Police probe video of mother beating 5-year-old son for not selling enough souvenirs

webfact

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a woman kicking a kid in rather a crowded place once. All the Thais just totally ignored her. I shouted at her rather loudly from 15 feet away 'Jai rai tee sood' and she stopped. The problem here is nobody cares, they just turn a blind eye to everything.

Almost. They don't just ignore it, they reach for their cameras and video the event rather than intervene.

The have caught up with the mother, father and child. No charges were laid. The mother stated that she was just disciplining her child like all parents do after her he threw a rock at another child splitting his head open. But the VDO clip, which was taken 2 months ago, looked worse than it actually was. The reason they fled was they were worried that the authorities would take her child away from her.

What's your source?

Thai newspaper. If you want the source PM me and I will send you the link. Cannot provide it here cuz of rules.

'... parents should not force their children to hawk goods ... as children should be in school instead ...' ?? So, where are the police in Bangkok when kids of all ages, can be seen at all times of the day and night, in numerous locations, begging for money or flogging cheap souvenirs, instead of being in school, or playing, or sleeping?

I have witnessed a friend of my then girlfriend beating a child so hard he couldn't scream anymore, just a sort of wimper. It has haunted me for years. I couldn't intervene as TIT, but I never spoke to her again.

What a man - you can always intervene in any case of injustice

"We didn't intend to make any arrest. We want to find a solution and help them, because violence against children will imprint violent memories on the child. He may repeat the violence in the future and affect society on a wider scale," Pol.Maj.Gen. Sermkit explained. "That's why we want to [determine] what was the cause of the violence."

"We believe the family was stressed by their situation of poverty, and so [Kaew] committed violence against her child," said Mr. Wicharapon.

Yet again Thailand is 50 years behind the times, not that this is anything new to us. No arrest, after beating a 5 year old? Determine the cause of violence, as if it isn't that the child is a slave to parents to earn money?

Social Services in any Western country would have removed the child immediately, and the parents WOULD BE arrested.

Yet again, with all the concern for immigrant abuse, is the internal Thai child abuse ignored, as it is too threatening to the 'FACE' of Thailand.

Take the child away, NCPO, and start to set up PSYCHOLOGICAL support units for such children, and the mentally ill. It is not embarassing for humans to have ill-adjusted mental traits. Time you got REAL.

Don't get so excited and prosecutorial Ubon. I was at a beauty parlour recently waiting for the missus to get beautifed.

The lady who was doing the job's mother (granny) came out of the house next door chasing said beautifiers young lad...maybe 2 and a half, with a small twig off a tree. Kid was screaming as thought the devil was after him,with granny flogging him (softly). I thought this was great to see!!

A youngster testing his limits and granny exerting her authority!

I must admit I did have a weird feeling inside having been programmed over the years to reject this child abuse concept but then I remembered I got a belt for doing wrong in the .olden days of the 60's as well. The West could learn a lot from the Thais about how we went soft and stuffed up.

No excuse at all, but at the same time, poverty drives people to extreme and dysfunctional behavior. In a country where children go to bed hungry and the elderly beg in the street, every time i see somebody (Thai or farang) loading their shopping bags full of high-end garbage into their Mercedes, I want to puke.

You are, of course, referring to the UK, US or Australia?

Wicharapon Chairattana, an official of the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security in Ayutthaya province, said authorities will attempt to locate Ms. Kaew and determine whether she is capable of raising her child in a safe environment.

And if the mother is proven incapable of raising her child in a safe environment, then what? And that is the major question.

• Like 1