The irony of Prayuth's mission

Lite Beer

The moment the junta has given control back to whatever slime ball government that is coming, it starts all over again.

The reforms the Junta is putting in place seek to ensure that we do not have a repeat of currupt, selfish, self serving mafia style politicians from both colours of the divide and have completely failed to understand that they are servants of the people and Thailand is in a position to be one of the leading Countries in the whole of Asia, but for their self interest and abysmal mismanagement, which due to Prayuth, is now only becoming so shockingly evident. Personally I find this article poorly written and childish - come on Nation you can do better than this; with the misuse of words and fable like comparisons I would mark you only 4 out of 10.

Edited by robertson468

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Thai nation and the Thai people are not corrupt.

There are corrupt people who are mostly those in positions of power or of the criminal type but the vast majority of the Thai people are not corrupt.

The vast majority are good honest hard working people who in the past they have put up with the corruption that their so called leaders have imposed on them for there was nothing they could do about it.

6 months back people started to come out on the streets as they had seen the damage a corrupt government was doing to the country.

Now they can see that there no longer needs to be corruption and that there is a way it can be tackled and brought under control if not eliminated.

There will, I am sure, be ways in the not to distant future that honest people can report and fight against corruption without the fear they have had in the past.

It will then be the corrupt that have to fear the honest people. As it should be.

Who was it that said "The people should not fear the government the government should fear the people"

Sorry to knock off your saffron tinted spectacles but the people will embrace and practice as much corruption as the perpetually corrupt elite allows them to. They are not about to give up that concept until they have all had a chance to get as much of that free stuff as they can for as long as they can. That's the whole premise of Thai history, culture and society.

Six months ago, people started coming out on the street because the weather was nice and cool and they were being offered free pad thai and all the bottled water one could drink; basic populism at its finest. It was a nice day or evening out and a break from the monotony. It was pure entertainment. Unfortunately for the ring master of that circus, his Spring of Discontent did not morph into the real, meaningful, coherent or even popular opposition to the incumbent government that the real opposition (the perpetual losers of free elections) wanted.

There's absolutely no value in quoting pithy epithets from senior and very dead statesmen from democracies with a few hundred years under their belts. The fact that this IS Thailand prevails.

• Like 1

I dunno, the OP wasn't offensive to me. I will have to look-up that Grandpa fable, but I imagine it's like the King Solomon splitting the baby parable. Prayuth is in the driver seat, and so far it looks like he's keeping the car on the road. He's pretty much in a unique position in Thai history, and I can see how he could change the rules of the game forever. We shall see.

Back in the Kingdom in six weeks! WooHoo!

Unique position in Thai history? In what way?

The Thai people couldn't give a twaddle about all the Granpas - they are informed (thanks to cell phones and the Internet) and know that they want democracy and the right to vote. Step aside old men who think they know better, who think they know what the country wants. This country is not filled with children who need their grandpas to sort out their lives - it is filled with a growing number of aware and interested citizens who know their rights and would prefer for grandpas to keep out of their lives and let them get on with them. Anyway - I'm sure the folk story posted ends with the 3rd granpa eating the big chunk fish - this is what greedy old men often do even if it started out about trying to stop the squabbling.

Of course, after all is done, clean up, reform, elections, new government.......the army will remain in the background, watching and checking if

things don't go for worse again, or back to the old ways. Like a separate entity, a watchdog.

Watching the new government. What and whoever that may be will have to tread carefully, to not stir up big green brother.

Sort of like it was before?!

Do you not think it possible that the so called new government elect could be legally elected from the current crop of army leaders, in a coasha election?

A green government, so to say? ;)

When the rot has set in there is no way to remove it! The nation is corrupt and therefore there is no magic that can ever fix that fact or rectify the situation.

Thais love their fairy tales but reality is a whole different world. Its all been tried before and always ended in failure and this will be just more of the same. No coup was ever successful in bringing about constructive change in the country.

There are corrupt people who are mostly those in positions of power or of the criminal type but the vast majority of the Thai people are not corrupt.

The vast majority are good honest hard working people who in the past they have put up with the corruption that their so called leaders have imposed on them for there was nothing they could do about it.

6 months back people started to come out on the streets as they had seen the damage a corrupt government was doing to the country.

Now they can see that there no longer needs to be corruption and that there is a way it can be tackled and brought under control if not eliminated.

There will, I am sure, be ways in the not to distant future that honest people can report and fight against corruption without the fear they have had in the past.

It will then be the corrupt that have to fear the honest people. As it should be.

Who was it that said "The people should not fear the government the government should fear the people"

Thai people are all corrupt, they embrace corruption as a way of life, its part of their culture.

Have you ever been to Thailand? Probably not as your reply displays a vast ignorance of Thai ways.

Hawk, you're way out of line on this one.

To actually have the audacity to write, "Thai people are all corrupt". Where do you really, and truthfully get that from?

E.g. my wife - yes, let's go there! She's Thai, thus included in your all.

University lecturer. Owns her own home, spare condo, own car, has lots in the bank from frugal spending, wise saving, and NEVER ever been corrupt, involved in corruption, supported anything corrupt. How do you justify involving my wife in your insinuation of 'all', when she distincly, vehemently, is repulsed by corruption and rejects it, far from embracing it?

And I'm sure I'm not the only person here who has a good, honest, uncorrupt life partner, be they male or female, man or wife.

Verify, in the best way you can, how you can distinctly offer to the table here, that all Thais are corrupt and embrace corruption, please.

Maybe the general needs to have Orange shirts printed up with "Reconciliation" printed on them in Thai to be handed out at reconciliation sessions. BTW orange is the color resulting from the blending of Red and Yellow.

Hope Thailand can get back on the right track towards a sustainable democracy, although the definition of democracy in the context of Thailand is not necessarily the same as in Western democracies, which are far older and more mature than that of Thailand. Cultural tradition plays a big part in such determinations, and Thailand is truly a unique curlture.

One thing they need to eradicate is the 1914 Thailand law which allows the military to forment a coup, and the reason there is one now. In my humble opinion, no "democracy" can has such a law which can fundamentally overthrow the democratic process.

When the rot has set in there is no way to remove it! The nation is corrupt and therefore there is no magic that can ever fix that fact or rectify the situation.

Thais love their fairy tales but reality is a whole different world. Its all been tried before and always ended in failure and this will be just more of the same. No coup was ever successful in bringing about constructive change in the country.

Thai people are all corrupt, they embrace corruption as a way of life, its part of their culture.

Have you ever been to Thailand? Probably not as your reply displays a vast ignorance of Thai ways.

You must travel in some very restricted circles. I know many successful Thai businessmen who are neither dishonest or corrupt. Corruption exists in Thailand. Prostitution exists in Thailand. Not all Thais are corrupt. Not all Thai women are prostitutes. I pity you living in a world where everyone is bad.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Thais and corruption are akin to the story of the frog and the scorpion

I had to look it up but it was worth it. I could not agree more. I copied it below for others. But water floods the mouth as the Thai say, here is a true story.

Some time ago a farang friend was working on an aviation project under a major university with support and interest from of the University's Head. Eventually a major piece of my friend's own money went missing, and after investigating he found evidence that the head of the university had stolen the money. When my friend confronted him proof and ask why, the head jumped up at his desk and said "Well, of course I took it, I am Thai". Not a lot different from the frog and the scorpion.

A scorpion asks a frog to carry him over a river. The frog is afraid of being stung during the trip, but the scorpion argues that if it stung the frog, the frog would sink and the scorpion would drown. The frog agrees and begins carrying the scorpion, but midway across the river the scorpion does indeed sting the frog, dooming them both. When asked why, the scorpion points out that this is its nature.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

For jeez sake Nation writers. Are you lot the three monkeys in reality. A reasonably good analogy ruined by this monkey trite at the end:-

"He must declare that it won't be his forever"...what do you think he has been saying right from day one.

But to say it in military lingo, He talks the talk, but does he walk the walk ?

My bet is on the good general taking enough time / not too long and then step by step pass it back to a full democratic mechanism.

And I hope he does take enough time to get it right.

What do others think?

I agree but the time is going to have to take longer than most people realize I think. Basically he has to retrain the system regarding responsibility and repercussions. I think he truely has to make some examples of people. Not "reassign to another post" Make people really believe in consequences and accountability.

I dunno, the OP wasn't offensive to me. I will have to look-up that Grandpa fable, but I imagine it's like the King Solomon splitting the baby parable. Prayuth is in the driver seat, and so far it looks like he's keeping the car on the road. He's pretty much in a unique position in Thai history, and I can see how he could change the rules of the game forever. We shall see.

Wait and see. IF all goes well that Victory Monument in Bangkok may have a raison d'etre yet. thumbsup.gif

To actually have the audacity to write, "Thai people are all corrupt". Where do you really, and truthfully get that from?

University lecturer. Owns her own home, spare condo, own car, has lots in the bank from frugal spending, wise saving, and NEVER ever been corrupt, involved in corruption, supported anything corrupt. How do you justify involving my wife in your insinuation of 'all', when she distincly, vehemently, is repulsed by corruption and rejects it, far from embracing it?

And I'm sure I'm not the only person here who has a good, honest, uncorrupt life partner, be they male or female, man or wife.

Verify, in the best way you can, how you can distinctly offer to the table here, that all Thais are corrupt and embrace corruption, please.

I am not even going to bother debating about what your wife likes or doesn't like but when the need arises they all make a deal.

Please explain. Deals about or on what? They all do? Could you please define 'they all'? I'm asking nicely - for now. ;)

"But we also want them to make the best use of their mandate for the country's sake. The fish needs to be shared among Thais and not become any single group's trophy."

Wise words indeed. Previously a supporter base was being manipulated to ensure electoral victory. That is a dictatorship. A democracy is an ability to appeal to a broad section of the population. Not just rice farmers who make up only 7% of the Thai population or red shirts who only make up 14% of the population. That is not moving Thailand forward.

The majority of Thai's realize this and to make a real democracy a reality, reform is needed before the next election lest in 10 to 20 years time that narrow voter base is manipulated again and we go back to square one. I cannot speak for the Thai's and I don't purport to, but if the PTP win after the reform my wife who is a supporter of all the principles of democracy would herald the win a success of democracy knowing full well there will be no abuse of power, no blatant corruption, no ramming through amnesties against the will of the majority no running of the country by an unelected criminal and no telling voters "you will get what you want when you vote for us" and as is indicated previously a brutal repression of peaceful protesting that is more akin to Iraq than Thailand.

Because after reform anyone that trys that will be held accountable.

Thank god for Preyuth.

post-140765-0-56618900-1402750374_thumb.

There are those amongst us who will be in a constant state of masturbation over the coup. When they are not jerking off they are acting holier than thou on forums like this. Hooping and a hollaring over every press release from the good general. Those who dont support armys siezing power from democratically elected governments and returning it too their allies who can never win an election always have the conversation stopper in Thailand.

Coups, is it 19 and counting, have never will never solve anything. If you want to know your future look at the past. Not one thing of any significance achieved by the previous 18. To believe that this coup will do anything other than cause greater divides and bring the country to the edge of civil war are quite simply...out of touch

Edited by city
  • Like 2

Wait and see. IF all goes well that Victory Monument in Bangkok may have a raison d'etre yet. thumbsup.gif

Doesn't answer the question I asked of Living in a cartoon, but thanks just the same.

"But we also want them to make the best use of their mandate for the country's sake. The fish needs to be shared among Thais and not become any single group's trophy."

Wise words indeed. Previously a supporter base was being manipulated to ensure electoral victory. That is a dictatorship. A democracy is an ability to appeal to a broad section of the population. Not just rice farmers who make up only 7% of the Thai population or red shirts who only make up 14% of the population. That is not moving Thailand forward.

The majority of Thai's realize this and to make a real democracy a reality, reform is needed before the next election lest in 10 to 20 years time that narrow voter base is manipulated again and we go back to square one. I cannot speak for the Thai's and I don't purport to, but if the PTP win after the reform my wife who is a supporter of all the principles of democracy would herald the win a success of democracy knowing full well there will be no abuse of power, no blatant corruption, no ramming through amnesties against the will of the majority no running of the country by an unelected criminal and no telling voters "you will get what you want when you vote for us" and as is indicated previously a brutal repression of peaceful protesting that is more akin to Iraq than Thailand.

Thank god for Preyuth.

A tad top heavy on the naievity. When this crowd gives control back to the people the rules will have been changed in such a manner that PTPs majority will be negated in some way that means they will always need to form a coalition , therefor being unable to act as a functioning government because they will always be under the threat of the coalition partner pulling out. I would go as far to say that I think it will be many many years before we see a one party government in Thailand

dream on this is Thailand the Hub of jealousy envy greed and corruption cheesy.gif

You forgot the lying to you with a smile and thinking its ok as long as you look good. For all prayuths good intentions he should see you cant teach an old dog new tricks. The ruling generation have been raised and bred to be the way they are. They cant and will never adapt to prayuths ideals. If prayuth is to succeed his needs to get rid of the old and start new.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

&lt;deleted&gt;

BS

You and the two previous posters have obviously never been outside tourist centers or big cities, if you have ever been to Thailand.

Where I live in a small town surrounded by paddy the people are not corrupt, no one tries to cheat me or do they cheat each other.

They don't steal from me or each other to the extent that bunches of bananas hanging over a road or soi are never taken, they are recognized as the property of the owner of the land, no one pulls in someone elses net to get the fish and prices are the same for everyone.

There are those in power who are known to be corrupt but they have had the backing of higher authority so the people are forced to accept their corruption but that does not make the people corrupt.

There is also some crime like the armed robbery of a late night shop recently but that is very rare and speculation is that it was someone from out of town.

With a bit of luck and the general willing that will change and the corrupt will be removed.

But then I only live here and have only been here for a bit under 10 years so what would I know.

• Like 1

I am not even going to bother debating about what your wife likes or doesn't like but when the need arises they all make a deal.

Please explain. Deals about or on what? They all do? Could you please define 'they all'? I'm asking nicely - for now. wink.png

Personally I'm not interested if you ask nicely or not! Anyway as I said above, I am not going to debate what I said, if you find my statements difficult to understand then back to school you should go.

Trying not to understand the obvious is a common problem for many people, especially in Thailand.

Your statements are not difficult to understand whatsoever. You assert ALL THAIS ARE CORRUPT. That's simple to see.

It is clear that you carry about with you a great deal of baggage, almost like De Nero in The Mission. When you see fit to release it, then maybe you'll see new light, and discover that not all Thais are corrupt, as you initially asserted, and maintain is obvious; the latter being your own viewpoint, of course.

Personally, I don't believe there is a common problem for many people, especially in Thailand, believing that everybody is corrupt. The fact that you are not even prepared to debate your down-right obnoxious comment that all Thais are corrupt is further indication of your own bad experiences, and a lack of will to even entertain different viewpoints. Further weight to your baggage is that.

I hope one day you wake up to the fact that, indeed, far from all Thais are corrupt, and the majority are hard working, honest people, with good intent, and deep care for those around them, especially when in need- the latter being very far from the same situation in the West, where people disown you, frown, laugh at you, and leave you in the gutter when hard times hit.

To finish, not all Thais are corrupt, and far from it. The problem in viewing as such lays within you, alone. If anybody here disagrees with my last comment, please feel free to comment and explain why I am wrong in my debate, or my opinion, of what has been clearly stated.

dream on this is Thailand the Hub of jealousy envy greed and corruption cheesy.gif

You forgot the lying to you with a smile and thinking its ok as long as you look good. For all prayuths good intentions he should see you cant teach an old dog new tricks. The ruling generation have been raised and bred to be the way they are. They cant and will never adapt to prayuths ideals. If prayuth is to succeed his needs to get rid of the old and start new.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The ruling generation are no longer ruling. What's your point?

Prayuth has already, and clearly, indicated he's having none of the previous riff-raff put forth for new governmental elections, yet he doesn't know where the new will come from. That indicates status quo until large change arrives.

Therefore, his intent is not to teach old dogs new tricks, and as I've indicated previously, expect a long haul with this lot at the top - They are not going to lose face whatsoever, and give in and hand back to a pile of shiites that believe they can revert back to graft.

Hence, Prayuth is not expecting adaptation to his ideals. Adaptation is a non-word in his book. He is definitively looking for new sources of rule potential, not akin to prior, and not bred from the same old.

I think the general direction will include , in the reforms, the military will not be able to interfere in politics and stage a coup, however the reforms will also include measures that will prevent what happened leading up to the coup ,from taking place again also. coffee1.gif

I think a coup is by nature illegal as was what happened leading up to the present one!

I think the general direction will include , in the reforms, the military will not be able to interfere in politics and stage a coup, however the reforms will also include measures that will prevent what happened leading up to the coup ,from taking place again also. coffee1.gif

I think a coup is by nature illegal as was what happened leading up to the present one!

I think what the ousted government did, by nature, was illegal too: as what happened with their fluk up in every hand they put their fire into, up until the last momentary present ones.

Your point being? Do you prefer the previous government, or the current momentum and licit goodness generated by the positive coup?

Thank god for Preyuth.

A tad top heavy on the naievity. When this crowd gives control back to the people the rules will have been changed in such a manner that PTPs majority will be negated in some way that means they will always need to form a coalition , therefor being unable to act as a functioning government because they will always be under the threat of the coalition partner pulling out. I would go as far to say that I think it will be many many years before we see a one party government in Thailand

Ahhhh, the best way to refute someone that has a differing opinion than you and denounce them at the same time. Naive falsificationism. A tried and true method adopted by people that can't stand the facts presented because they cut to the bone.

Under naive falsificationism, the birth control pill would be considered as ineffective since there are instances (3 in 1000) in which it does not work. One would be naive to think it does work as a birth control pill right?

I respect your "slight of hand" in debating techniques and if you can more easily digest your "belief" over my facts then so be it.

Facts are still that the PTP manipulated 7% of the population with riches of 40% over market value to gain a majority vote.

The rules will be changed to allow the mandate not to be abused in the future.

​I would state you are naive to think otherwise, but you stole the limelight with that "slight of hand"!!

May reconciliation be with you.

Edited by djjamie

Personally I'd say it's a load of shiite .

"Prayuth's key task is, therefore, quite ironic." On what grounds? No it's not. Irony is not even involved. His task is deliberate, pragmatic, and involves finding resolutions to garbage strewn across the country by the ousted government.

'Irony'... Ha! Did a reporter just discover the meaning, and try to incorporate it into a story to appear clever? whistling.gif

Darn double darn I ran out of I likes.

O well I will repost this part as it is some thing the Nation is unaware of and as a national English speaking news paper they should be aware of it.

"Prayuth's key task is, therefore, quite ironic." On what grounds? No it's not. Irony is not even involved. His task is deliberate, pragmatic, and involves finding resolutions to garbage strewn across the country by the ousted government.

• Like 1

Doesn't answer the question I asked of Living in a cartoon, but thanks just the same.

I guess it was a bit oblique.

Put it this way. If the general manages to be the hero Thailand has been looking for and achieves the impossible dream of transforming the country from the top down then it will be a victory for the Thai people far more worthy of the one that monument currently celebrates.

There's a long way to go yet but at least the course is set fair.

Thank god for Preyuth.

Do not worry about his statements. Usually it is "voter-fraud", this time it is only "manipulated". In the end it is his unwillingness to accept any election result that does not fit his one true opinion.

Anyway, i agree that the "reforms" will not let a freely elected government actually do their job (unless the "right" party has won, off course). My personal favorite: only 40 % of the parliament will be voted in, the other 60 % will be appointed (by whom I wonder). That was the reform proposal the "Democrats" brought in last time.

• Like 1

'Irony'... Ha! Did a reporter just discover the meaning, and try to incorporate it into a story to appear clever? whistling.gif

Irony is a difficult concept for foreigners. Most Americans think it is a country in Africa.

Irony is thinking Grand pa is a saviour when he's really just protecting a decades long tradition of all riches for the rich of that got interrupted for a few years by a certain politician with some socialist policies.

The Nation(alist) Yoon spewing yarns as editorial content is pathetic. But so's the subject.

Iro

• Like 1

Thank god for Preyuth.

Ahhhh, the best way to refute someone that has a differing opinion than you and denounce them at the same time. Naive falsificationism. A tried and true method adopted by people that can't stand the facts presented because they cut to the bone.

Under naive falsificationism, the birth control pill would be considered as ineffective since there are instances (3 in 1000) in which it does not work. One would be naive to think it does work as a birth control pill right?

I respect your "slight of hand" in debating techniques and if you can more easily digest your "belief" over my facts then so be it.

Facts are still that the PTP manipulated 7% of the population with riches of 40% over market value to gain a majority vote.

The rules will be changed to allow the mandate not to be abused in the future.

​I would state you are naive to think otherwise, but you stole the limelight with that "slight of hand"!!

May reconciliation be with you.

Cherry or grape kool aid tonight at the 2 minute hate?

Please explain this 7 % theory. How did only 7% of the electorate effect a majority ballot? I know some politicians in US that would really appreciate knowing how to do this.

What I find remarkable is why the Royalists haven't just installed electronic balloting. Presto !! FraWd at the touch of a button- no more pesky majority rule stuff.

Did Hagel grow a conscience?

• Like 1

Irony is a difficult concept for foreigners. Most Americans think it is a country in Africa.

Irony is thinking Grand pa is a saviour when he's really just protecting a decades long tradition of all riches for the rich of that got interrupted for a few years by a certain politician with some socialist policies.

The Nation(alist) Yoon spewing yarns as editorial content is pathetic. But so's the subject.

Iro

&lt;deleted&gt; kin ell John-Boy.. did Mary-Ellen not teach you what irony means too?

You offered a simile, yet crowned it with a paradox. I must congratulate you on your confusion. clap2.gif