Fuel Prices

MadMac

I just realized today that Diesel prices have dropped by 14 Satang, now 30.60B per liter. Actually I was expecting the opposite, given the discussion of the junta with PTT and the consideration of further subsidy. That was still extended, but how come prices went down? How about petrol?

Gasohol,Diesel, LPG and NGV is subsidized by the Government for ages, Benzine is the only fuel with the floating prices, although they keep approximately 10 bahts/lit on Benzine to accommodate other fuel prices.

Yes, and they said they extend the subsidy, this is done on a monthly basis now AFAIK. But the question is, how can the price drop, when they even considered to stop subsidizing at all. Makes no sense.

Gas prices are up in the States...3.49 per gallon....more in California. We think the situation in Iraq is having an effect. Gasoline prices will jump, when crude prices go up, but are always slow to react to crude price drops. We're very close to a 52 week high on Brent....

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/USO:US Price controls usually just mean larger increases, when they realize they can't aford the subsidies any more.

The diesel price is currently subsidised by approximately 3 baht/litre to support farmers and haulage companies to maintain predictable costs for industry.

The trouble is, a huge proportion of the diesel used is fuel for personal vehicles (my own included). It wouldn't be hard to set up a system whereby those vehicles used for industrial purposes were able to reclaim the subsidy.

The trouble is, is there the desire to create a system for this whilst locking out the opportunity for corruption?

The diesel price is currently subsidised by approximately 3 baht/litre to support farmers and haulage companies to maintain predictable costs for industry.

The trouble is, a huge proportion of the diesel used is fuel for personal vehicles (my own included). It wouldn't be hard to set up a system whereby those vehicles used for industrial purposes were able to reclaim the subsidy.

The trouble is, is there the desire to create a system for this whilst locking out the opportunity for corruption?

Why aren't all commercial vehicles NPG or whatever? Surely all the miles they do would make it more economical. They could presumably build more NPG stations if necessary.

Most are, look at the trucks with the white tanks behind the cabin. Or taxis.

CNG has however two problems, it is under high pressure, thus the tanks are heavy and the range is about half compared to petrol or LPG. Also the time to fill up is much longer. Ever realized the taxi queues at CNG gas stations?

Anyway, that was not the question here. Diesel prices went down, why? Haven't seen LPG moving, cooking gas price (same stuff) was to be increased.

Here is how the US/UK do it to allow farm vehicles to be exempt from gas taxes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_dyes

Right; in other words, it would be exceptionally hard to set up such a system. wink.png

Not to mention that they don't really want to anyway, as it's a perk for the people mostly driving trucks, whose hearts and minds they're trying to win.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Most are, look at the trucks with the white tanks behind the cabin. Or taxis.

CNG has however two problems, it is under high pressure, thus the tanks are heavy and the range is about half compared to petrol or LPG. Also the time to fill up is much longer. Ever realized the taxi queues at CNG gas stations?

Anyway, that was not the question here. Diesel prices went down, why? Haven't seen LPG moving, cooking gas price (same stuff) was to be increased.

That's not most though is it - most commercial vehicles are pickups. Not sure why range/time to fill up matters - labour's cheap.

Found it, on 13 June:

Cut in diesel price today

The Energy Policy Administration Committee yesterday agreed to lower diesel retail price by 14 satang per litre, effective today.

It also approved a cut in the contribution from diesel sales to the Oil Fund by 56 satang per litre, bringing the total contribution to 81 satang per litre. This will add Bt33.60 million per day to the fund. However, the fund still faces a deficit of Bt7.5 billion.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/news-feed-30236128.html

When i first came here petrol was 7-8 bht a litre, some bottled water

was more expensive!, Ah ! the good old days.

regards Worgeordie

Ah yes..Remember when diesel topped out at 45 per liter.

The highest price I paid for Diesel in CNX ever (PTT station) was THB 42.89 on June 15th, 2008. This peak was only for a short period of time: From THB 38.35 three weeks earlier, and 3 weeks later already down again to THB 35.79.

Enclosed my available statistics.

post-9457-0-52792700-1402917168_thumb.jp