Low-fat or non-fat sugar free yogurt

Genericnic

Hi all

I am looking for fat-free or low fat, artificially sweetened yogurt in Chiang Mai. Tried Rimping, Makro, and Big C. Either I missed it or they didn't have it. Any information on where to get it would be appreciated.

David

I buy "0%" yogurt all the time, available at all these locations. Look for the large '0%' on the tub usually sold in a 4-pack at around 58B

I buy "0%" yogurt all the time, available at all these locations. Look for the large '0%' on the tub usually sold in a 4-pack at around 58B

Hi alaloss.

I found those but they all seen to have sugar added. The assistant manager at Rimping said it might be hard to find without sugar since Thais like it with sugar.

David

^Hmm...well I stand corrected. And all this time I'd thought it was the beer, not my zero-percent yoghurt, putting on the extra pounds.

Mind you deep down I always wondered what was zero'd, always assuming because of the extra price it was the sugar replacement. Ah well, as the Scottish train agent said when we told him we wanted to head to Wool in Dorset: Wool you say after we explained the geography; 'well ya learn a wee bit oa history every day.'

I really must get someone fluent in Thai to translate the alleged 0% tub.

Edited by ataloss

Make your own.

Any active yoghurt can be used as a starter (doesn't matter if sweetened or not).

One tablespoon of yoghurt stirred into a cup of milk and left covered overnight.

Ready the next morning.

I use the thick Delcheeso yoghurt from hideaway cafe as a starter.

(in the road behind the big SCB bank near Tesco on Hang Dong road)

• Like 1

^ Thanks for the tip A1A, is that any milk, or must it be whole milk vs 0%? - Hmm that 0%-dilema again.

Any milk will work, pasteurised, raw, reconstituted from powder, low fat, high fat.

No boiling, no preparation apart from cleanliness of cup, don't get your finger in the cup or milk, don't stir, tilt or disturb while fermenting.

Only the consistency (thickness) is affected, but the bacteria also changes that too, that's why I use the Delcheeso as a starter, the entirely natural result is as thick as you can get without using additives.

Fat content of milk not important, bacteria only eats and converts lactose, not fat or sugar.

The last spoonful from the yoghurt you made, starts the next cup, jar, container of milk.

The yoghurt you make will be very sour, sweeten, mix in honey, fruit or what ever you like until it suits your taste.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 2

There is a sugar free yoghurt on sale at most supermarkets. TOPS nearly always has it.

Can't think of the name, but the packet is white with blue typeface. Available in 2 sizes.

I have some kefir grains if you also like a kefir milk drink.

What a simple and effective tip.

Thanks for posting that AOA.

When you refer to "cup" you mean the American measure right? Or just any old cup?

tongue.png

Any container you can put a lid on. To stop insects getting in.

A plate balanced on a cup, mug, glass will do.

(Don't screw it down, don't seal tightly, cos gas is produced)

I just stand my mix on top of the fridge overnight, then pop it in the fridge in the morning.

(Thailand's overnight temp of around 30c is perfect for the fermenting yoghurt)

A small amount of clear yellow fluid will float on top of the yoghurt, which you can drink chuck, or stir back in.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 2

Lactose is natural milk sugar. Many Asian adults lack the digestive enzymes to break down this sugar, although all babies have the enzyme. So many Asians get big internal gas attacks when taking non-fermented milk products, making the yogurt popular.

• Like 1

There is a sugar free yoghurt on sale at most supermarkets. TOPS nearly always has it.

Can't think of the name, but the packet is white with blue typeface. Available in 2 sizes.

Thanks masuk. I'll give TOPS a look.

David

The brand masuk is referring to is probably "Yolida." It is indeed a no-sugar added yogurt. It is not, however low- or non-fat. I believe it is made from whole milk. You can get it at Rimping, but I've also seen it at Makro Hang Dong, selling for a bit less.

Many 7-Elevens have started carrying a line of yogurt called "Bulgaria," made by CP-Meiji, I believe. One variety with a blue label is no sugar added. But the price per serving is quite high.

I believe Dacheeso makes whole, low-fat and non-fat plain yogurts, but it would be good to call and find out for sure.

- HeyNow

The brand masuk is referring to is probably "Yolida." It is indeed a no-sugar added yogurt. It is not, however low- or non-fat. I believe it is made from whole milk. You can get it at Rimping, but I've also seen it at Makro Hang Dong, selling for a bit less.

Many 7-Elevens have started carrying a line of yogurt called "Bulgaria," made by CP-Meiji, I believe. One variety with a blue label is no sugar added. But the price per serving is quite high.

I believe Dacheeso makes whole, low-fat and non-fat plain yogurts, but it would be good to call and find out for sure.

- HeyNow

Thanks for the information HeyNow.

I had seen the Yolida brand but didn't realize it was no-sugar added. I'll have to check to see which is the worst part. I have a feeling the no-sugar added will outweigh not being non/low fat.

I seem to remember seeing Bulgaria at Rimping as well.

I think I saw Dacheeso at Rimping as well. If so, I'm pretty sure it has sugar added though I will go back and check closer.

Thanks again for the info.

David

p.s. If and when I actually find a low/non fat, no sugar added yogurt, I'll update this with the information.

My Yoghurt recommendation would be Farmers Union. It is not sweetened and very delicious!

Never understood why some people choose low-fat though... Besides such products being less tasty, fat has always been a natural and necessary part of humans' diet (while refined sugar has never been). There is continually growing evidence that refined sugar - not fat - is the main culprit behind obesity.

• Like 1

The healthiest yoghurt for any one wanting to avoid excess sugar etc is Meiji Bulgaria brand.Slightly more expensive that other brands

Dr Morgan,hang Dong health clinic, recently posted, on fb the, ratings for all yoghurt brands and this came out as best for people suffering from diabetes etc

It ranked better than Yolinda which I have always purchased.

Its not always easy to find but Big C, Hang Dong usually has it.

I am sorry I don't have the link of the review but a bit of searching would turn it up.

Really beware of the so called O% low fat yoghurts they may be low in fat but are very high in sugar,nearly double that of Bulgaria

The healthiest yoghurt for any one wanting to avoid excess sugar etc is Meiji Bulgaria brand.Slightly more expensive that other brands

Dr Morgan,hang Dong health clinic, recently posted, on fb the, ratings for all yoghurt brands and this came out as best for people suffering from diabetes etc

It ranked better than Yolinda which I have always purchased.

Its not always easy to find but Big C, Hang Dong usually has it.

I am sorry I don't have the link of the review but a bit of searching would turn it up.

Really beware of the so called O% low fat yoghurts they may be low in fat but are very high in sugar,nearly double that of Bulgaria

Thanks Sparkles

That's what I get for not doing FB.

David

Rimping near The (original) Duke's has several different types of good quality locally made stuff, but it is not in the same case as the sweetened yogurt. It is around the corner, in the back with some imported brands.

Edited by Ulysses G.

After reading various articles in the NYT Health section and in various magazines, including Time, about the preferability of full-fat food, I've switched back to eating fat again although I still prefer 2% milk for my cafe mochas because it contains fewer calories and makes me less full. As I remember, the title of one of the NYT articles was "Eat More Eggs." It turns out that the medical establishment has been wrong about the role that fat and cholesterol play in creating vascular disease in the heart or brain. For lots of information about this, go to spacedoc.com.

I find Yolida is bland and prefer Dairymans Natural Yogurt because it has a tangy flavour. No sugar and no preservatives. Natural low fat cows milk yogurt 180 grams is 25 baht and goats milk yogurt which is good for lactose intolerance 180 grams is 43 baht. Both in Rimping. Also, their website is www.dairymansyogurt.com.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I find Yolida is bland and prefer Dairymans Natural Yogurt because it has a tangy flavour. No sugar and no preservatives. Natural low fat cows milk yogurt 180 grams is 25 baht and goats milk yogurt which is good for lactose intolerance 180 grams is 43 baht. Both in Rimping. Also, their website is www.dairymansyogurt.com.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Are you sure about goat's milk being good for lactose intolerance? Isn't the sugar in goat's milk also lactose? I think goat's milk is recommended for people who are allergic to cow's milk but not for lactose intolerance.

Anyway, thanks for the tip about the yogurt. The website is actually www.dairymansyoghurt.com

I assume that as well as the usual 3 bacteria in natural yoghurt, it will have L. bulgaricus, maybe others as well.

I make my own yoghurt (4 or 6 litres of (full cream) milk a week) and when making a new starter batch I drop the contents from a pro-biotic capsule in, which contains L. bulgaricus and a few others not standard in supermarket yoghurt. Initially, I did it for the health benefits, but found straight away that it is much, much tastier. I had some shop bought yoghurt in England last week and it was really bland. Another thing which made a huge difference to the taste is something I didn't bother with for years, and that is boiling the milk then letting it cool down - can't remember what the science is exactly, but something happens to the lactose when it reaches about 85 degrees Celsius.

For anyone making larger quantities, it's worth freezing 'dollops' of a nice tasting fresh batch in icecube trays and defrosting whilst the milk is warming/cooling. No chance of contamination in the starter and the taste is always great, rather than losing some of it's taste after several generations are made.

• Like 1

The healthiest yogurt is to make your own..There is so much crap in natural yogurt and again the companies get around it by the lax labeling laws or misinterpretation of ingredients inside...I have a link which at the moment i can not find,,that breaks down all the ingredients in the major supermarket food stuff....Will post when i come across it

• Like 1

The healthiest yogurt is to make your own..There is so much crap in natural yogurt and again the companies get around it by the lax labeling laws or misinterpretation of ingredients inside...I have a link which at the moment i can not find,,that breaks down all the ingredients in the major supermarket food stuff....Will post when i come across it

Shop bought yoghurt has sweetening, preservatives, coloring, flavouring and thickening agents added.

You don't need any of them.

Make your own and,

Use fresh fruit for flavour.

Honey for sweetening.

Shop bought yoghurt has sweetening, preservatives, coloring, flavouring and thickening agents added.

You don't need any of them.

Make your own and,

Use fresh fruit for flavour.

Honey for sweetening.

yes the link i was going on about was something to do with plastics been added to some of the best known yogurts like i said...

What a simple and effective tip.

Thanks for posting that AOA.

When you refer to "cup" you mean the American measure right? Or just any old cup?

tongue.png

Any container you can put a lid on. To stop insects getting in.

A plate balanced on a cup, mug, glass will do.

(Don't screw it down, don't seal tightly, cos gas is produced)

I just stand my mix on top of the fridge overnight, then pop it in the fridge in the morning.

(Thailand's overnight temp of around 30c is perfect for the fermenting yoghurt)

A small amount of clear yellow fluid will float on top of the yoghurt, which you can drink chuck, or stir back in.

incredibly easy to make. the only thing we do different is we bring the temperature of the milk up (not boiling) but very hot and then add the cup of plain yoghurt. we put it in a large, plastic, covered container and cover it with towels so light can't get in. the wife usually lets it sit 2 days otherwise the yoghurt tends to be very thin and runny. after 2 days it is quite thick. and yes it will be quite sour until you add honey if desired. we used to buy the milk from a dairy farm in Saraphi but don't bother anymore. you can get the plastic cups and tops for them at any plastic shop. transfer the yoghurt to individual serving cups.

When you read the "how to" instructions, remember they weren't written for people living in the tropics.

It's a lot hotter here, bacteria grows quickly at our room temperatures.

No need for any heating in the process.

As long as the temperature is at least in the low 30's it should work. But if you like your yogurt thicker then heating the milk to about 85 C or 185 F will change the structure of the milk proteins and make for a thicker yogurt. Then holding it at about 110 F -115 F will also help make it thicker. It will also have less whey floating about. Some people don't like whey. Also, that higher temperature will kill a lot of bacteria that might compete with the kind that make yogurt.

All that said, I prefer yogurt made the way you do. I think it has more flavors. Probably safest to open a fresh container of milk to minimize bacterial competition.