English Indian Curry - Cant Find!

Does anyone know where I can go for a proper, and I mean proper, English Indian Curry in Bangkok. My guess is, only the Brits will understand what I mean by English Indian.... That Balti style, thick sauce, massive chunks of boneless meat served up in a piping hot Balti style bowl with a nan bread the size of your condo.

They are unique to England, I think, as I have tried Indian curries in several S.E.Asian countries but none of the resemble a curry made in England, by Indians.

Oh, how I miss Coventry and Birmingham. The home of English Indian curry.

The curries here are so lame; watery like soup, <deleted> meat, no spicy aroma and as for the nan breads.... dont get me started man.

The best I had in Thailand was in Samui - and that was crap.

Im after that real rich red sauce, very thick with chunks of meat..... Sccoped up using your nan bread, no spoons or forks.

Thats top of my list, anyway. Further down I'm gagging for a real Melton Mowbary style pork pie. Sausage rolls with REAL sausage. Bacon with little fat. Scotch eggs. Cornish pasties.

Actualy, while im on the subject.... English style chinese....That would be nice.

Im ranting. Answers to the Balti question would be appreciated.

Ta.

Does anyone know where I can go for a proper, and I mean proper, English Indian Curry in Bangkok. My guess is, only the Brits will understand what I mean by English Indian.... That Balti style, thick sauce, massive chunks of boneless meat served up in a piping hot Balti style bowl with a nan bread the size of your condo.

They are unique to England, I think, as I have tried Indian curries in several S.E.Asian countries but none of the resemble a curry made in England, by Indians.

Oh, how I miss Coventry and Birmingham. The home of English Indian curry.

The curries here are so lame; watery like soup, <deleted> meat, no spicy aroma and as for the nan breads.... dont get me started man.

The best I had in Thailand was in Samui - and that was crap.

Im after that real rich red sauce, very thick with chunks of meat..... Sccoped up using your nan bread, no spoons or forks.

Thats top of my list, anyway. Further down I'm gagging for a real Melton Mowbary style pork pie. Sausage rolls with REAL sausage. Bacon with little fat. Scotch eggs. Cornish pasties.

Actualy, while im on the subject.... English style chinese....That would be nice.

Im ranting. Answers to the Balti question would be appreciated.

Ta.

try this guy i am sure he can help you out

English food you only dreamed of

In Khon Kaen

Thongsar Mini Mart and Number 1 Bar

Thongsar Mini Mart

99/31 Mooban Pimnchon 2

Moo 9 Tambon Muang Kao

Amphur Muang

Khon Kaen 40,000

Phone: - 043 226253

Mobile: - 09 5413588

Email: [email protected]

We buy direct from

Simple Simon

Wholesale Meat Company

Jomtiem

Thongsar Mini Mart always keeps a small stock of sausages, bacon & pies

Orders placed by Sunday will arrive Khon Kaen by Thursday

A 50% Deposit is required when ordering

If you live out side of Khon Kaen delivery can be arranged at your cost

Prices may change at short notice

We are open weekdays 09.00 Till 16.00 but please phone first to save disappointment

Example (Price list on request)

Pork Sausages 232, Baht per kg

Wiltshire smoked back Bacon 295, Baht per kg

Horseshoe Gammon 275gr 70, Baht each

Steak & Kidney pie 74, Baht each

Pork pie 74, Baht each

Bramley Apple pies twin pack 68, Baht per pack

Virginia ham 250gr 115, Baht per pack

T-Bone steak 350gr 125, Baht each

Lamb chops 550, Baht per kg

Have you tried around the nana plaza area off soi 3 across from the bamboo bar

Real lamb curry, roti and Nan bread

Sorry I cannot be more exact as I have only been the once and don’t know bkk too well

If you go to Pattaya, Bentleys bar on second rd puts on free Indian curry every Saturday night and its proper stuff

I'm in agreement with you BattyBatty - I've had a few tasty curries in Thailand, notably Om Ganesh in Haad Rin, Koh Pha Ngan, and there's a decent one just off Soi 8 Sukhumvit.

But still nothing that matches up to a decent curry in the UK. The curries I've had here have been very mild, nothing with the real kick that a UK-style Vindaloo or Madras has. Poppadums are nearly always practically inedible here, and you never get the nice array of pickles as you get in England. Nan, also, is good sometimes here, such as in the aforementioned Soi 8 place, but nothing yet to beat a nice thick Peshwari nan from the UK.

And by the way, why did you laugh at that comment about "English style Chinese", Ulysses G?

OK, I have mentioned this before, but I do suggest:

RED PEPPER RESTAURANT

(AT REMBRANDT APTS.)

SUKHUMVIT SOI 20

BANGKOK 10110 THAILAND

PHONE: (66-2) 261-7100

EXT. 7540

No baltis, but world class biryanis, and curries so hot and spicy that they will knock your British socks off IF you make it very clear you want that.

Again, definitely not English style, but very good more Indian Indian at very decent prices too.

Guest endure
I'm in agreement with you BattyBatty - I've had a few tasty curries in Thailand, notably Om Ganesh in Haad Rin, Koh Pha Ngan, and there's a decent one just off Soi 8 Sukhumvit.

But still nothing that matches up to a decent curry in the UK. The curries I've had here have been very mild, nothing with the real kick that a UK-style Vindaloo or Madras has.

Then you've not had a serious Thai curry. They're hot enough to melt your face.

But still nothing that matches up to a decent curry in the UK. The curries I've had here have been very mild, nothing with the real kick that a UK-style Vindaloo or Madras has.

Then you've not had a serious Thai curry. They're hot enough to melt your face.

Yes I have, almost daily in fact. I was referring to Indian curries found here in Thailand, those are pretty mild in my experience.

And by the way, why did you laugh at that comment about "English style Chinese", Ulysses G?

It just sounds funny to me because of England's reputation for bland food. I have always seen it described as "European Style".

However, "English" or "European", I would probably like it! :o

Most are tandoori style - haven't had a good balti since Cowley Rd in Oxford!!! :o

Me too - at the Aziz by any chance?

And, UG, I see what you mean but some British style Asian food is far from bland though, especially at the aforementioned Bangladeshi / Indian restaurant called Aziz which is a bit of an institution amongst Oxford residents...

Edited by dantilley

Every Indian I ever talked with says the INDIAN HUT is number 1.

Can't say if they carry the English Curry though. Worth a look.

I like the old, India Cafe across from the Trocedero Hotel on Suriwong.

I used to work in Siphaya Road and the old Cafe India - on Oriental Avenue - was a regular lunchtime venue. It moved to opposite the Trocadero many years ago, I still like the place but it's a bit out of the way for me now.

Their Tandoorie Chicken was excellent and the Chicken Korma would harden your arteries simply looking at it.

There's an Indian restaurant in the Novotel on Soi 33, I've never been in it but they also sell from stalls in Villa, the Emporium and, I think, Siam Paragon to name a few. Not quite like the U.K. Balti style but god thick sauces with a bit or a kick.

Patrick

I'm English and have been to Brick Lane quite a few times also have had a lot of curries at the numerous Indian restaurants in Hong Kong when I lived there and have found two of the best curry houses I have ever been to in Bangkok. Neither of them are balti style but both are very good.

One is Rang Mahal in the Rembrant Hotel on Suk Soi 18 (a previous poster said Red Pepper but I think that is Thai or Chinese)

The other is the Indian Restaurant at Face on Suk 36 (I think) I think the website is www.facebkk.com

Anyway, both of these were excellent but not cheap...you're looking somewhere between Bt1 and 2k per head if you also have a few beers...they even sell Kingfisher in Rang Mahal.

If you go to Rang Mahal I would reccomend the Murgh Tikka and the Lamb (can't remember the name, it's a house speciality, they marinate it in spices and slow cook it for about a day....it is superb)

Rang Mahal is very popular with the local Indian residents of Bkk and they actually do a Sunday Brunch buffet....I've never tried it though as having a ruby for Sunday lunch just does'nt seem right, especially after 10 pints of lager the night before!! :o:D:D

• 1 month later...

I tried for ages to find an 'English' style curry in Thailand. In Pattaya I have tried every Indian restaurant and take-away and none come close.

So, I did some research on the internet, some experimentation in the kitchen, and now make my own. It is a bit of a pain getting all the ingredients, but most spices last ages when bought.

Make a supply of your own curry pastes, then when you make a curry, make a load and freeze it into plastic bags with elastic bands.

If you are in/around Pattaya then self-service curry counter in Carrefour supermarket is O.K. and cheap (25B a plastic bag); (get 2 per person). But for the real 'English' curry: time to visit your own kitchen and get cooking.

Most are tandoori style - haven't had a good balti since Cowley Rd in Oxford!!! :o

Me too - at the Aziz by any chance?

And, UG, I see what you mean but some British style Asian food is far from bland though, especially at the aforementioned Bangladeshi / Indian restaurant called Aziz which is a bit of an institution amongst Oxford residents...

Star of Asia :D

I tried for ages to find an 'English' style curry in Thailand. In Pattaya I have tried every Indian restaurant and take-away and none come close.

So, I did some research on the internet, some experimentation in the kitchen, and now make my own. It is a bit of a pain getting all the ingredients, but most spices last ages when bought.

Make a supply of your own curry pastes, then when you make a curry, make a load and freeze it into plastic bags with elastic bands.

If you are in/around Pattaya then self-service curry counter in Carrefour supermarket is O.K. and cheap (25B a plastic bag); (get 2 per person). But for the real 'English' curry: time to visit your own kitchen and get cooking.

I have really almost given up looking for a good curry house outside UK.

However when in Pattaya has anyone been to the one on the corner between 2nd road and Soi13(???)? - I'm told it's good.

I like to cook the odd curry for myself now and then and I get some of my Indian?Pakistani ingredients from a small Indian shop in South Pattaya.

BTW - Leicester is the curry captial of UK, Stratford road Brum is the home of the Balti. :o

If you want pies, pork pies, scotch eggs, sausages etc, there are plenty of outlets in Pattaya.

Foodland carry some Stilton and Cheddar of varying quality.

Strange how all this stuff including the curries (but not the Cheddar) are traditionally made within a 20 mile radius of Leicester.

This thread is close to "Pizza was invented in New York" thread, though being reasonable English blokes you probably wouldn't go as far as Yanks on pizzas.

Yes, go ahead, tell those Indians around Sukhumwit what a real curry is. They still think they should follow recepies from India, so backward.

What next? English style Chinese, English style French, Engish style Italian, English style Thai...

There's not enough demand for English style Indian curries - it's for English only, right?

Come to think of it, most western food restaurants here are run by expats. Maybe you should ask English Indians/Bangladeshi/Pakistanis to come and set a shop for you in Bangkok. Normally they don't scout Thaivisa for business opportunities, I think.

No-one said anything about "real curry", everyone here is quite clearly talking about English style Indian curries. Whether or not it is authentic to what is found in India / Bangladesh / Pakistan or wherever is irrelevant in this thread - that is not what we're striving for, it is the English versions of Indian sub-continent food.

Sure there's enough demand for English style Indian curries - I've met more British expats out here than just about any other nationality. If there's demand for British style pubs, British style fish and chip shops and the British Club on Silom then I'm sure a British style Indian restaurant would be very successful.

Edited by dantilley

Plus - spoken like a true Johnny foreigner!

the British Curry was developed by British Asians for sale to all Brits in the community. Some of the food is extremely "authentic", but the adaptions have proved very popular as Chicken Tikka Masala is now the number one dish in the UK.

The Pizza on the other hand was taken over in the states where they turned a beautiful Neapolitan delight into a fast food mish-mash. This has never happened to Indian food in UK.

The connection goes back to the days of the Raj.

There is of course also British Chinese food which comes from Cantonese (Hong Kong) cooking. (I'm not a great fan)

As for setting up a shop, I know personally that 2 Brits (Asian) were toying with the idea, and the sooner they go ahead with the project, the better.

Surely the true home of the 'English Curry' is the 'Curry-House Mile' in Rusholme, Manchester. Which is a mile of Indian food restaurants and take-aways (probably over one hundred) that stetch from Central Manchester Eastwards....

But I did read somewhere that most 'Indian' curry houses in England are in fact Bangladeshi.