Opening a bank account

Can I open one as a non-resident in anticipation of my moving here permanently in the future? If I can what do I need and which bank do you suggest for easy bank to bank transfers from Australia?

Don't know where you are but KasiKorn Bank has always worked for me. (35+ years) If you do not have a work permit, get a Thai person to go with you and vouch for you. You will need a permanent address. If the Thai is a close enough friend, it should not be problem to use their address.

I have read where others have used a hotel address as the required address but I agree you will need an address in Thailand. Another way is to open a joint account with someone else, this is what I did. To do this you require both signatures for any withdrawals.

On what sort of visa do you expect to be residing here; Retirement ? Non-immigrant "B" (employment), Marriage ?

- If Retirement, I seem to recall seeing on here that Bangkok Bank would do this, though there is so guarantee that what worked for someone else in the past will work for you now.

- if Non- Imm. "B" or Marriage, you probably need a letter from the Thai party concerned, and it presumably has to wait at least until you are close to your moving date, if not until you are actually here.

Here in Phuket I have had no problems with the Bangkok Bank branch in Central shopping, also with Kaesikorn in Junkceylon. Note the K-bank will be pushing very hard to have you sign up for the Platinum card for ATM (cost 1000 baht plus stiff annual charge for BS benefits); push back and insist on the white ATM card @ 100 baht. The clerk gets large brownie points so you may need to ask for the manager.

Here in Phuket I have had no problems with the Bangkok Bank branch in Central shopping, also with Kaesikorn in Junkceylon. Note the K-bank will be pushing very hard to have you sign up for the Platinum card for ATM (cost 1000 baht plus stiff annual charge for BS benefits); push back and insist on the white ATM card @ 100 baht. The clerk gets large brownie points so you may need to ask for the manager.

You're not wrong there. The little twerp conned me into paying for the 800THB Platinum Visa atm card. When I asked why he said every bank would charge me for one but didn't say that I could have taken the cheaper one that you mention. The bank did say that without a work permit I would need to buy the annual insurance package for the first year at 2500THB. I also had to deposit 10,000THB but I could withdraw it at anytime. Not sure now whether the work permit thing was a lie.