English Indian Curry - Cant Find!

Surely the true home of the 'English Curry' is the 'Curry-House Mile' in Rusholme, Manchester. Which is a mile of Indian food restaurants and take-aways (probably over one hundred) that stetch from Central Manchester Eastwards....

But I did read somewhere that most 'Indian' curry houses in England are in fact Bangladeshi.

Most towns have at least one road lined with Indian restaurants, and every single town, however small, has a least two or three Indian restaurants.

Bradford is often called the curry capital, and has loads of really good cheap places, Birmingham again has a hugfe choice, but the Balti first became popular in the Stratford rd area. Leicester has the Belgrave Rd (Melton Rd) and has some fantastic vegetarian places.

You can often tell from the menu who is running the place. Indeed I know that in the west midlands many of the staff have origins in what is now Bangladesh, but not necessarily the owners. Bradford has a strong Muslim based range of menus. Leicester you find a lot of Hindu /Gujarati hence the veggie stuff. There are also a lot of very up-market ones in Leicester. Leicester has Muslim, Sihk and Hindu communities so very wide variety of cultures to absorb menus from.

the MSN Local Search F.O.O.D study reveals that the highest density of curry houses in the UK are located in The Midlands with Leicester taking the 'Curry Crown'. For every square mile you can find two curry houses in Leicester and Nottingham with over a third (34%) and a quarter (24%) respectively of all restaurants having a curry theme.

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/press/content/...02/pr03596.mspx

Check out this BBC article

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/eastmidland...rry_chefs.shtml

Edited by wilko

A few comments to make:

Brick Lane in E. London has lots of Bengali restaurants and is popular but the curries can be so-so and I have personally witnessed the poor quality meat they use. I got food poisoning will never eat there again. Also it is kind of like a muslim version of Patpong where touts try to grab hold of you and shout at you across the street.

British Asians (and non-Asians) make very good quality curries on the whole, bearing in mind that the British were in India for 300 years it is fair to say that we probably have a good idea what a curry should taste like.

I hear Indian Hut in BKK is good.

Khanasutra in Phuket Town is excellent (no Balti though)

Thai muslim curries can be quite similar to Indian food. Roti curry for breakfast is a firm favourite of mine.

Never ask an Indian for Bengali or Pakistani dishes, they go mental.

NB. This thread has now made me very hungry for a good curry.

Edited by jimbob

Wilko, don't you find it ironic that English want to import Indians from England to cook curries in Thailand?

I know home food cravings can be very painful, and it doesn't matter if the food is of Indian or Chinese origin. Sorry guys.

As for popularity - Indian restaurants, in Bangkok at least, aim at expat Indians. Thais don't eat Indian, and tourists also don't come to Thailand to eat Indian, so you are talking about a very niche market - home sick English who can't eat any other curry. There are very few locations where there's enough homesick English traffic. Maybe they should introduce curry-girls that people can fine out....

I personally think that Indian food in Thailand is largely disappointing, especially sweets/deserts.

Wilko, don't you find it ironic that English want to import Indians from England to cook curries in Thailand?

I know home food cravings can be very painful, and it doesn't matter if the food is of Indian or Chinese origin. Sorry guys.

As for popularity - Indian restaurants, in Bangkok at least, aim at expat Indians. Thais don't eat Indian, and tourists also don't come to Thailand to eat Indian, so you are talking about a very niche market - home sick English who can't eat any other curry. There are very few locations where there's enough homesick English traffic. Maybe they should introduce curry-girls that people can fine out....

I personally think that Indian food in Thailand is largely disappointing, especially sweets/deserts.

What an extraordinarily badly though out post....you give the impression that you haven't a clue what you talking about...you obviously haven’t eaten British Curry so how do you expect to have an informed opinion on it?

I'm sorry I don't get your "irony" thing...importing Indians???? Why is that ironic? To cook in Thailand? Where do you get that idea from...are you suggesting that the BRITISH or do you mean English are engaging in human trafficking?

Food cravings...hardly....is my diet mostly Thai but I'm a competent cook and can cook just about whatever I like. The point of the earlier posts is that Indian/British (NOT English!) fusion of food is a really successful combination.

As for the rest of your post - utter drivel - just wild generalisation....

Bukharas Indian restaurant on Sukhumvit road (between soi 5 and 7) make very good Indian food and great nan breads.

A good sign that when you walk in will often be greeted by a 'sea of turbans' which shows that its been given the 'nod' by the local Indian community.

Ive been eating here for years and never had a bad curry .... you can use cutlery but staff won't bat an eyelid if you wish to use your hands (most of the Indians eating here will be using their hands).

The only curry for me that falls below par is the Vindaloo which doesnt have enough potato in it for my liking and they add small onions ...

If you wish to eat your food spicy you will have to request it spicy when ordering otherwise your curry will be toned down.

The fish tikka is superb ...........

I always figured the Patak family would make a killing in Thailand with their products.

They have in Aus, not cheap though. :o

It would indeed be nice if maybe TESCOs' or Fodland would try a range, I'm sure they would sell in Bkk and Pattaya, but I suppose they have to go through all the hurdles to get the white label stuck over all the usefull EL info!

Pataks are a Bradford (UK) based company. Unfortunately in Oz they only import a small part of their range. Aparently this is due to the importers only importing what Coles have on their shopping list. There is of course an import duy and/or shipping costs.

Unless Pataks have moved recently they are still in Leigh, Wigan. :D

Leigh..... the only town in England to have subtitles in English, in tv interviews. :o

Y

Whoops!

Yes of course they are ...a freudian slip

and moving them from Lancashire to Yorkshire....don't tell anyone will you?

No more ironic than Yanks banging on about Mexican food in Thailand , ie only USA based Mex food is good , plus India is a ###### sight closer to Los than Yucatan.... :o

No more ironic than Yanks banging on about Mexican food in Thailand , ie only USA based Mex food is good , plus India is a ###### sight closer to Los than Yucatan.... :o

Not the same.

I don't know if there is decent Mexican food in Europe (I suspect there might be in places like Madrid and Paris), but authentic Mexican style or Mexican/American style is just not generally available in Thailand (with a few possible exceptions I haven't tried yet). And the stuff passed off as Mexican food is mostly vile and an insult to Montezuma. Excellent Indian food on the other hand, Indian style Indian food is available at quite a number of places in Thailand, mostly in Bangkok, some in Pattata, etc. And another funny thing is that Brits sometimes act like they are the only farang nationality that enjoys Indian food.

There are over one million Asian Indians in the US for example, and alot of them are running great restaurants, usually serving Indian style Indian food to mostly other Indians. There is a kind of USA style Indian food, that is basically just Indian style Indian food toned down in spice (yuck).

BTW, I tried that Neeroys dive in Pattaya. Do you Brits actually consider that GOOD Brit style Indian food? It was rather awful and I decided not to return. And yes I have tried good Brit style in London, especially like the really spicy baltis.

Edited by Thaiquila

Ironic?

I think you will find most of the Indian cooks here in Thailand come from India or Nepal, not 'imported' from England. And why not? It is a rare bird that can cook genuine Indian food. The Thais can cook it but after a couple of weeks they start doing their Thai thing and before you know it, your 'real Indian' food now has traces of nam pla a snatch of lemon grass and chillies. Indian food is spicy - meaning with a lot of spices - not hot spicy.

As to a 'very niche' market. Not so small really. Tourists and travellers enjoy Indian food all over the world. They get tired or confused about the local foods and they need a little comfort food. To many this is Indian.

Vieng Chan has an Indian, Luang Prabung has an Indian, Malaysia has many, etc etc.

It’s MANY years since I have been there and it will certainly sound strange …….

Mitzu’s Kitchen on Patpong, on the left, a few 10’s of meters before you get to Surawong Road.

They used to do Curry dishes – Beef, Chicken and Shrimp as I recall, which were neither Indian nor Japanese – maybe they would hit the spot?

Patrick

• 1 year later...
I always figured the Patak family would make a killing in Thailand with their products.

They have in Aus, not cheap though. :o

Pataks madras curry sauce is available in the new Villa in pattaya. 215bt a bottle. The vindaloo sauce is only available at Villa Ploenchit. Not perfect, but makes a better curry than any available anywhere in pattaya

Does anyone know where I can go for a proper, and I mean proper, English Indian Curry in Bangkok. My guess is, only the Brits will understand what I mean by English Indian.... That Balti style, thick sauce, massive chunks of boneless meat served up in a piping hot Balti style bowl with a nan bread the size of your condo.

They are unique to England, I think, as I have tried Indian curries in several S.E.Asian countries but none of the resemble a curry made in England, by Indians.

Oh, how I miss Coventry and Birmingham. The home of English Indian curry.

The curries here are so lame; watery like soup, <deleted> meat, no spicy aroma and as for the nan breads.... dont get me started man.

The best I had in Thailand was in Samui - and that was crap.

Im after that real rich red sauce, very thick with chunks of meat..... Sccoped up using your nan bread, no spoons or forks.

Thats top of my list, anyway. Further down I'm gagging for a real Melton Mowbary style pork pie. Sausage rolls with REAL sausage. Bacon with little fat. Scotch eggs. Cornish pasties.

Actualy, while im on the subject.... English style chinese....That would be nice.

Im ranting. Answers to the Balti question would be appreciated.

Ta.

contact the advertiser EUROGOURMET above.

Vindaloo Curry, british style

Melton mowbray pork pies

and many others which are put into Villa Soi 33 and in Phuket as well at the Deli

:o