Thai dishes to order

intel4004

If you're new to Chiang Mai, I would suggest dropping into the At Nine Nimman restaurant upstairs at the corner of Nimmanheimen Road and Soi 9. They have a great selection of yummy Thai food at reasonable prices. Their menu is extensive, including many items that are not spicy, with both Thai and English names and photos.

Some of my favorite dishes are:

phat kapow moo (but can be spicy unless you tell them "phet nitnoi")

sin lek moo (make it as spicy as you want)

phat sii yuu moo (again make it as spicy as you want)

If you want any more restaurant suggestions, feel free to PM me. I've lived in CM for 3 years now.

Ging Jok Tod

Ngu pad ped

Gaang takuad

Gang juut ma

This is the Chiang Mai forum....not Isaan Forum.......I have had all four of the above in various states.....however the worst was a grilled centipede.

You have to order Sum Tam Thai (or sum tam farang) = not spicy. It can be an excellent dish and the locals will really enjoy you trying it. And of course you eat it with khao niao...(sticky rice).

• Like 1

Keep in mind that NO ONE is checking the cleanliness or safety of any of the food joints in Thailand. NO ONE! The meat that you eat, may or may not be the one that you want to eat. The "delicious" flavor may come from poisonous ingredients. It is not against the law and no one will check.

Oh for heavens sake, get a life. There are cheap food joints all over the world that have cockroaches running about the kitchen.

Street food is one of the great things about this region.

We seem to have a few members that are obsessed about the truly poisonous food in Thaland. Are you going to live longer by not eating it- probably not.

Getting back to the OP

Top man gumm deep fried prawn cake

For once I'm inclined to agree.

You should try

'gai/goong/boo pad pong ga-ree' - chicken/shrimp/crab fried in Indian curry powder.

'pad pak ruam mit' - stir fried vegetables (one of my favourites)

'pad tuang ok, moo sub' - stir fried bean sprouts with mince(ground) pork.

If you're in CM, try 'nam prig ong' - mince pork in a slightly spicy tomato sauce, great with fresh veg or spaghetti!

Keep in mind that NO ONE is checking the cleanliness or safety of any of the food joints in Thailand. NO ONE! The meat that you eat, may or may not be the one that you want to eat. The "delicious" flavor may come from poisonous ingredients. It is not against the law and no one will check.

Just amazing. I suppose that explains why the streets are littered with the bodies of people who eat here. Is there any thread that doesn't bring the chronic Thai bashers. whiners & other little old ladies out of the woodwork?

"The meat that you eat, may or may not be the one that you want to eat. "

Are you thinking of the famous Ikea meatballs ... must be an old Isaan recipe they were using, right?

IKEA1.jpg

And in the wonderful nanny state world of farang NO ONE every gets bad food ... NO ONE!

0700980201007.png

Edited by Suradit69

yeah, ain't that great--government staying out of business

I can recommend from personal experience that you should not eat the Crispy Fish Bowel when you've taken a drink or two.

Unless, of course, you are severely constipated, in which case I'd recommend it.

Gaeng Massaman Gai/Nua .

Chicken or beef with potatoes and peanuts in a thick soup like sauce is one of my favourites with its own unique taste and not spicy . Guarantee you will love it . Not always easy to find but more available in the north of Thailand . Also if someone can recommend a restaurant that is known for a good Massaman all the better

Khao (Cow) - Could be white, knee, leg, mountain, rice and a lot more....

Pak - Pack your stuff

Gai (Guy) - Gay, far away, or near, depending on your amount of teeth...

Moo - Pork ( Pigs don't Moo...) could be village too/

Goong - Prawns Gong in a temple makes that sound...

Pla - Fish Bla, bla bla.on bar stools..

Boo - Crab ( If somebody says some weird shit in Sisaket, just say Boo.Can also be a sort of surprise, or maybe a crab.... .)

Talay - Seafood (mixed) ( misunderstood by you, the seafood is Talee, doesn't mean mixed at all...

Khai - Egg Could be my eggs, somebody, or who......

Pad - stir fried Pad has big boobs, could also be short for iPad....

Tod - deep fried Tod is short for Toddler. Please don't do that to your child.

Yaang - BBQ Not yet ready/done,

Tom - soup Tom was on a 12 year overstay, got deported to the States, but came back after only two weeks. Then cooked in a soup in Indonesia.

Soup is actually Guai Giau.....( with noodles)

You're' trying to give advice but most words are wrong. You'll have to put a cloth hanger inside your nose and say the words you came up with that a Thai would understand you.

Thanks for the free lesson.facepalm.gif

Edited by sirchai