guys) are pretty nice.

You can lock your bike there safely. You even get a discount if you come on your bike I think.

by the way, what happened to chiangmai night rider in meet up? I joined the group awhile ago as someone here recommended by no more friday night ride event anymore?

Any other active group I can join?

• Like 1

Where you have to cycle by parked cars, be careful of car door opening into your path. Also, be careful at intersections along the boat where folks turning left will sometimes cut you off. Had my first accident that way last winter after using a bike for 11 years. The driver who hit me had insurance and everything was paid for ((30,000 baht limit) while still there but still having issues at home.

I've ridden many times from Bo Sang into town and have never had an issue with traffic aside from smog. The biggest safety concern is with vehicles parking in the motorbike/bicycle lane, forcing you to merge right into traffic.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Be careful of sand/gravel/dirt on the edges of roads. Plenty of tyre repair shops around Chiang Mai if your tyre gets punctured. I've been told that Thai innertubes are better than Chinese inner tubes and that most new bikes (if not all) use Chinese inner tubes. Otherwise, enjoy getting off the beaten track. I notice many more details riding my mountain bike than I do riding my scooter. wai2.gif

• Like 1

Whilst stopped at a red light I often ride my mountain bike to the front of the queue, just like scooters and motorcycles do. Then I often ask a motorcyclist, "Sawatdee khrap. Khangkun my?" which means, "Hello, wanna race?". The smiles, laughs and animated responses are absolutely priceless. Even policemen on motorcycles can't help but laugh.

Anyone who thinks that Thailand is no longer the land of smiles has never done this! biggrin.png

• Like 1

9,000 miles of riding near Chiang Mai, and maybe two issues with drivers. I like to bike on the same roads, then i really understand the traffic. It takes a bit to find what feels good. It also takes time to figure out what time of the day works best, if you have option. It's all common sense, really. Watch the TIRES of cars on the side street. If they start to move, get ready. Also, look most drivers in the eyes so they really see you. When in doubt, relax, don't tense up when passing 100 cars waiting for a light. sure, some is luck. maybe wear very bright clothes, lights, etc....put stickers on the bike to make it look cheaper. this might sound crazy, but if you can lock the bike and actually walk the final push (if final destination very busy) that might take a lot of stress off. sometimes i have no idea how i survive, but i just keep my head up, concentrate, and think of all possible scenarios. then, when i have 10-miles of open road, attack.

• Like 1

I ride my bike to town from near Mae Rim almost every Monday when a woman cleans our house. I can ride through the Don Kaew area and basically get all the way through Kamtiang Market without seeing much traffic at all. It's a convoluted route and required a ton of trial and error, but there are no dogs or dodgy traffic.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

By the way, I got my bike stolen 8 times. So now I dont bother having a lock anymore.

I just take it with me wherever I go.

Oh dear, really interested to know what kind of locks did you use and did you lock to something sturdy.

Back in the UK when I used to live in London I used Krytonite New York Fahgettaboudit or a recognised U-lock and I would generally use 2 locks. Been cycling since I was 7 and never had a bike stolen, I'm very security conscious. People in general are far too careless with their bike security most not having a clue how to lock their bike properly.

Would love to have a brompton here but they are expensive, wouldn't survive the roads in Chiang Mai, but you wouldn't need a lock as you could just fold it and take it with you.

I cycle around chiang mai just as I would in the UK. Go to the market, go to tesco. Ride on trails around the city. Do small chill out rides down the soi's to Chedi luang at dusk. Ride up doi suthip , whatever.
You definitely can cycle into the city from 6 miles out no problem. It will give you freedom to explore and to really get to know the city and different areas. You will enjoy it, guaranteed.
There is a but , a however, some negative stuff. The hang dong road is one of the worst roads to cycle on. Pollution, hot and plenty of crazy traffic speeding by. If you had to cycle into the city at 0900 and head out at 1700 everyday it would awful on this road. I cycle out your way quite a bit but I take an alternative route. Down small soi's (very small in some cases, too small for cars!) from the old city area until you get near airport plaza where I join hangdong road. I do about 300m down the hangdong road before I turn left down another quiet soi. Instant peace and quiet , less traffic and slower moving. You wind through the soi's and still village like bits of chiang mai until you come out on the next dual carriage way. This is road that connects big C homepro to global house. If you go the other way you go to mai hia market. This is another hell road for bikes. So it's a few hundred metres before you get a chance to cross to the other side and u turn . Short distance again and you turn down a small soi into peace and quiet. I go through the phu fah estate , lanes, countryside, go through wang tan or not . Lots of ways cycle through don pin , San Pak wan area. From here you can use small roads countryside all the way to ban tawai, hang dong, lamphun . I very very rarely cycle down the hang dong road or any other similar type roads if I can avoid it because its shit cycling.
I don't feel in any real danger on these type of roads but you do have to be cautious and be ready to give way even when you have right of way. Thailand is not a place for road rage or screaming abuse at people if they have just nearly hit you. When the traffic light turns green you can't sprint off like in the UK. Why? Because there may be 5 more cars speeding through the just turned red light each one just following one in front. You will see lots mental, jaw dropping stuff so be cautious until you are familiar with the roads and junctions.
First bike I had in chiang mai was a giant hard tail mtb in 2003. Really opened the city up. Best thing I ever bought over here. Off road on doi suthip, put road tyres on and a rack , bit of touring. Weaving through the quiet soi's to wherever in the city. If you are in a car you just can't do this. You can on a motorbike which I do sometimes but a bike is silent, you can hear everything.
Security wise I would say its a lot safer locking your bike up here. I use a u lock but the locals don't seem to. People leave their lights, panniers etc and nobody seems rob them! I lock my bike up but not the quick release wheels and they are still there when I come back! It's not like London but I wouldn't leave my bike locked up outside overnight or leave it without a lock.

Another poster on this thread said they had 8 bikes stolen!! Anyway the family I'm house sitting for have left me some bikes to use and a piddly little lock. Am going to see if I can get something decent lockwise, to be fair they only use bikes for local use. Coming from the UK where everyone is security conscious I do believe Chiang Mai is safer but I still wouldn't take any chances. Back in the UK I ride recumbents and have done for the last 15 years due to a bad back, they are super comfortable and my recumbent would be perfect here with its air suspension. Would love to do that route you are talking about but would track it with my GPS or I'd get completely lost. Don't suppose you've a GPX of the route that I could import into OSMand on my smartphone? Maybe I could shadow you one day but I would need to sort out a lock first.

With the road layout, a lane on the left is for cyclists AND motorcyclists. Riding a motorcycle regularly on such roads, I've been caught out a number of times by the slower speed of the cyclists.

I would avoid these busy roads if I were you.

I cycle regularly around small sois, traffic is no problem and I feel safe. Only issue is dogs, but they're not so common nowadays.

With the road layout, a lane on the left is for cyclists AND motorcyclists. Riding a motorcycle regularly on such roads, I've been caught out a number of times by the slower speed of the cyclists.

I would avoid these busy roads if I were you.

I cycle regularly around small sois, traffic is no problem and I feel safe. Only issue is dogs, but they're not so common nowadays.

I will bear that in mind. When I cycle in england I use front and back flashing LED lights day and night even one on my cycle helmet. Used to dogs and feel confident around them but I am wary of them. Best not to take anything for granted.

I forgot to mention that my first 5 times happened in Amsterdam while I was studying there ( 2 years).

Three last times happened in my neighborhood Soi Ari in Bangkok. The last one was the Japanese housewife kinda bike which I parked near the market.

I had 3 locks on that bike, and I went to buy some veggie for 30 min maybe. By the time I came back it was gone.

Another time was that I parked my bike, then went in to order coffee, by the time i got a coffee it was gone.

Now I kept all my 7 bikes in my condo. I dont even park it downstair. I am just too scared of anyone take my bike again!

almost like a phobia now...

sorry it was just from my bad experience, perhaps i am over-react !

Best to lock your bike up . My bikes are a Tricross and a Kona Africa bike which is mostly the one that gets locked up outside when i am shopping. Sorry I don't have any GPS points for that route. From hangdong it would be some pleasant exploring through the countryside to get to the city. Loads of ways in. Follow the river or Head towards doi suthip mountain and come in via Mai Hia, doi kam and arrive in the city in the chiang mai university area. This way you may only cross hang dong road. Cold drinks and restaurants are everywhere.

I forgot to mention that my first 5 times happened in Amsterdam while I was studying there ( 2 years).

Three last times happened in my neighborhood Soi Ari in Bangkok. The last one was the Japanese housewife kinda bike which I parked near the market.

I had 3 locks on that bike, and I went to buy some veggie for 30 min maybe. By the time I came back it was gone.

Another time was that I parked my bike, then went in to order coffee, by the time i got a coffee it was gone.

Now I kept all my 7 bikes in my condo. I dont even park it downstair. I am just too scared of anyone take my bike again!

almost like a phobia now...

sorry it was just from my bad experience, perhaps i am over-react !

I buy decent bikes, they are my sole means of transport and no low life is going to get my bike easily. If they do they are going to have to work for it. I've seen what locks people use and the methods they use and it doesn't surprise me they get stolen.

You need to be looking at locks like this or wave goodbye to your investment. I don't care if I'm within the vatican or the roughest neighbourhood I always use two locks such as these.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kryptonite-Evolution-Kryptoflex-Cable-Bracket/dp/B005YPK9VQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1402678747&sr=8-2&keywords=kryptonite

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-OF178-GP-Chain-Lock/dp/B0036SUEOK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1402679041&sr=8-6&keywords=bike+lock

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Abus-Catena-Chain-Black-75cm/dp/B001BPDRU8/ref=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&qid=1402679101&sr=8-33&keywords=bike+lock

Okay I think you get the idea. Maybe in 40 years of cycling thats why I never had a bike stolen. A determined, professional well equipped thief will get through any lock no matter how good but most bike thieves are opportunists who see an easy picking. They don't want it if its too much hassle which is why even rubbish bikes get stolen because the owners used cheap locks. Simples smile.png

• 2 weeks later...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Touch wood I have never been bitten by an dog yet. I never seem to get bothered by dogs anymore but if they do come charging out you have to act tougher than them, shout and point, look angry, slam the brakes on. The dogs confidence evaporates and run back or have second thoughts. Pedal off normally repeat if needed.

9,000 miles of riding near Chiang Mai, and maybe two issues with drivers. I like to bike on the same roads, then i really understand the traffic. It takes a bit to find what feels good. It also takes time to figure out what time of the day works best, if you have option. It's all common sense, really. Watch the TIRES of cars on the side street. If they start to move, get ready. Also, look most drivers in the eyes so they really see you. When in doubt, relax, don't tense up when passing 100 cars waiting for a light. sure, some is luck. maybe wear very bright clothes, lights, etc....put stickers on the bike to make it look cheaper. this might sound crazy, but if you can lock the bike and actually walk the final push (if final destination very busy) that might take a lot of stress off. sometimes i have no idea how i survive, but i just keep my head up, concentrate, and think of all possible scenarios. then, when i have 10-miles of open road, attack.

Guys you seem to be keen cyclists. I have last week cycled the Canal Rd in and out of CM several times and am quite happy to continue to do this. I am now thinking of buying a secondhand bicycle and was recently offered one quiet cheaply. Its an LA model, a folder, made here in Thailand I believe. Only problem is its too small for me but with some adjustments it could work. In the two bike shops I've been in so far in Thailand I've been really disappointed in their range of accessories they carry very poor indeed. Maybe I've been spoilt in the UK. Are there any shops which carry a full range of accessories, i.e. panniers, lights, mudguards, locks (staff who can speak english).

If I am to buy this bike there are two things I really do need after having a short test ride:

Longer seat tube, (similar to what you would get on a Dahon folder, length wise i.e. 900mm, am guessing a 27.2mm diameter).

Suspension spring, see here (something you might also find on a cheap mountain bike I would presume).

Am I likely to source these in Chiang Mai?

Cheers

Edited by intel4004

Looks like we've got a strong farang biking brotherhood here. OK, sisters entirely welcome, but around here the only ladies i ever see on bicycles are Chinese on rentals in the inner city, drifting all over the street, looking one way and steering another, etc. They're cute, though, with those little straw hats.

There's a video somewhere on youtube that shows how you can pop open the original style Kryptonite lock using the barrel of a cheap ballpoint pen. Really, I think the only foolproof security is to have your bike always within sight of your own two eyes.

Was down this morning at my personal favorite shop, Jacky Bike off Nimman. They just got in a shipment of lovely new Treks. I crave one of those, but those beautiful frames, all tricked out with the finest accessories, just scream out: STEAL ME! There's nothing like that feeling of shock, disbelief, and loss, when you get back to where you locked your bike, and all that remains is the cut cable, laying in the dirt, just one last F- You to you. it doesn't even have to be a fancy bike, some mugglehead will rip you off if given any sort of opportunity. Even here in laid-back Chiang Mai, the Rose of the North.

Jacky's guy fixed my flat tire in five minutes and only charged me TWENTY baht!

Guys you seem to be keen cyclists. I have last week cycled the Canal Rd in and out of CM several times and am quite happy to continue to do this. I am now thinking of buying a secondhand bicycle and was recently offered one quiet cheaply. Its an LA model, a folder, made here in Thailand I believe. Only problem is its too small for me but with some adjustments it could work. In the two bike shops I've been in so far in Thailand I've been really disappointed in their range of accessories they carry very poor indeed. Maybe I've been spoilt in the UK. Are there any shops which carry a full range of accessories, i.e. panniers, lights, mudguards, locks (staff who can speak english).

If I am to buy this bike there are two things I really do need after having a short test ride:

Longer seat tube, (similar to what you would get on a Dahon folder, length wise i.e. 900mm, am guessing a 27.2mm diameter).

Suspension spring, see here (something you might also find on a cheap mountain bike I would presume).

Cheers

There is a good selection of bikes and bike gear in CM but you can't rely on one shop to have everything. So for example if you wanted a decent pair of panniers you might go to Velocity( near maya), Jacky bikes, Chaitawat within the moat, Top Gear near Kad Luang, TCA....all of them could have what you want but they don't carry a lot of stock so hopefully at least one of the will have something suitable.

I am not sure you will be able secure an extra long seat post though. If you do a tour of the bike shops and there are more than what I listed above you should see some decent folders mainly Dahons.

I did see a basic but half decent Second hand Dahon in one of the second hand Japanese bike shops that appear around the city. I don't know if you have seen any of these shops? They are not proper bike shops but they get container loads of old Japanese bikes( considered junk in Japan) fix them up a bit and sell them. Still better bikes than anything for sale in Tesco or made in Thailand. The Dahon I saw was in shop next to Chang Phuak bus station, on the corner. 5000 baht, decent frame , gears, alloy wheels, old but ok however it was about a month ago.

Cheers

There is a good selection of bikes and bike gear in CM but you can't rely on one shop to have everything. So for example if you wanted a decent pair of panniers you might go to Velocity( near maya), Jacky bikes, Chaitawat within the moat, Top Gear near Kad Luang, TCA....all of them could have what you want but they don't carry a lot of stock so hopefully at least one of the will have something suitable.

I am not sure you will be able secure an extra long seat post though. If you do a tour of the bike shops and there are more than what I listed above you should see some decent folders mainly Dahons.

I did see a basic but half decent Second hand Dahon in one of the second hand Japanese bike shops that appear around the city. I don't know if you have seen any of these shops? They are not proper bike shops but they get container loads of old Japanese bikes( considered junk in Japan) fix them up a bit and sell them. Still better bikes than anything for sale in Tesco or made in Thailand. The Dahon I saw was in shop next to Chang Phuak bus station, on the corner. 5000 baht, decent frame , gears, alloy wheels, old but ok however it was about a month ago.

Oh wow didn't realise there were some secondhand bike shops around CM. I guess I will have to take a trek aound the city the see if I can scour a deal. Good to know I could end up with a secondhand Dahon for £100! Thanks for that little gem smile.png

You wouldn't happen to have a street name where you saw the Dahon?

Edited by intel4004