Input from other cyclists please

intel4004

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Touch wood I have never been bitten by an dog yet. I never seem to get bothered by dogs anymore but if they do come charging out you have to act tougher than them, shout and point, look angry, slam the brakes on. The dogs confidence evaporates and run back or have second thoughts. Pedal off normally repeat if needed.

9,000 miles of riding near Chiang Mai, and maybe two issues with drivers. I like to bike on the same roads, then i really understand the traffic. It takes a bit to find what feels good. It also takes time to figure out what time of the day works best, if you have option. It's all common sense, really. Watch the TIRES of cars on the side street. If they start to move, get ready. Also, look most drivers in the eyes so they really see you. When in doubt, relax, don't tense up when passing 100 cars waiting for a light. sure, some is luck. maybe wear very bright clothes, lights, etc....put stickers on the bike to make it look cheaper. this might sound crazy, but if you can lock the bike and actually walk the final push (if final destination very busy) that might take a lot of stress off. sometimes i have no idea how i survive, but i just keep my head up, concentrate, and think of all possible scenarios. then, when i have 10-miles of open road, attack.

Guys you seem to be keen cyclists. I have last week cycled the Canal Rd in and out of CM several times and am quite happy to continue to do this. I am now thinking of buying a secondhand bicycle and was recently offered one quiet cheaply. Its an LA model, a folder, made here in Thailand I believe. Only problem is its too small for me but with some adjustments it could work. In the two bike shops I've been in so far in Thailand I've been really disappointed in their range of accessories they carry very poor indeed. Maybe I've been spoilt in the UK. Are there any shops which carry a full range of accessories, i.e. panniers, lights, mudguards, locks (staff who can speak english).

If I am to buy this bike there are two things I really do need after having a short test ride:

Longer seat tube, (similar to what you would get on a Dahon folder, length wise i.e. 900mm, am guessing a 27.2mm diameter).

Suspension spring, see here (something you might also find on a cheap mountain bike I would presume).

Am I likely to source these in Chiang Mai?

Cheers

There is a good selection of bikes and bike gear in CM but you can't rely on one shop to have everything. So for example if you wanted a decent pair of panniers you might go to Velocity( near maya), Jacky bikes, Chaitawat within the moat, Top Gear near Kad Luang, TCA....all of them could have what you want but they don't carry a lot of stock so hopefully at least one of the will have something suitable.

I am not sure you will be able secure an extra long seat post though. If you do a tour of the bike shops and there are more than what I listed above you should see some decent folders mainly Dahons.

I did see a basic but half decent Second hand Dahon in one of the second hand Japanese bike shops that appear around the city. I don't know if you have seen any of these shops? They are not proper bike shops but they get container loads of old Japanese bikes( considered junk in Japan) fix them up a bit and sell them. Still better bikes than anything for sale in Tesco or made in Thailand. The Dahon I saw was in shop next to Chang Phuak bus station, on the corner. 5000 baht, decent frame , gears, alloy wheels, old but ok however it was about a month ago.

Oh wow didn't realise there were some secondhand bike shops around CM. I guess I will have to take a trek aound the city the see if I can scour a deal. Good to know I could end up with a secondhand Dahon for £100! Thanks for that little gem smile.png

You wouldn't happen to have a street name where you saw the Dahon?

I saw the Dahon at the shop next Chang Phuak bus station, which is north of Chang Phuak gate about 400m up. These bikes were all heading for the dump in Japan but get shipped to Thailand. You have to get lucky to find a half decent one but its possible.

I was at the end of Rattanakosin road( end nearest to Arcade bus station) a few Sundays ago and was quite surprised to come across two road side shops selling second hand bikes and also the the jap bikes. The surprising thing was amongst the junk there were a couple of giant racing bikes modern ones, a kona Jake! a Kona Dew and a new tandem. The thing that surprised me the most was a stall set up on the side of the road selling decent bike gear. I was very shocked to see 5000 baht Brooks saddles being sold at the side road on a stall. Amazing Thailand. I spoke to the lady running the stall called Lek from Lek bike shop. She puts loads of her shop stock in a pickup and sets up this stall on a Sunday.

• Like 1

This Lek stall is great for finding falang sizes and other clothing, I picked up a nice pair of full length biking pants and well as padded shorts for my boys. With the used shops down the street it's a fun place to poke around on a Sunday morning.