Cambodian labour exodus from Thailand continues today

Lite Beer

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this isn't signs of an unhealthy mix growing of nationalism, militarism, marial law, and campaigns against ethnic groups and foreigners .... I hope they, and others, don't become scapegoats

Edited by wilcopops

It just reveals yet again another element to the out-of-control lawlessness, with respect to compliance with the law, that was allowed to go on under the previous government.

Had they had permits to work and stay in Thailand; there would be no need to flee.

The sky will not fall in after their departure.

Did these "illegal immigrants" just suddenly decide to come and work in Thailand en masse on July 3rd 2011, or would you accept that they may have been coming to Thailand and working for some time before? I know it's almost compulsory on this forum to blame everything on the PTP or Thaksin, but give it a rest, will you.

Always so defensive about your Shin hero's.

Did not Yingluck and her administration spit and spout about how all immigrants working in Thailand would be registered. How they were gonna crack down on all the labor brokers (traffickers and mafia's) for extorting money from these poor immigrants.

Did they, in the 3 years get anywhere with that?

• Like 2

Thailand has an average of 1.7 children per woman BELOW the replacement level and it is a country in development (well, actually it is going back instead ), so at this stage it desperatly needs migrants.

But the racism is much higher than the common sense.

If they are illegal they should leave, if they are legal no problem. I wish the US would do the same with Nancy Pelosi's "undocumented workers".

If for years they've been tolerated because they were useful then that is tacit approval. So it isn't quite as simple as your view point suggests. If they've been given tacit approval over the years then their situation isn't their fault, it's the fault of Thailand. So they should be treated humanely, not as criminals or animals. Throwing people into the back of trucks is worse than most criminals are treated, it's more like the way animals are treated on their way to the slaughterhouse.

And as for the US, what difference would it make if these undocumented workers had documents? Granted, it might help a little in terms of tax and it would benefit them in terms of rights. But what difference would it make to you? They would still be the same color, they would still be in the country, they would still be different to you and so you would just justify your hatred differently.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

I think the mas migration is due to Thai companies forcing their illegal workforce to get out of Dodge in order to save their own ass. A legally registered Cambodian worker has nothing to fear from the Military authorities.

Further despair and hardship caused by the corruption that was part of everyday life..

Actions should be taken against the employers.

• Like 2

Thailand has an average of 1.7 children per woman BELOW the replacement level and it is a country in development (well, actually it is going back instead ), so at this stage it desperatly needs migrants.

But the racism is much higher than the common sense.

it'll just be either Business will follow the low wages and set up abroad, there are already a lot of Thai factories in other countries taking advantage of the cheap labour, or Thais will have to get used to immigrant wages or the labour demand and shortfall will force wages higher,then exports because of that will come down as they become less competitive.

Losing a huge low paid workforce is not going to help the economy, so much of it relies on cheap labour.

Edited by englishoak

Maybe the property developers should pay a decent wage- and not have to maximize their profitability on the backs of illegal workers.

It may result in them buying an entry level Ferrari or Bentley instead of a Roller , but never mind. Will be interesting to see if this does an effect on the never ending cono developments.

On Wednesday, Koy Kuong, spokesman for the Cambodian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said the massive deportation was due to the Thai military coup, which forced ? and enterprises to stop using illegal migrant workers, according to Xinhua.

I understand that the government campaign to get workers from Cambodia, Laos a Myanmar registered, ie made legal, started long before the military coup. If Thai employers failed to register them, they have only themselves to blame if the illegal workers now leave Thailand.
  • Like 1

Someone will be real pleased with themselves for starting that rumor.

Doesn't take much in the way of malicious rumor to cause a lot of trouble.

While saying that the original announcement could possibly have been worded better to make it quite clear that only illegal workers would be effected, but then maybe it was clear and those with an agenda twisted things.

It does seem reasonable that if migrants want to work here they should register and do it legally, many it would seem do. I see piles of passports being handed over for 90 day reports when I have to go to immigration.

It could be said that the illegals are the ones who are willing to work for less so are dragging the pay of the others down.

They also get away without having to pay the costs involved and are under the radar if something happens to them, it leaves them more open to exploitation (trafficking) and there is no record of them if they themselves commit crime or indeed just disappear.

Correct. On one hand Thailand gets critized for closing a blind eye to slave labour and trafficking, then they start to implement the first steps of correcting those problems by doing what every responsible country does and request that every migrant worker be registered and look at the ridiculous comments they cop. For all the open mouth first before they engage their brains pessimists do their own countries allow illegal migrants (and that is what they are) to wander around their home countries at will? Like hell they do in Aussie or NZ.

Oh dear. Equal numbers returning to Myanmar probably, yet to see the figures.

This is going to be one of the biggest knock on effects of the coup and very difficult to restore confidence. There will be many inactive work sites in the coming weeks.

Watch for very special express work permit deals for foreign labour coming from the powers that be in the very near future.

It can't get any slower,it's taken nearly 18 months to build the Global House up here in Phetchabun.

Stop moaning , and DIY the work , do it yourself .

Cambodians have for a long time being a target in Thailand. Most manufacturers or real estate developers don't give a damn about giving a Khmer a work permit. Gen Prayuth announced to track down on illegal workers and my FIL had to go of his workers as well from Myanmar and Laos. Now he is stukc with the drunk Isaan guys that some time show up at work and sometime just sleep during day time.

For the Thai economy this will have a ripple effect on the long-term.

I understand that Gen Prayuth means business and is straight forward but after 6 month ant-government protest it destroyed already the tourism industry in Bangkok but now it moves over to the manufacturing and construction industry.

For fairness it would be time to not go after the ASEAN workers from Indochina but also after the thousands of farangs that are illegal in Thailand anf have been coming in and out of Thailand on edu and tourist visas.

Come on Gen Prayuth, clean up the complete Thailand.

If a European stays here on 120 days Tourist visa, we know he is an illegal immigrant and he is not here for the temples. Do like the Europeans like to do: 6 months maximum and then out for 6 months. I have noting against None Immigrant visa holders. Our company brings over 350,000 tourists from Europe to Thailand per year and they all leave after 14-30 days.

You are right. There are probably 2 million illegal labourers in the country (now only 1.9 million) and manufacturing, construction, and the tourism sectors depend on them. There are a few tens of thousands farangs (plus Chinese, Koreans, Africans etc) working illegally, running unregistered businesses, involved in criminal activities, evading the law back home, or just hanging around on a shoe string budget who won't be missed by the Thai economy if they are kicked out.

They might decide it is time to raise the quality of long-term temporary residents at the same time by raising the financial requirements for extensions based on retirement and marriage. It seems like a long time since these were adjusted. I imagine they also suspect that foreign males below retirement age who stay on marriage extensions without work permits are working illegally too. If they are wealthy enough to retire at 35, that's great, but they will also have no problem showing a couple of million instead of only B400k. Ed visas rolled over for several years must also excite suspicion. Most Western countries will not allow foreign students to stay for more than a year, unless they are enrolled in a genuine degree or diploma course.

This whole thing was started and propagated by those who have deliberately set out to harm the country by spreading malicious rumor.

However it will not last, it will not take long for the Cambodian and other legal workers to realize they have been duped and they will be on their way back next week for they need the work just as the employers and the country need them, if they didn't they wouldn't be here in the first place.

Unfortunately the migrant workers have become the victims of this rumor, something of course that the low life who started the rumor will not care about.

Instead they will be patting themselves on the back and hoping their actions will turn people against the military.

A possible up side of this will, I hope, be that the illegal workers will now get themselves registered and legal.

This will mean that crooked employers can no longer take advantage of them and they will be much safer and less vulnerable to traffickers and others who would take advantage of them.

• Like 1

Cambodians have for a long time being a target in Thailand. Most manufacturers or real estate developers don't give a damn about giving a Khmer a work permit. Gen Prayuth announced to track down on illegal workers and my FIL had to go of his workers as well from Myanmar and Laos. Now he is stukc with the drunk Isaan guys that some time show up at work and sometime just sleep during day time.

I understand that Gen Prayuth means business and is straight forward but after 6 month ant-government protest it destroyed already the tourism industry in Bangkok but now it moves over to the manufacturing and construction industry.

For fairness it would be time to not go after the ASEAN workers from Indochina but also after the thousands of farangs that are illegal in Thailand anf have been coming in and out of Thailand on edu and tourist visas.

If a European stays here on 120 days Tourist visa, we know he is an illegal immigrant and he is not here for the temples. Do like the Europeans like to do: 6 months maximum and then out for 6 months. I have noting against None Immigrant visa holders. Our company brings over 350,000 tourists from Europe to Thailand per year and they all leave after 14-30 days.

Utter nonsense. I and others whom I know stay for months..... on holiday. Not everyone needs to work 9 to 5. Many have the freedom to holiday when and where they wish. Cast your aspersions elsewhere and more intelligently.

• Like 2

Not very smart. Thailand will shut down without laborers. No way are the millions of loafing Thais, lying on their hammocks going to replace this lot.

Maybe the Thai employers will have to pay a living wage to Thai people, instead of slave wages to illegal workers.

Bingo.....

Not very smart. Thailand will shut down without laborers. No way are the millions of loafing Thais, lying on their hammocks going to replace this lot.

Maybe the Thai employers will have to pay a living wage to Thai people, instead of slave wages to illegal workers.

Bingo.....

And with that will come higher export and domestic costs.

Last thing a country dependent on immigrants needs is a sudden massive drop in semi skilled labour overnight before training a domestic one. With virtually 100% employment too that is going to be a rather hard gap to fill with whos left out of work.

We are now witnessing the first real step on the road to a devalued Thai Baht.

If the labour market tightens up considerably, it should classically lead to higher wage inflation and higher interest rates which would be good for the baht.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 1

Someone will be real pleased with themselves for starting that rumor.

Doesn't take much in the way of malicious rumor to cause a lot of trouble.

While saying that the original announcement could possibly have been worded better to make it quite clear that only illegal workers would be effected, but then maybe it was clear and those with an agenda twisted things.

It does seem reasonable that if migrants want to work here they should register and do it legally, many it would seem do. I see piles of passports being handed over for 90 day reports when I have to go to immigration.

It could be said that the illegals are the ones who are willing to work for less so are dragging the pay of the others down.

They also get away without having to pay the costs involved and are under the radar if something happens to them, it leaves them more open to exploitation (trafficking) and there is no record of them if they themselves commit crime or indeed just disappear.

Correct. On one hand Thailand gets critized for closing a blind eye to slave labour and trafficking, then they start to implement the first steps of correcting those problems by doing what every responsible country does and request that every migrant worker be registered and look at the ridiculous comments they cop. For all the open mouth first before they engage their brains pessimists do their own countries allow illegal migrants (and that is what they are) to wander around their home countries at will? Like hell they do in Aussie or NZ.

Oh, only 12-20 million or so in the US and now including a lot of incoming children (and other terrorists?):

Influx of Minors Across Texas Border ...

Oz and NZ are fortunate in that they have a natural moat. There are a lot of people who believe that you are too wealthy and that you should "share the wealth". Usually it's shared by force of government and sometimes one just gets mugged on the street.

Edited by MaxYakov

Why would they want to leave?? Can't they see we are all so happy?? laugh.png

These people would rather go back to Hun Sen and a military junta in Myanmar than stay in Thailand. It speaks volumes.

Now farang, tell me about your struggles under democracy in Pattaya, Phuket, Sukhumvit, Hua Hin...who will build your condos and clean your floors now??

These people would rather go back to Hun Sen and a military junta in Myanmar than stay in Thailand. It speaks volumes.

They go back to their home country, because they don´t have permit to live and work in Thailand. Do you have problems with eligal emegrants in your native country? How are they treated in your country?

Utter nonsense. I and others whom I know stay for months..... on holiday. Not everyone needs to work 9 to 5. Many have the freedom to holiday when and where they wish. Cast your aspersions elsewhere and more intelligently.

+1

I also stay for long periods between here and a neighbouring country and don't flout my tourist visas. My interests take care of them self mostly in my home country and go home only when needed.

I hope your Cambodian workers come back soon.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why would they want to leave?? Can't they see we are all so happy?? alt=laugh.png>

Now farang, tell me about your struggles under democracy in Pattaya, Phuket, Sukhumvit, Hua Hin...who will build your condos and clean your floors now??

What form of gov't...would you suggest to replace democracy...? Military coup...?

Enough condos have been built already...we can clean our own floors...who is going to help you feed your children and family...?

• Like 1