Voting In Thailand

manfromoz

OK, here is a question that will affect many people living in Thailand. With the electrions this year what are the laws as far as Thai's having to vote?

The wife has been told she needs to go home and register her vote on the day of the election. If I can avoid a 10 hour drive with a new born baby I will, but does anybody know what the laws are as far as not voting? Or is there any form of absentee voting system (I doubt it but thought I would ask)?

If they need to go home, then I guess there will be a lot of lonely men hanging around for a few days while their gf's, wives etc go tell the government what they think.

:o

Thanks Dr,

So although it is compulsory, if she doen't vote then there wont be any fines or anything else imposed?

They might not let her become an MP or something terrible like that. :o As far as I know, there's no fine yet ( if there was, it'd be easier to pay than to haul herself across the country to vote )

Voting has to be done in person.

If there is a fine for not voting, then my wife must have clocked up quite a bit, as she never votes.

Don't worry unless your wife is desperate to vote.

Mind you if she does not vote she had no right to complian about the quality ( and I use the word lightly) of government.