3 things people should do when they come to Thailand

Thaistory

What mean 555?

It's ok ..In Thailand number 5 sounds ;" Ha " .Hence they writing it using number 5 on computer or phone. it is much faster.. for longer lough.

We are using LoL .

Regards

I have mentioned this before in another thread. To me, the biggest chunk of advice is don't trust the Thai police. We have in the West a cultural trust in the police, and also the legal system. This is totally misplaced in Thailand and can lead to a lot of problems. For example, don't give a Thai policeman of whatever rank your passport. If they insist, they can look at it, you turn the pages and point out the relevant bits, but don't let them get hold of it. OK, I'll modify that - if they pull a gun on you,then maybe give it to them. But, if they do that, it just proves the basic premise, don't trust 'em!

I agree with not trusting the RTP, but to take it a step further, never trust anyone until given reason to do so... The truth is that if you are a farang in Thailand, you have a target on your back for the locals to take advantage...

For your second point, that 'we' basically trust law enforcement and the judicial system in the west, I'm not sure where you are from, but trusting these criminal branches of government is ludicrous...

Thanks for sharing your video, a good attempt on your behalf to introduce Thailand to foreigners.

I agree with your advice learning a few Thai words, but I disagree that when greeting somebody, with Swadee Khrap or Kha, you have to wai.

That's not true and proper.

There was a little video on TV about how and when to wai, that was quite informative.

I wai everyone. Was only corrected once by some foreign snob. It has worked out very well over many years. Being polite rarely hurts anyone.

I have mentioned this before in another thread. To me, the biggest chunk of advice is don't trust the Thai police. We have in the West a cultural trust in the police, and also the legal system. This is totally misplaced in Thailand and can lead to a lot of problems. For example, don't give a Thai policeman of whatever rank your passport. If they insist, they can look at it, you turn the pages and point out the relevant bits, but don't let them get hold of it. OK, I'll modify that - if they pull a gun on you,then maybe give it to them. But, if they do that, it just proves the basic premise, don't trust 'em!

Sir, You really need to change your life and life style. Though from the look and sound of your post, it is understandable why you can't trust police. They want to protect us from the malfunctioning minds and the selfish guests that already made it past the border. Though good guess, you were also misery wherever you came to Thailand from. Take couple of asprins and resume your big sleep. You are not part of any solution. Push, pull or get out of the way. We need to start, Cry Baby VISA.

Thanks for sharing your video, a good attempt on your behalf to introduce Thailand to foreigners.

I agree with your advice learning a few Thai words, but I disagree that when greeting somebody, with Swadee Khrap or Kha, you have to wai.

There was a little video on TV about how and when to wai, that was quite informative.

I wai everyone. Was only corrected once by some foreign snob. It has worked out very well over many years. Being polite rarely hurts anyone.

Good Luck to you.

Hope you never understand what Thai people, say behind your back, about that silly farang.

Being polite is very different from being ignorant as to who you should wai.

Then again maybe you just have to let Thailand show you the way when you first come here. I arrived drunk, late in the evening after 27hrs of travel. Checked into Dynasty Inn, washed quickly, hit the streets and do not remember much after that. I awoke in the morning, sat up painfully and there sitting cross-legged next to me in the bed was a pretty little girl who smiled and cheerily exclaimed "Wewcome to Thailand!"

• Like 2

Here we go again....what is the mentality of people like this who cannot refer to another foreigner that lives in Pattaya other than ....Pattaya is for old foreigners that go with young women. Are there no young foreigners in Pattaya. They simply have to use a derogatory term when it comes to talking about fellow foreigners.

One night in Pattaya ages a young man

Or bestows the illusions of youth upon an old one.

T

• Like 1

Here we go again....what is the mentality of people like this who cannot refer to another foreigner that lives in Pattaya other than ....Pattaya is for old foreigners that go with young women. Are there no young foreigners in Pattaya. They simply have to use a derogatory term when it comes to talking about fellow foreigners.

It does seem that Pattaya comes in for a lot of flak because of it's reputation as a geriatric's whorehouse but as you say not everyone who lives there is a desperate old farang chasing girls young enough to be their grand daughter. There are younger foreigners too... dozens of them.

Some of us old geriatric degenerates were once young degenerates with girls of the same age on our arms (and other places) . It is just that our libido never grew old like our bodies did.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Never talk to a stranger!lol!

I think there are no strict guidelines that someone have to follow! Everyone will find his own island here! It's not nesarsary to read a complete library to be a better person!
The idiology in some books could be bad for your mind, and then you have to clear out , in a meditation carouse of the text temple !

I notice your English is getting a lot better Sandy..........................thumbsup.gif

Some big words in there that I didn't need the Sandmanese translation for.

Don't lose the script...........................wink.png

• 1 month later...

Well, I can not agree in this point with you.

For me it is touchy subject because i know a lot how police works in many different countries.

1.Police in whole world is just another controlled or uncontrolled power of individual or whole system to keep citizen in barrier of rules which very often clash with country constitutional rights of it's citizens,

2.I am coming from western "civilized" country where I can not trust police. Those times gone loooooong time ago where we had a power to fight against unjustified or wrong doing police member. This days it is impossible . Actually it is better not to even try it and to be in their log files...

3.I have audio recording from court case in domestic dispute ....You would not believe what western police can achieve in court by manipulating law that is easier for them to finish case quickly and for both parties to loose when you can not afford a good lawyer.

Hence please do not teach people about police here and in western brain washed world.

To be honest i am not young anymore and I have more experience about police then most on this forum ..(with respect but I came across even Communist police in the past )

If you try to tell me that Thai police is corrupted that is nothing new . In my western world country police is corrupted more then you think mate and I know how it works. It is more clever then you think hence please do not tell me about trusting police. I had a g/f in police over there...ok and I know this kind of corruption never ever can be charged....this is clever system very clever to take money from citizens for not doing wrong...

Now , after learning about Thai police i can say one think.....

I prefer Thai police to deal with then western country one......(I never forget sarcastic smile in my face from western police who has very good wages and abusing their power)

Thai 's police are mainly still humans (still humans)

And to dissolve bad mood here...

What's wrong to show a passport to police??? If they take it ...it must be a reason 555

What the problem? maybe it is a good way to extend your stay here instead of border run 555 if you love Thailand.....

By local law (I learned recently on this site ) foreigner must have his passport all the time and specially for local police.

How do you expect them to chase criminals or just bad ones ???

Life is more beautiful here then to be occupied by talking about police.... This is POWER where ever you are.

Have good Thai day mate ! ....I wish you smile 555

All this is solved by carrying around a color copy of your passport, which you can always walk away from. It allows the policeman to save face, as you have valid proof of who you are. But, you are not taking all the risks associated with carrying around your passport on a daily basis. Mine stays locked up. I use my color copy all the time.

Spidermike

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

I agree. That video is a lot of hi so garbage. Your true place on the social ladder kind of nonsense. Do not buy into it. It reinforces centuries of a system that is very nearly a caste system.

Spidermike

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• 3 weeks later...

You got it right, Arrive in Phuket, by plane, avoid BKK all together. spend some time at the beach, go

see Phuket Fantasy , take a few tours. Enjoy some time in the south part of Thailand, and if you have time

fly from Phuket to Koh Samui, see the difference, spend 2 or 3 nights there then fly back to Phuket.

That was my favorite trip to Thailand some years ago. One other trip was to fly into Chang Mai, spend a week in the area

and take tours, there are lots of place to see. Fly from there into Mae Hong Son, enjoy another neat place with great scenery

and enjoy the northern experience. Then on your third trip to Thailand, fly into BKK, spend a week there. Take in some city tours, and a tour to Ayuthaya with a boat ride back to BKK, it is one tour you will not regret. After your time in BKK escape to Hua Hin or Cha AM or that direction along the coast, have some time at the sea, enjoy getting away from the pollution, and

enjoy another part of the country. Many places to go in this beautiful part of the world, go and enjoy all that you can

Stargeezer

• 1 month later...

Never wai first to someone younger than you or who is of lower social status than you; it is bad luck for them. After they wai you first, wai back with your hands lower depending on the age or status difference. If you wai, smile when you do so to show sincerity (real or faked makes no matter). This site has nice photos to illustrate the different levels of wais: http://learnthaiwithmod.com/2013/08/when-and-how-to-wai-properly/

1. Never lose your smile. A smile will defuse almost any situation as the person who loses their smile first, loses face. A smile is your passport to better prices and treatment by locals (including the pretty girls who will believe you are 'jai dee' or 'good heart')

2. Never do any business with someone who approaches you uninvited. 9 out of 10 times they are looking to scam you. Most Thais are exceedingly honest but the bad ones are very bad. Thais have also adopted the word 'discount' so don't be afraid to ask for one and never pay full retail from street vendors. 40% of their original asking price leaves them with a nice profit and you won't look like a fool (in their eyes) for paying the first price asked.

3. When you see something or some behavior that is incomprehensible, remind yourself that This is Thailand (TiT) and Thais don't always do things the way they are done in your home country.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...