Thai men and their offspring - why do so many not care after a divorce?

Tmymaimee

WhereUstay's experience is with the bottom of the barrel of thai society, from the most deprived area of the country. If you venture a look into the average counsel estate in the UK especially in poorer parts of the north etc, how many single mums will you find where the dad has either done a runner, or is unemployed and it's actually the state that pay for the child's upbringing?

Watch any episode of Jeremy Kyle and you'll get the picture

Note: I am In no way putting down single mums in UK counsel flats, some (that I know personally) do a fantastic job of raising their kids. It's the fathers who I am having a go at. No better than runaway sh*tkicking fathers in Issan

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So although I agree with you that there are differences here, I don't really think it is in the Men so much as it is in the different systems. For instance it is much easier for a Man in Thailand to walk away from his responsibility. Especially Financial Responsibility! Seldom if ever you hear of the Police or Courts hunting him down to make Child Support Payments here. Under those circumstances, there is a greater likelihood that the Girl's Family would thus not want anything to do with him. So all this makes it easier for him to just walk away.

On the other hand, in Canada for instance, if you have a child from a previous Girl Friend or Marriage, and think you can just walk away from that, "Forget It Bud!". They will hunt you down like a "Rabid Dog". both in and out of Canada. You may not get any Visitations Rights to even see your kids, as that is up to you to get alone fighting in Court with expensive lawyers, but you certainly will get all the Bills for free. Your wife has access to free Legal Council and the Police will come to your door and haul you away if you do not pay. So in Canada, at least, you are forced to take on this responsibility even if you don't want it. Probably the same in most other Civilized (if I can call it that) Countries.

If you have nothing at all in the USA or Canada, you can just walk away from your children.

What are the authorities gonna do? Deduct from your welfare check?

Do you actually understand how little most of the poor have?

As I said, only the middle class have to pay.

Just because you may have nothing now in America, and just want to walk away and forget about it, the government won't. You should also know that Able Bodied Men cannot easily get Welfare in the USA or Canada. What did one of YOUR President say about this? Oh Yah! "Work for Welfare!".

So what can they do to you if you decide to walk away and not pay Child Support? For a starter they will not forgive your Debt even through Bankruptcy. They will just keep adding your monthly payments until you can start to pay. This is one of the very few debts that is not forgiven. They can also throw your Butt in Prison if you continue to refuse to pay. Also the only debt around that you can still go to jail for. So even though you may not have any money now they will collect from you later when you do.

So if you find a job again and start working, but still refuse to pay, they will Garnish your wages from your employer and force them to pay for you, which may also cost you your new found job. They will hold back any money owned to you by the government like a Tax Rebate, or anything else except perhaps a Welfare Check. They can and will seize any property of value and sell that in a forced sale, like a car. You will get to keep your clothes, baring things like a Mink Fur Coat, so as the old song truthfully says, "You get to keep the shirt on your back".

Other things they can do is withhold any money owned to you or given to you, like inheritance. They can prevent you from getting your Drivers License Renewed, or even Passport. With the many agreements our countries have with others, in this regard, they can even go after you outside of your country, like in Thailand for example. In case you have duel citizenship. So there is really no place you can go and hide... forever.

So unless you are some strange young guy, who plans on spending the rest of your life on the street, never working again, and living like a beggar, then there is lots they can do to you if you don't pay. If you have a Court Order to pay Child Support, it also doesn't even matter where the money comes from. You can be some Drug Dealer and even though they may not have caught you selling drugs, if they find money on you you can still go to jail for not paying Child Support. They call it "Contempt of Court!" I guess it sounds better than going to jail for not paying a debt.

Don't fool yourself thinking that if you don't have money now there is nothing they can do. As I pointed out here, there is lots they can do to you and will. If anyone can squeeze Blood out of a Stone it is these people. So now you also know where the rest of those Nazi War Criminals are hiding and went to work after the war. Sadly many people learn the hard way and think like you do though.

But you are the first and only one I ever heard here and say on TV, that: "No Money...No Problem!". Do you really believe that?

If you read my post, I was saying poor men don't have to pay.

(That isn't me I'm talking about, I'm not poor).

Poor men don't need a passport, they never leave their home country in the west.

Poor men don't have wages you can garnish.

Poor men have plenty of time, practically the courts give up after a poor man does a couple of weeks jail time.

Quite often the poor in the USA live under an entirely different set of laws to the middle-class.

Only the middle-class are forced to pay.

In the USA the (white) middle-class men are dumped on by everyone, courts, police, IRS to name but a few.

Now if you want to talk about me, entirely different again, I'm wealthy.

Another set of laws for us from the middle-class. But you don't need to know about them.

I think all this thread serves to illustrate is that the majority of members are firmly ensconced within the nether regions of Thailand's socio-economic scale with friends, lovers, wives and extended family possessed of 3rd rate educations.

This isn't surprising given that so many are socially-awkward misfits who've formed such short-sighted opinions of the Thai people based upon a handful of experiences in the bar industry and daily encounters with motorbike taxi riders. Nevertheless, they remain here for easily accessible ass they'd not stand a snowball's chance in hell of tapping back home. How predictable

Without doubt, there are one or two posters who, 6 months or a year ago, would've gotten involved in this discussion by injecting a dose of reality garnered from a life further up the social ladder where ordinary Thai men and women raise their children to the best of their ability and consider anything less a serious dereliction of duty and a grave loss of "face".

Understandably, however, those posters don't bother contributing any more such is the ubiquity of the ultra-moronic, foul-mouthed TVF troglodyte who thinks nothing of routinely insulting other posters and their wives or partners using the most sickening language (you know who you are) possibly because they themselves are married to a local female of questionable virtue who is no longer providing access to the unique selling point she brought to the table in the first place.

Yes the OP's topics are usually trollish but this one raises some interesting points that more than a few posters think warrant discussion. If the flamers would rather attack the OP rather than discuss the topic, why not exchange rendezvous details via PM, meet up somewhere nice and quiet with an assortment of weaponry and kill each other because, SERIOUSLY, you won't be missed on here!

You are correct. It is a shame to have a number of half wits contributing little to nothing on this forum.

Socio-economic background, values and upbringing predominantly determine the actions of a Thai man in relation to the children they produce...and I think it is a contributor for the falang man also.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand