Best Areas and Condos In Chiang Mai? Advice really appreciated

wisemonkey

Hi,

I am going to be moving to Chiang Mai in 6 months and am wanting to buy a nice condo. Not knowing the area at all, curious if anyone who lives in Chiang Mai can give me some info of what are the best areas of Chiang Mai (a combination of close to city/shops/restaurants, good views, safe, clean, etc) and which condos are known to be the best (ie luxurious, well constructed, nice views, good facilties, well managed, etc). Any help would be much appreciated. So far I have found these ones:

Karnkanok Condo 3

Baan Suan Greenery Hill
Na Tara
The Alps ( there are websites for this, but dont know if it is being built or not, it looks pretty amazing, very luxurious.)
Not sure of the locations of the above as having not knowing the areas got no idea how good they are... would appreciate other suggestions and of the ones Ive listed which are the best locations

Yes will definitely be doing that, just want to get a general idea of what areas to check out when Im there. Also with the condos, its good getting advice from people that have lived there or known, cause really until you have lived in a building you dont know how it will be, so many place look so good on the outside or with just a quick look, but you dont get the little information like how bad the noise is from a nearby club, how bad the management is, bad construction, etc etc..

Yes will definitely be doing that, just want to get a general idea of what areas to check out when Im there. Also with the condos, its good getting advice from people that have lived there or known, cause really until you have lived in a building you dont know how it will be, so many place look so good on the outside or with just a quick look, but you dont get the little information like how bad the noise is from a nearby club, how bad the management is, bad construction, etc etc..

You can find a condo on line that will fit every thing you want in it but be in an area you don't like at all that is why it is wise to come here with the list you have and other people will suggest. Get a place for two weeks and check out the areas then the condo if the area is acceptable. Should narrow your list down to places acceptable to you. Talk to some of the residents if you can. You will get a better feel for the place that way. As you will have several comments in person.

Makes no difference where you settle down to me.

Chiang Mai is a great place to live welcome.

Another issue that you should consider is earthquakes, I have been in CM for quite a few years and have seen a few big cracks in

A couple of the newer condos, where are the older higher condos in the center seemed to fair better.

Thailand building laws for low rise condominiums are a lot less strict than the high rise, therefore a lot cheeper to make and higher margin.

I spoke to one of the people that built Rimping Condo, and he explained it cost 10's of millions of baht extra at the time to provide earthquake protection at the time, and that was quite a few years ago, and accordingly it weathered the recent earthquakes very well.

i strongly suggest that you explore the condo area at night too. all too often there is noise from nearby bars that are not active during the day. this has happened to me more than one time, also many of the common entryways are very very run down and depressing.

• Like 1

To ask a similar question: will i find apartment buildings which are not condos? Like the OP i too will be looking around CM soon to rent/ buy. Can rent anything but can only buy a condo (my understanding). If i see a nice looking multiple unit place is there any way i can tell if it's a condo building? Do condos have an office up front and someone to talk to or just a doorway entrance?

from my exhaustive research over the last 3 to 4 months,and taking every nook and granny into consideration

the following come up trumps in any order

flora

green valley

rimping

the above have the magic word of

plus plus plus

a very nice afternoon to allbiggrin.png

• Like 1

from my exhaustive research over the last 3 to 4 months,and taking every nook and granny into consideration

flora

green valley

rimping

plus plus plus

Just to show how personal property shopping is none of these three work for me. Green Valley way too far from the city. Rimping is a great location but so much traffic noise unless you get a very very high floor. And I dont think Floral is a very convenient, for me, location.

• Like 1

flora

green valley

rimping

plus plus plus

Just to show how personal property shopping is none of these three work for me. Green Valley way too far from the city. Rimping is a great location but so much traffic noise unless you get a very very high floor. And I dont think Floral is a very convenient, for me, location.

many thks for your views

and they are indeed, very valid points that u have raised

my only very minor difference of opinion is on flora

really its only two good par fives in distance from rimping condo,and in a quieter location

once again greatly appreciatedsmile.png

a very nice evening to allbiggrin.png

I find chiang mai business park a good location.Only 4 km into town and close to big c extra, makro, central festival, the new bangkok hospital, mc cormick and arcade bus station. Many restaurants in the area too.

Lots of condos have or are being build there, like one plus, jigsaw, my hip condo. Also the older hillside,7,8,9 by payap university.

• Like 1

I believe Rimping is approx 20 years old. Traffic noise and (just as important but not mentioned) full sun for a lot of the day seem to be only a problem for south and west facing units. Our north-facing unit only gets about an hour to hour and a half of sun late afternoon and no traffic noise that we notice with all windows open 24/7.

Quite possibly the best move we ever made.

• Like 1

I believe Rimping is approx 20 years old. Traffic noise and (just as important but not mentioned) full sun for a lot of the day seem to be only a problem for south and west facing units. Our north-facing unit only gets about an hour to hour and a half of sun late afternoon and no traffic noise that we notice with all windows open 24/7.

You beat me to it North and East facing the best no matter where you go. and the North there particularly as there is not that much traffic. Also not that it matters to many but the utilities when I looked at it was 4 baht a unit. My problem with it is my Thai wife is sure it is haunted.

I really liked the flora but I don't think they sell any units and do not have that many long stay units. Great scene from up on the roof 360 degree with a swimming pool and a barbecue. Transportation easy walk through hillside 4 to Huey Khow road or ask at the desk and they will call for transportation for you. If you have your own good. It is also with in walking distance of many attractions. Retail type restaurants and just plain all kinds of goings-on. Two Malls with movies.

You beat me to it North and East facing the best no matter where you go. and the North there particularly as there is not that much traffic. Also not that it matters to many but the utilities when I looked at it was 4 baht a unit. My problem with it is my Thai wife is sure it is haunted.

I really liked the flora but I don't think they sell any units and do not have that many long stay units. Great scene from up on the roof 360 degree with a swimming pool and a barbecue. Transportation easy walk through hillside 4 to Huey Khow road or ask at the desk and they will call for transportation for you. If you have your own good. It is also with in walking distance of many attractions. Retail type restaurants and just plain all kinds of goings-on. Two Malls with movies.

you getting mixed up with furama??????
  • Like 1

Yeah, one big "problem" with the older, very solidly build older, well-located condo buildings like Floral, Rim Ping, Nakorn Ping, Hillside 4, Riverside, etc is that they're all haunted. It's bound to happen any time a residential building gets to be 20 years old -- people are going to die in at home, some in "interesting" ways.

I think that's one reason Thai people are so attracted to new construction and don't choose to live in older condos, maybe just buying them as investment rental properties. That makes for shabby public areas in those buildings. But, often units in these older condos can be a real value, especially for a renter. We just signed a five-year lease (our three year lease was set to expire) and are sinking some money in remodeling our unit. Sure, we don't own it, but we'll get our value over the life of the 5 year lease. We put in money to redo the kitchen at the start of the 3 year lease and never regretted it, so now we'll finish the rest of the re-do ahead of the five-year lease.

Edited by NancyL

PP Condo ,gives you a great location along with low price purchase.If money no object then Floral or the Embassy (right on the river ).

I tried to get into the Embassy as I had heard it had large units. They have a crazy maid who you have to go through. Or they did when I tried to go in. She said it was full no rentals.

I went in for a meal next door at Pun Pun and he told me that they had units but they were not that concerned about them not being filled that the maid was indeed a block. The food at Pun Pun's was good.

You could be right it has been a year since I looked at it. originally it was going to be the hillside 5 that is why it is a straight walk through from the main entrance to the Flora or as you say Furama. I am surprised Nancy didn't catch me on that one.

Senior moment.

You could be right it has been a year since I looked at it. originally it was going to be the hillside 5 that is why it is a straight walk through from the main entrance to the Flora or as you say Furama. I am surprised Nancy didn't catch me on that one.

Senior moment.

it was hillside 5 about five years ago,but a japenese company bought it and called it furama,the former owner(hillside 4) tried to sell units as a condo but they were very expensive,so sold it as a going concern,now a hotel

Senior moment.

chang moment if you ask me,bit mixed up there arent u.

Glad to hear you are happy there Konini. We moved out of the former establishment too, but to a rented house, not condo. Happy as pigs in shweppes.

Regarding to Karnkanok projects, there are several units units available for rent at this moment. Check on Canal Rd, Business Park, Huaykaew Rd.

Price may range from 13k to 15k per month. In case of housing, you may take a little higher rate to get one. Houses scatter around the outer ring, not so hard to find but may require some brokers.