Bangkok motorbike taxi services at Rama 9 to be reorganized by security forces

webfact

Motorbike taxi services at Phra Ram 9 Road to be reorganized by security forces

BANGKOK, 19 June 2014 (NNT) - Major Apirat Kongsompong, the Commander of the 1st Division, King’s Guard, revealed that military and police officers have went down to the Phra Ram 9 Road area to rearrange motorbike taxi services.

The project would be divided into three different phases. However, the main priority at this point is to concentrate on the first phase, which involves providing fair pricing regulations and ensuring that all motorcycle taxi operators are properly registered.

Throughout Bangkok, 4,500 motorcycle taxis have a valid driving license, 700 others are still awaiting approval of their license, and the remaining 500 don’t have a driving license at all.

Motorcycle taxi drivers are also to remain free from the influence of mafia groups or any political affiliations. So far, there have been at least 30 influential people who have been operating behind-the-scenes by controlling fare prices and taking advantage of motorcycle taxi drivers.

Bangkok residents and members of the public are encouraged to report to the Royal Thai Army Radio Station 1, should they find any incriminating evidence regarding these mafia groups.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-19 footer_n.gif

AFTER COUP
Army's move against Rama IX illegal motorbike stand hailed

THE NATION

30236682-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- THE CHIEF of the Association of Taxi Motorcyclists of Thailand yesterday hailed the Army's inspection of motorcycle taxi stands in the Rama IX area, some of which are reportedly illegal and allegedly backed by a "big fish".

Association chief Chalerm Changthongmadan told a FM97 news show yesterday that Maj-General Apirat Khongsompong, commander of the Army's 1st Division, was initially scheduled to inspect the motorbike taxi stands at Soi Lat Phrao 101 but instead decided to check the area near Central Rama IX mall.

Chalerm claimed that he and legally registered motorcycle taxis had filed a complaint with then-Bangkok police chief Pol Maj-General Camronwit Toopgrajank about the illegal taxi stand in Soi Ratchada II, adding that the illegal motorbike taxi operators also assaulted them.

"But the illegal stand was backed by a politician. I was also told not to touch it, but I insisted on the rights of the legal stand to be observed," he said, adding that the Army might tackle this case and use it as an example.

Chalerm said he agreed with the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) policy to legalise all unauthorised stands, provided it did not affect the existing legal ones.

Meanwhile, Apirat, along with acting Bangkok police chief Pol Lt-General Chakthip Chaijinda, inspected the Rama IX stands yesterday.

Apirat said he would be reporting the results and the problems to the NCPO soon, adding that he had information about 30 influential figures. He also confirmed that these individuals were officials and would face investigation and disciplinary action.

He also called on the taxi motorcyclists to have work ethics, dress politely and not take advantage of passengers. He also warned them not to turn into shady figures themselves. There are 4,500 legal motorcycle taxi stands in Bangkok, 700 stands are pending registration and some 500 are illegal.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-20

'Chalerm said he agreed with the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) policy to legalise all unauthorised stands, provided it did not affect the existing legal ones.'

Erm... If they are illegal and have a tendency to resort to violence, and the whole think backed up by a politician, then they should be arrested, their stands demolished and jailed until they name the politician who in turn should face up to 20 years for running a mafia while in office.

But they want to actually reward these dirtbags with 'legal stratus'?????

Am I reading this wrong or what?

• Like 2

Military junta gets tough with mafia-run motorcycle taxis

motorcycle-taxi-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Soldiers, police, city police and transport officials began to take action on motorcycle taxis throughout the capital, with the first on-the-spot inspection at one of Bangkok's busiest commercial centres, Rama 9 intersection, where legal services provided alongside mafia-run motorcycle taxis.

Under direction from the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), authorities looked at the permits of the various motorcycle taxi queues to see that they were in order, and unregistered motorcycle taxis are not allowed to operate.

Motorcycle taxis can be identified by the orange coloured vests with numbers on their backs. At some busiest and densely-populated area, a vest is sold at prices as high as 400,000 baht.

Today the Land Transport Department will be making allowances for new queues to be registered. This will also allow them to ascertain the total overall number of motorcycle queues operating in the capital. When they have done so, then the request will be processed and motorcycles will have to be registered as commercial vehicles which last for 18 months at a time.

The public is advised to report any illegal activities to the 1st Royal Guards Army Division.

Yesterday, commander of the 1st Royal Guards Army Division, Maj-Gen Apirat Kongsompong, along with the acting metropolitan police commissioner and the director-general of the Land Transport Department made checks on motorcycle taxis at Rama 9.

The commander inspected here on reports of over-pricing, congestion problems and suspected influential individuals demanding high compensations for providing protection.

Maj-Gen Apirat stated that measures for regulating motorcycles taxis will be divided into three parts.

The first is for all motorcycle queues to post prices for service at their locations and the second is that the setting up of motorcycle taxi queues will require permits and cannot be set up anywhere that is convenient.

These motorcycles will have to be registered as commercial vehicles with the Land Transport Department before they can provide service, he said.

As of the present, there are all together only 4,500 legally registered motorcycle taxi queues in all of the 50 urban zones located within Bangkok. Another 700 queues waiting to be granted permits and another 500 are illegally run queues without the proper permits and shows signs of increasing further, he said.

The third and final phase will be the tackling of 30 suspected influential figures made up of former and present civil servants who coerce bribes from these motorcycle queues in return for protection. A committee made up of the police, military and Land Transport personnel will be responsible for this action, he said.

Maj-Gen Apirat stated “We don’t need evidence. That we can find when we carry out investigations ourselves. What we require are for people to report on these activities. Let me be very clear, should any evidence of illegal behaviour be uncovered, sever action will be taken. Both the Army and police chiefs are adamant on this issue.”

According to motorcycle taxis and investigations by authorities, retail sales of motorcycle taxi queue vests can go anywhere from 10,000 – 400,000 baht.

And this is the main reason for the growth of illegal motorcycle queues throughout the capital because the Land Transport Department sets a limit on the maximum amount of queues as well as the number motorcycles per queue.

The Motorcycle Taxi Cooperative revealed that these vests are bought and sold at very high prices and some are even rented out on a daily or monthly basis. The highest prices for these vests are at the Sukhumvit Soi 81 and Thonglor areas with reported prices of between 100,000 – 400,000 baht. This is followed by Ratchada road with prices of 100,000 – 300,000 baht and Ladprao with prices of between 20,000 – 300,000 baht.

Prices mostly depend on the location of these queues such as with locations close to electric train stations and areas located within business centres. Monthly rental prices are at between 6,000 – 7,000 baht. New purchasers of these vests will also have to pay transfer of ownership costs with the Land Transport Department of about 10,000 baht.

Furthermore, daily fee will have to be paid influential individuals who provide protection for these queues. It is estimated that no less than three billion baht is in circulation every year related to motorcycle queues.

A motorcycle taxi in Sukhumvit 81 said, “If you own a vest then you have it made but for those with no money that is not a possibility. The Land Transport Department only allows a maximum number of vehicles of 151 for each queue.”

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/military-junta-gets-tough-mafia-run-motorcycle-taxis/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-06-20

If these are the guys who operate just in front of Central rama 9 then they are some of the worst scum I know.

I often used to take these guys to an address on Rama 9. The official fare was 15 baht but most wanted 20 or 25 baht. One guy agreed to 15 but when I got there wanted 50!. He threatened me physically and I gave him 20. Luckily the security at the office knew me and came to help.

I later found out through the messenger (who worked with them in the evenings) that many people had complained about that particular guy. (I had his number)

Most motorbike taxis are ok.

The other place I avoid is at Thong Lor boat pier. These guys are always drunk by 5 pm. I have often seen them gambling (with many other customers and taxi drivers) and even seen a big fight where the police just stood and watched.

It is estimated that no less than three billion baht is in circulation every year related to motorcycle queues.

The third and final phase will be the tackling of 30 suspected influential figures made up of former and present civil servants who coerce bribes from these motorcycle queues in return for protection.

Well, the naysayers can continue to bleat on about how bad this coup is and that it's an affront to democracy, but yet again, things are getting done that needed to be done . . . so until such time as they screw something up badly, big big thumbs up . . . !

Agree 100%. The 'naysayers' only venture out of the woodwork when they make negative comments, but nary a squeak when there is good news (which seems to be daily smile.png)

• Like 1

I live in that area. I never had a problem with them. They see me, they rightly charge me double as a foreigner, they take me up and down Ratchadapisek Rd at 100 kph in traffic...and as long as they don't kill me, I'm satisfied.

I live in that area. I never had a problem with them. They see me, they rightly charge me double as a foreigner, they take me up and down Ratchadapisek Rd at 100 kph in traffic...and as long as they don't kill me, I'm satisfied.

"...and as long as they don't kill me, I'm satisfied.".

If by chance, one speedy journey through traffic becomes your final one, may your degree of satisfaction be ever so keen whilst meeting your maker.

I do wish you well and stay safe.