Good seafood and fresh food wet market on Samui

I'm off down to Samui staying at self catered accommodation for a week or so and keen to eat as much good seafood as possible. Any ideas on the best wet market about where I can pick up some groceries and fresh seafood?

Thanks in advance.

The market on the ring road south of Nathon (not the first one at the edge of town, but just before the turn off to Baan Taling Ngam) is at Saket. In the back corner of the fish area there is a stall which also does wholesale, they have coolers full of all grades of prawns in a little shack just behind them outside of the main area. Nice people. Hua Thanon has a lot of fish, often good quality and variety. Better in the morning than later. Both of those markets have a fair selection of vegetables. The main fresh market in Nathon inside the town (on the street Lotus is on, but the other end of the street) is a morning market, it is the closest to Lipa Noi.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Can I know why a seafood could be the best when they all sell exactly the same things bought at the same place ?

In my opinion it could only be best if selling cheaper than others which never happens.

You can get last weeks catch cheaper. wink.png

What a coincidence. I was just about to post in the food thread when I saw this.

attachicon.gif20141029_163942.jpg attachicon.gif20141029_163953.jpg attachicon.gif20141029_164014.jpg

Today's catch of the day in Nathon. There are several vendors.

The prawns are 550/kg and I'm told this is the season when they're cheapest. In December, the price will be over 1000bt.

OK, I just noticed this is actually an ancient thread from June...

Also, you who bumped this thread obviously don't understand how it works.

If you walk and take a careful look of what each vendor has to offer, you will see there is difference!

Sometimes you have to ask them for the real HUGE prawns, which they may have a few stashed away in the big ice box. Mind you, they may not be cheap, but when it comes to these specialities, just take my money and gimme dem prawns.

Unfortunately, no huge prawns today, only whatever you see in that pic. Another vendor further down had only a few prawns on a small plate, around this size also.

Some seasons, you can get live mantis shrimp and flathead lobster still kicking. Can't get any fresher than that.

The price you pay goes to maintain their income so they can keep fishing and bring us more freshness, so do not ever complain about the price! Otherwise, go and eat your cheaper farmed fish fed on growth hormone & antibiotic infused feed. While the wild seafood eats whatever it can prey on.

Mole,

Great post and appreciate the photos.

Certainly wish I had found this place on my visits.

Cheers