Anyone know if this legit?

Well, so far as the director's qualifications, Argosy is a degree mill and there is no such thing as a multi-level ESL credential that is the equivalent of an MA degree. It sounds like some secondary school qualification. California colleges require an MA in English, TESOL, Linguistics or a closely related degree plus an ESL certificate for their TESOL instructors.

Mystery solved! After some research, I discovered that a multiple- subjects credential is what teachers in California must get to qualify them to teach in a California elementary school or high school. It requires a considerable amount of coursework beyond a Bachelor's degree but is not equivalent to an MA except, perhaps, in the mind of the person who has worked hard to get his elementary or high school teaching credential.

Well, so far as the director's qualifications, Argosy is a degree mill and there is no such thing as a multi-level ESL credential that is the equivalent of an MA degree. It sounds like some secondary school qualification. California colleges require an MA in English, TESOL, Linguistics or a closely related degree plus an ESL certificate for their TESOL instructors.

What are you talking about?

The degree is fine as long as you don't actually try to use it or have it recognized.

Do you have something to support this?

Well Thongsook college is on that ministry website BUT Thongsook international college is not!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

The degree is fine as long as you don't actually try to use it or have it recognized.

Well Thongsook college is on that ministry website BUT Thongsook international college is not!

Looking at their website, there's the sign of the TCT next to the International bla, bla. Wouldn't you call that cheating customers and the TCT?

I only see 'Thongsook College', nothing about 'Thongsook International College'. Perhaps you are looking somewhere other than the link above.

• Like 1

Looking at their website, there's the sign of the TCT next to the International bla, bla. Wouldn't you call that cheating customers and the TCT?

What is TCT? I tried to google it, but everything I could find is in Thai.

The million ฿ question is....

Will it get me a 5 year teachers license when I've completed the course?

Answers may include YES or No then the reason why.

Speculation is ok as long as it is informed and not just a bash at the school etc.

If the answer is YES - Great, please show some documentation where this is accepted.

If the answer is NO

The half a million ฿ question is...

What doors will it open for me?

Thanks in advance wai.gif

Edited by jambco984

Speculation is ok as long as it is informed and not just a bash at the school etc.

If the answer is YES - Great, please show some documentation where this is accepted.

If the answer is NO

IF it's a legit BA, then you should be able to get any teaching job. You may be required by some schools to have a TEFL as well.

Last I heard, you are required to have a teaching degree OR pass the culture course to get the teachers license. But, as with many things here, this may have changed. I know many teachers who have neither one.

If the answer is NO

It won't give you a teacher's license for five years at all. Let's say you haven't got a degree and you'd go for this one, you'd be okay to teach for four years. ( Two provisional TL both good for two years of teaching, plus a Thai culture and ethic course for the second round)

If the answer is NO

It won't give you a teacher's license for five years at all. Let's say you haven't got a degree and you'd go for this one, you'd be okay to teach for four years. ( Two provisional TL both good for two years of teaching, plus a Thai culture and ethic course for the second round)

How do you figure only 4 years? From what you are saying, it seems nobody would be able to teach for more than 4 years with any credentials other than, possibly, a teaching degree.

It will not get you a teaching license because it is NOT a Bachelor degree in education. It's just a normal bachelors degree as 'sirchai ' said.

Okie, so a teaching license is not necessary to teach here? Because of all the teachers I know, only 1 has a degree in education.

Also, I do have a friend who received her teaching license and she has a science degree, not an education degree. So perhaps this information about needing a degree in education is incorrect.

It will not get you a teaching license because it is NOT a Bachelor degree in education. It's just a normal bachelors degree as 'sirchai ' said.

Okie, so a teaching license is not necessary to teach here? Because of all the teachers I know, only 1 has a degree in education.

Also, I do have a friend who received her teaching license and she has a science degree, not an education degree. So perhaps this information about needing a degree in education is incorrect.

Nope. It's correct BUT there used to be options. ie have a normal bachelors degree and to pass 4 tests. To have been teaching prior to 2003 (maybe 2005. Can't remember) and be grandfathered in to a teachers license. You can teach with a 2 year licence waiver (maybe what your friend has) the teachers license is a gold color card approx size of a credit card.

Bear in mind this is just schools under the Ministry of Education and does not include University's and private language schools

You'll need at least a "provisional teacher's license" good for two years. Then you''ll have to have a Thai culture awareness and teaching ethics course for the second provisional, which gives you another two years of teaching.

But you have to have a BA in any field to get started.

But it's highly possible that you might have to have such a Thai culture course (please see TCT website) when you start teaching now.

There seem to be changes going on soon,as there's a massive teacher shortage, but until now, a degree in education is needed to get you a permanent TL.Sorry, for five years.

If the answer is NO

How do you figure only 4 years? From what you are saying, it seems nobody would be able to teach for more than 4 years with any credentials other than, possibly, a teaching degree.

It's 4 years because at the moment TCT (krusapha) are saying that you can only have two 2 year waivers (with a 3rd maybe IF you can prove you have improved you teaching skills. Seminars etc.

Currently they haven't actually put back into place a way of getting the correct degree.. testing etc.. it is a typical Thai <deleted> up!

Nope. It's correct BUT there used to be options. ie have a normal bachelors degree and to pass 4 tests. To have been teaching prior to 2003 (maybe 2005. Can't remember) and be grandfathered in to a teachers license. You can teach with a 2 year licence waiver (maybe what your friend has) the teachers license is a gold color card approx size of a credit card.

Bear in mind this is just schools under the Ministry of Education and does not include University's and private language schools

Sorry, seems that we posted almost at the same time.Those who'd started teaching in 2004 and before are "grandfathered." I started in May 2005.

Sorry if I am being dense here. But it sounds like it is being said that, without a teaching degree, nobody can teach for more than 4 or 6 years. This does not seem to be true as these rules came out 4 years ago, and nobody I know seems to be in danger of losing their ability to teach. With or without a culture course.

Sorry if I am being dense here. But it sounds like it is being said that, without a teaching degree, nobody can teach for more than 4 or 6 years. This does not seem to be true as these rules came out 4 years ago, and nobody I know seems to be in danger of losing their ability to teach. With or without a culture course.

Fella.. we are telling you the rules. If you don't believe, up to you. This is Thailand. It is what it is!

I am on my 2nd waiver .. TCT (krusapha) website shows me on my 1st. That's how inefficient they are.. I have also passed test 1 and 2 before they postponed / canceled the tests. At this present moment there does not seem to be any tests or alternative methods of upgrading your existing degree to ED status .. it is a wait and see game.

Check this site. thailandteaching.asia/teacher-licensing-tct/44358-waiver-updates-2014-a.html//www.thailandteaching.asia/teacher-licensing-tct/44358-waiver-updates-2014-a.html

Edited by Scott
  • Like 1

Fella.. we are telling you the rules. If you don't believe, up to you. This is Thailand. It is what it is!

I am on my 2nd waiver .. TCT (krusapha) website shows me on my 1st. That's how inefficient they are.. I have also passed test 1 and 2 before they postponed / canceled the tests. At this present moment there does not seem to be any tests or alternative methods of upgrading your existing degree to ED status .. it is a wait and see game.

Check this site. http://www.thailandteaching.asia/teacher-licensing-tct/44358-waiver-updates-2014-a.html

Yes, I understand the 'this is Thailand' thing. I've been experiencing it for 10 years.

The confusion is just that I was not clear on if you were saying that, without an education degree, you can only teach for 4 years. Which looks like is the case. But, for whatever reasons, it is not actually being done.

Okay, before things get too out of hand, I better post something here.

Thongsook College is an Institute of higher education registered with the Ministry of Education on the Council of Higher Education in Thailand. This means the degrees completed at Thongsook College will be recognized as legitimate degrees not only in Thailand but around the world. This is by international agreement. Students that graduate from Thai universities are able to use those degrees to enter graduate schools in the US, UK and around the world. This one is no different.

The degree itself was submitted to the Ministry of education and received it stamp approving it as a legitimate degree. You can see that stamp on the website.

Okay, have we covered most of the snarky posts yet?

Students of our program have received waivers from the TCT allowing them to continue work as they pursue this degree.

We are only promising that this degree will be recognized as a degree by the TCT. However we are cautiously optimistic that the degree will actually allow graduates to receive a teacher's license. Because, while it is not a B.Ed, it has 90 credits within the major of teaching English to speakers of other languages. Unfortunately, our first graduates will not complete the program for another year. And even then, the TCT have a habit of changing their minds. I don't like to make promises I can't keep and those I can't control.

If anyone has any legitimate questions they can PM me. For all the snarks, can't you find a better hobby?

Edited by brucetefl
  • Like 2

Thanks for your response. It seems fair enough.

So about this teachers license. If they should ever follow through with the requirement to have an education degree to get a teachers license, does that mean ANYONE without a teaching degree would be in danger of losing their jobs?

well it sounds like you want to put things into some evil intent. I think I was quite clear. We don't know if it will be recognized as the equivalent of a bachelor's degree in education. We just guarantee it's recognized as a degree.anything else would be a bonus.

• Like 2