Cambodian workers to get passports for $4

Lite Beer

Cambodian workers to get passports for $4
The Sunday Nation

Sa Kaew: -- A Cambodian decree slashing the passport fee for would-be migrant workers to only $4 (about Bt120) is expected to lead to an influx of workers from the neighbouring country into Thailand.

Cambodian migrant workers who have just returned to Cambodia yesterday greeted the news with joy, in the hope of crossing back to work in Thailand legally.

Thai immigration officials working in the border province of Sa Kaew said they expected a large number of Cambodians to apply for the low-priced passports so that they could work legally in Thailand.

More than 100,000 mostly illegal migrant workers from Cambodia have left Thailand in a rare exodus over the past week following rumours that the junta was planning a violent crackdown on them. The ruling National Council for Peace and Order has repeatedly dismissed the rumour.

Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen on Friday issued a sub-decree mandating that passports for migrant workers and those studying abroad on scholarship cost only $4 and that the passports be delivered to the applicants within 20 days, the Phnom Penh Post reported.

The usual passport fee for a Cambodian national is $124 (about Bt3,800).

Workers pleased

"Having granted ordinary passports for migrant workers who must go to work abroad legally, the tax will be the state's burden, but the migrant workers must pay $4 for the cost of photographs," the decree says.

Tith Sothea, spokesman for Cambodia's Press and Quick Reaction Unit, said the decision had been made in an effort to "reduce the burden" on workers and students who want to go abroad, the Cambodia Daily reported yesterday.

Cambodian immigration officials in the border town of Poipet said yesterday that many Cambodian workers and vendors had asked them to confirm the report about the cheap passports. Those workers and vendors were obviously pleased with their confirmation, according to the officials.

A 30-year-old Cambodian worker who has just returned from Thailand said yesterday that he was happy to hear about the government's decision to reduce the passport fee. He would apply for his passport and he would come back to work in Thailand soon after he got it. "This time I will work in Thailand legally," he added.

Police Lt-Colonel Benjapol Rodsawat, deputy commander of Sa Kaew Immigration Police, said yesterday that he expected the problem of illegal labour from Cambodia would be reduced if Cambodians could get their passports for only $4 each.

"A lot of Cambodians will apply for the cheap passports to work in Thailand. It's easier for us to deal with workers who enter Thailand legally," he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-22

• Like 2

Now how about Thailand cutting the paperwork and fees for them as well.

And putting in place a reporting requirement for employers, minimum wage to apply.

Don't be surprised to find out that Thailand is supporting these cheapies in some way or other.

Thailand minimum wage and they would not be employed I guess.

I wonder how much the $4 passports will be selling for on the black market.

Edited by Thailand

Hun Sen is reaping the rewards of supporting discontent within the sovereign borders of its richer more powerful neighbours.

I guess every culture has idioms 'don't bite the hand that feeds you' and 'don't poke a sleeping bear'

It's illogical to suggest that legal migrant workers will undermine the Thai labor force. And very nearsighted to consider the affect of this situation is affecting Thailand. I believe the Cambodians will be feeling this loss of income far more keenly, hence the cheap passports.

The Cambodians receive significant regional assistance from Thailand. It's time they see this clearly. Any individuals suggesting they can replace or subsidize this aid will need very deep pockets.

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

2015 Thailand is going to be a nightmarecheesy.gif (for the local workers as they will be legally undercut by cheap legal labour) Karma at its best... som nam na

No idea where you are getting the idea that 2015 will bring in hordes of ASEAN workers when in fact only a small number of professionals will be allowed freedom of movement. Unskilled laborers are not one of them.

AEC 2015 will therefore change nothing.

• Like 1

2015 Thailand is going to be a nightmarecheesy.gif (for the local workers as they will be legally undercut by cheap legal labour) Karma at its best... som nam na

I take it from your comments that you probably don't live here or if you do you don't like Thailand or it's people. So why are you on TV?

......... I guess every culture has idioms 'don't bite the hand that feeds you' and 'don't poke a sleeping bear' ........

"Not biting the hand that feeds you"

"Taking the wind out of the sails"

"Pissing against the wind"

Although those proverbs exist in Thai language,

I'm not so sure, Thai's know what they mean. whistling.gif

My hand get's bitten all the time sad.png

"Don't poke a sleeping bear" Well, I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Most Thais are either eating noodle soup or sleeping all day long,

so no chance they poke anyone. Biting and chewing is more their thing smile.png

Edited by JoeLing

......... I guess every culture has idioms 'don't bite the hand that feeds you' and 'don't poke a sleeping bear' ........

"Not biting the hand that feeds you"

"Taking the wind out of the sails"

"Pissing against the wind"

Although those proverbs exist in Thai language,

I'm not so sure, Thai's know what they mean. whistling.gif

My hand get's bitten all the time sad.png

"Don't poke a sleeping bear" Well, I wouldn't worry too much about that.

so no chance they poke anyone. Biting and chewing is more their thing smile.png

I was talking about the state actually. Not individuals

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I take it from your comments that you probably don't live here or if you do you don't like Thailand or it's people. So why are you on TV?

Ohh bugger,

I didn't know it's a precondition to live in Thailand, to like the place

and to love the Thai people, in order to be a member on this forum?

Well a $4 passport for intended migrants means any one with one crossing over the boarder to Thailand intends to work, so a work visa required.

A revision of the work visa system could be used to ensure the migrants are not exploited, if migrant workers had to have the legal pay they would not be undercutting Thais in the employment market.

Thais dont want to do hard labor. Same as in United States Mexicans are cheap labor for the US and Cambodians are cheap labor for the Thais

Unfortunately, it's not as simple as you may believe. Empirical studies show that vast amounts of migrant workers have a huge negative affect upon age-related earnings and age-related productivity for Thais - the detriment is immensely high, when 68% of today's Thais are self-employed. Contrary to your statement, many Thais, especially the self-employed, complete hard work (I wont use the words 'hard graft' in this instance, for obvious reasons). Heteroscedasiticty may be a new word for some, but is hugely applicable to Thais and their own mundane labour, which many assume they don't want to undertake. Thais not wanting hard labour, especially the poorer, is simply not true.

<snip>

<snip>

Blimey, I must be Thai.

That explains my wife beating, drink driving, nose picking, farang hating, reading avoidance, butt scratching, and total ignorance about everything.

T

<snip>

<snip>

Blimey, I must be Thai.

That explains my wife beating, drink driving, nose picking, farang hating, reading avoidance, butt scratching, and total ignorance about everything.

T

clap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Is she doing that whilst sleeping or eating noodle soup? giggle.gif

<snip>

<snip>

Blimey, I must be Thai.

T

clap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Is she doing that whilst sleeping or eating noodle soup? giggle.gif

Why are you asking a question? Which part of "total ignorance about everything" did you not get?

T