3 things people should do when they come to Thailand

Thaistory

Here are my recommendations for anyone who plans to travel to Thailand (this is supposed to be funny, so...):

PS: I made it in 2011 and totally forgot about it...

Edited by Thaistory
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing your video, a good attempt on your behalf to introduce Thailand to foreigners.

I agree with your advice learning a few Thai words, but I disagree that when greeting somebody, with Swadee Khrap or Kha, you have to wai.

That's not true and proper.

There was a little video on TV about how and when to wai, that was quite informative.

• Like 1

Who is this Guy, totally disagree...first off do not look like a tourist..do not wear a Hawaii shirt or looked lost..do not wear a camera...the words you should know is Mio Cup...NO THANK YOU as you will be in-indated with scammers taxis or tourist guides trying to book you into a expensive hotel... Sawadee Cup..hello..anyone home...forget that..learn to count to 10..simple as my son whom visited two years ago learned fairly quickly...learn 1-5 first then...oh yes if you are on your final journey into BKK wear a tie and long sleeve shirt..again this is to protect ya in that you are a seasoned traveler to Thailand and know the in's and out's.

Visit Pattaya...I spend nearly 8 months there and love it...I spent nearly 4 yrs in the ISSAN and did not enjoy it as much as Pattaya...FYI..Sports club, sailing...rock climbing..tennis..squash...great restaurants..and cheap to live...go with someone you know to the bars if possible..going solo means trouble in that being your first time may be open to some bad experiences.

Trust you will follow what I have said...seasoned travelers may have the same advice...keep well Sawadee Khum Ron

Edited by rotorbreeze
  • Like 1

My mentor as it were, the guy who introduced me to Thailand many years ago

and then was on his 35th trip here told me the “3 golden rules”

1. Always were a condom
  2. Don’t fall in love.
  3. Never give out your phone number

It took me 2 days to break all three.

Ah! Memories

Have A Nice Day.

I have two to add to the list. Abandon all search for common sense and reason.

• Like 2

I was told

1. Learn a little Thai

2. Don't give out your number

3. Thailand is like pealing an onion it never stops burning you, the more you go into it the more you get burnt

Good advice especially the 3 point although at the time I didn't understand it .... now I do ...

1. Learn a few Thai words, but not just any words...learn how to say the numbers....mai pen rai is also useful often.

2. Forget the wai, a tourist waiing a street vendor would make for a great youtube video for laughing Thais.

3. Yes, get out of Pattaya and BKK...till you discover that those other places maybe wanna be like Pattaya and BKK.

Who is this Guy, totally disagree...first off do not look like a tourist..do not wear a Hawaii shirt or looked lost..do not wear a camera...the words you should know is Mio Cup...NO THANK YOU as you will be in-indated with scammers taxis or tourist guides trying to book you into a expensive hotel... Sawadee Cup..hello..anyone home...forget that..learn to count to 10..simple as my son whom visited two years ago learned fairly quickly...learn 1-5 first then...oh yes if you are on your final journey into BKK wear a tie and long sleeve shirt..again this is to protect ya in that you are a seasoned traveler to Thailand and know the in's and out's.

Visit Pattaya...I spend nearly 8 months there and love it...I spent nearly 4 yrs in the ISSAN and did not enjoy it as much as Pattaya...FYI..Sports club, sailing...rock climbing..tennis..squash...great restaurants..and cheap to live...go with someone you know to the bars if possible..going solo means trouble in that being your first time may be open to some bad experiences.

Trust you will follow what I have said...seasoned travelers may have the same advice...keep well Sawadee Khum Ron

Mio cup heheheheheheh

sawadee cup hehehehehehehheh

• Like 2

Here we go again....what is the mentality of people like this who cannot refer to another foreigner that lives in Pattaya other than ....Pattaya is for old foreigners that go with young women. Are there no young foreigners in Pattaya. They simply have to use a derogatory term when it comes to talking about fellow foreigners.

Edited by dotpoom

Here we go again....what is the mentality of people like this who cannot refer to another foreigner that lives in Pattaya other than ....Pattaya is for old foreigners that go with young women. Are there no young foreigners in Pattaya. They simply have to use a derogatory term when it comes to talking about fellow foreigners.

It does seem that Pattaya comes in for a lot of flak because of it's reputation as a geriatric's whorehouse but as you say not everyone who lives there is a desperate old farang chasing girls young enough to be their grand daughter. There are younger foreigners too... dozens of them.

Never talk to a stranger!lol!

I think there are no strict guidelines that someone have to follow! Everyone will find his own island here! It's not nesarsary to read a complete library to be a better person!

The idiology in some books could be bad for your mind, and then you have to clear out , in a meditation carouse of the text temple !

1. Dont leave youre brain at the brain-storage counter at the airport - although most other do.....

2. Take a double dose of your Antabus pills every day as long as your stay there.

3. Learn that you should never start a relationship with a thai woman unless she can support you economically forever.

And you will have a pleasant stay.... ;-)

I have mentioned this before in another thread. To me, the biggest chunk of advice is don't trust the Thai police. We have in the West a cultural trust in the police, and also the legal system. This is totally misplaced in Thailand and can lead to a lot of problems. For example, don't give a Thai policeman of whatever rank your passport. If they insist, they can look at it, you turn the pages and point out the relevant bits, but don't let them get hold of it. OK, I'll modify that - if they pull a gun on you,then maybe give it to them. But, if they do that, it just proves the basic premise, don't trust 'em!

Mio cup heheheheheheh

sawadee cup hehehehehehehheh

"...as you will be in-indated with scammers taxis or tourist guides trying to book you into a expensive hotel..."

Not sure what in-indated means, but once again we have someone rushing to Thai Visa to acknowledge to the world that he's a sitting duck for "scammers" who wouldn't inundate anyone unless he was wearing a target .

index~~element31.jpg

"Mio cup heheheheheheh" hehehehe mai ao krap indeed.

Edited by Suradit69

Yes , this guy made his point. It was funny .

Finally one post which made me lough... 555

That's what we need here ..fun as much as possible and funny and good nature man.

I do not agree with those who are trying to criticize him for his accent or ability to speak Thai.

It is nonsense and lack of humor and for those who are thinking they are speak good Thai....(???) 555 ....and trying to teach others...when comes to funny message.

YOU NEVER SPEAK THAI WITH PROPER ACCENT unless you are born here) (My Thai partner also disagree with "teachers" on this posts and believe me she had good Thai and English schools before)

I was in the country place where is family of my g/f and I had a really good time with them even not knowing one Thai word .Body language did a lot of fun but I gained a lot of respect from her family .....Language barrier is not a barrier for good heart people.

Please don't forget that even Thai from different regions are speak different accent too hence it is nonsense to argue here about this in between farangs.

That is really funny!

Guys !

It should be more fellows like him on this forum ....At least we could have really good time everyday.

This most amazing post I can advise to read is from Sandman77 ; "Take only your good memory's with you , inside your heart! ".....(forget about bad ones)

My advise ...

1. Read "Sandman77 post.

2. Be willing to learn others culture....( learning bad experience is part of our life and we know this subject very well hence learning only good things does not make you good human )

3. Be smart but teach yourself to be reasonable and understanding to others every day here.......it helps a lot!

4. Do not forget TO SMILE! (everyday)

Sorry for a bit long post.

Have a good Thai day.

Edited by gigman
  • Like 2

I have mentioned this before in another thread. To me, the biggest chunk of advice is don't trust the Thai police. We have in the West a cultural trust in the police, and also the legal system. This is totally misplaced in Thailand and can lead to a lot of problems. For example, don't give a Thai policeman of whatever rank your passport. If they insist, they can look at it, you turn the pages and point out the relevant bits, but don't let them get hold of it. OK, I'll modify that - if they pull a gun on you,then maybe give it to them. But, if they do that, it just proves the basic premise, don't trust 'em!

Well, I can not agree in this point with you.

For me it is touchy subject because i know a lot how police works in many different countries.

1.Police in whole world is just another controlled or uncontrolled power of individual or whole system to keep citizen in barrier of rules which very often clash with country constitutional rights of it's citizens,

2.I am coming from western "civilized" country where I can not trust police. Those times gone loooooong time ago where we had a power to fight against unjustified or wrong doing police member. This days it is impossible . Actually it is better not to even try it and to be in their log files...

3.I have audio recording from court case in domestic dispute ....You would not believe what western police can achieve in court by manipulating law that is easier for them to finish case quickly and for both parties to loose when you can not afford a good lawyer.

Hence please do not teach people about police here and in western brain washed world.

To be honest i am not young anymore and I have more experience about police then most on this forum ..(with respect but I came across even Communist police in the past )

If you try to tell me that Thai police is corrupted that is nothing new . In my western world country police is corrupted more then you think mate and I know how it works. It is more clever then you think hence please do not tell me about trusting police. I had a g/f in police over there...ok and I know this kind of corruption never ever can be charged....this is clever system very clever to take money from citizens for not doing wrong...

Now , after learning about Thai police i can say one think.....

I prefer Thai police to deal with then western country one......(I never forget sarcastic smile in my face from western police who has very good wages and abusing their power)

Thai 's police are mainly still humans (still humans)

And to dissolve bad mood here...

What's wrong to show a passport to police??? If they take it ...it must be a reason 555

What the problem? maybe it is a good way to extend your stay here instead of border run 555 if you love Thailand.....

By local law (I learned recently on this site ) foreigner must have his passport all the time and specially for local police.

How do you expect them to chase criminals or just bad ones ???

Life is more beautiful here then to be occupied by talking about police.... This is POWER where ever you are.

Have good Thai day mate ! ....I wish you smile 555

One night in Pattaya ages a young man

• Like 1

Well, I can not agree in this point with you.

For me it is touchy subject because i know a lot how police works in many different countries.

1.Police in whole world is just another controlled or uncontrolled power of individual or whole system to keep citizen in barrier of rules which very often clash with country constitutional rights of it's citizens,

2.I am coming from western "civilized" country where I can not trust police. Those times gone loooooong time ago where we had a power to fight against unjustified or wrong doing police member. This days it is impossible . Actually it is better not to even try it and to be in their log files...

3.I have audio recording from court case in domestic dispute ....You would not believe what western police can achieve in court by manipulating law that is easier for them to finish case quickly and for both parties to loose when you can not afford a good lawyer.

Hence please do not teach people about police here and in western brain washed world.

To be honest i am not young anymore and I have more experience about police then most on this forum ..(with respect but I came across even Communist police in the past )

If you try to tell me that Thai police is corrupted that is nothing new . In my western world country police is corrupted more then you think mate and I know how it works. It is more clever then you think hence please do not tell me about trusting police. I had a g/f in police over there...ok and I know this kind of corruption never ever can be charged....this is clever system very clever to take money from citizens for not doing wrong...

Now , after learning about Thai police i can say one think.....

I prefer Thai police to deal with then western country one......(I never forget sarcastic smile in my face from western police who has very good wages and abusing their power)

Thai 's police are mainly still humans (still humans)

And to dissolve bad mood here...

What's wrong to show a passport to police??? If they take it ...it must be a reason 555

What the problem? maybe it is a good way to extend your stay here instead of border run 555 if you love Thailand.....

By local law (I learned recently on this site ) foreigner must have his passport all the time and specially for local police.

How do you expect them to chase criminals or just bad ones ???

Life is more beautiful here then to be occupied by talking about police.... This is POWER where ever you are.

Have good Thai day mate ! ....I wish you smile 555

ohhh, ok 555 means ha ha ha ...In Thai number 5 sounds ha