Thongsook College

hi guys, are any of you familiar with this course. its over 3 years with most of it being online but 3 months of the year you need to attend the uni. its very affordable and you get a degree in 3 years while working.

seems too good to be true and with the amount of courses and scams here in los, i would like to hear from someone who is currently doing this degree or someone who knows a little bit more about it. i want to get legit and this seems to be the way without leaving thailand.

thanks for your input.

regards.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To coin a phrase from my navy days and the jollies we had on runs ashore, " I wouldn't touch it with yours let alone mine.". Check out the Facebook page regarding a featured programme leader then check out the rest of the facts.

I think this bit (from the website) should ring a few warning bells:

"Thongsook College International is currently seeking CHE approval for this program and will inform applicants when they are fully approved by the MOE. "

I wouldn't touch any programme that hasn't already been formally approved by the national authorities.

I think this bit (from the website) should ring a few warning bells:

"Thongsook College International is currently seeking CHE approval for this program and will inform applicants when they are fully approved by the MOE. "

I wouldn't touch any programme that hasn't already been formally approved by the national authorities.

and under the collaborations page...church of jesus christ of latter day saints...mormons

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking at this program for several months now but I, like you, want more info before I sign up for anything. I've emailed the director several times and they always reply very quickly. The program is listed on two (reputable? idk, I'm new to TEFL/TESOL) sites aside from their website that I have found (actually how I found out about the program:

www dot tefllife dot com / degree

www dot teflinternational dot com / ba_tesol_job_posting dot html

**had to type 'dot' and erase the 'www' because it wouldn't let me post the message with the urls in it =/

**also had to add a bunch of spaces so erase those too... so picky

As for the message:

"Thongsook College International is currently seeking CHE approval for this program and will inform applicants when they are fully approved by the MOE. This site has been developed as a means of understanding the feasibility of this program."

When I emailed them Bruce Veldhuisen, Director of International Programs at Thongsook, said:

"We hope that by March our program is fully operational."

So, I plan on emailing again end of March/ early April for more concrete details. And they supposedly ran, or at least planned to run, the program last year (since the start dates on the website still say "START DATE: 4 June, 2011 (Next start date 1 October 2011)" )

I have also emailed the tefllife dot com people about the new start dates and more information and they said "As soon as we have a confirmed start date I'm sure we'll have a plethora of information to dump on you!"

I just recently found out that Bruce Veldhuisen is also the Founder and Chief Executive Officer of TEFL International which does somewhat set my mind at ease about the accreditation of the website.

So, thats my tid bit on the whole scenario. Now, I just want to find someone that actually started the program last year.

Edited by WandSouj

so... I'm getting mixed messages about him via Google... some say he's horrible, some say he's not.... most of the negative stuff I'm seeing is from several years ago but still.

-.- guess I'll be doing a lot more research

Edit: still looking up stuff... urgh I had really been planning on this project working out but lots of people are saying Bruce V's programs in Thailand are all scams.... T_T

so... can anyone direct me to real, trustworthy TEFL/TESOL sites?

Edited by WandSouj

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A post which violates this rule has been removed:

6) Not to post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.Defamation is the issuance of a false statement about another person, which causes that person to suffer harm. Libel involves the making of defamatory statements in a printed or fixed medium, such as a magazine or newspaper.

For legal reasons, 'name and shame' posts are not permitted.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a site I found every interesting:

http://tefllife.force.com/

I would believe this info a lot more than a few crazies on the internet.

so... I'm getting mixed messages about him via Google... some say he's horrible, some say he's not.... most of the negative stuff I'm seeing is from several years ago but still.

-.- guess I'll be doing a lot more research

Edit: still looking up stuff... urgh I had really been planning on this project working out but lots of people are saying Bruce V's programs in Thailand are all scams.... T_T

so... can anyone direct me to real, trustworthy TEFL/TESOL sites?

I would believe this info a lot more than a few crazies on the internet.

Jeeeeezzzz, even more promotion.

The program seems to have been approved now and is scheduled to begin in June.

You seem to be well informed. Perhaps you or your associates can anwer the questions below.

How does this degree compare with US university degrees?

These degrees, based upon the Thailand Commission of Higher Education, has less General Education credit hours (30) and more hours within the major (90+)

http://thongsookinte...rograms/63.html

1. What is the Thailand Commission of Higher Education? The Thai Ministry of Education knows in regards to higher education only The Office of the Higher Education Commission.
  2. Where can interested applicants find the curriculum, course outline, the credits plan and the semester plan? Applicants would like to know when and what they are going to study.
  3. Where on the website is explicitly mentioned that offered BA in TESOL is accredited by The Office of the Higher Education Commission?
  4. Finally. What type of degree does one get after 3 years?

After three years you have a TESOL Certificate from TEFL International, a TEYL certificate from TEFL International and a degree TESOL, from Thongsook College.

Thanks for your time.

Edited by aidenai

I do see that the program is 120 credits which is the same amount as a US university. And they do also say there is not much vacation time. Seems about the same as a western university. I tried asking about the class list but no answer yet.

I just received this.

Thongsook College

Bachelor of Arts in TESOL

Course List

110 201 3 (2-2-6)

Introduction to Linguistics

110202 TESOL 3 (2-2-3)

Introduction to TESOL

110203 3 (3-0-6)

Phonology

110204 3 (3-0-6)

English Grammar

120205 3 (3-0-6)

Classroom Management

120206 3 (3-0-3)

Sociolinguistics

120207 3 (3-0-3)

TESOL Methods and Materials

120208 3 (3-0-6)

Second Language Testing and Research Methods

120209 3 (3-0-6)

Language Acquisition

120210 3 (3-0-6)

TESOL Vocabulary

<a name="TESOL426">120211 3 (3-0-3)

Materials Development

130212 3 (3-0-6)

Teaching Listening and Speaking

130213 3 (3-0-6)

Teaching Reading

130214 3 (3-0-6)

Teaching Writing

(F) Principles, procedures and materials for teaching English writing skills to speakers of other languages.

141410 24 (24-200-0)

Student Teaching

130404 6 (6-0-6)

Language Acquisition Research

130406 6 (6-0-6)

Language: Phonology, Morphology and Syntax

140408 6 (6-0-6)

Methodology Overview

114-100 3(3-0-6)

Science and Environment

114-101 3(3-0-6)

Introduction to Statistics

114-103 3(3-0-6)

Introduction to Information Technology

112-104 3(3-0-6)

Law and Society

112-109 3 (3-0-6)

The Philosophy of Sufficiency Economy

111-100 3(3-0-6)

Morals and Life

111-102 3(3-0-6)

Eastern and Western Civilization

113-100 3(3-0-6)

Business Thai

113-102 3(3-1-4)

English 1

113-103 3(3-1-4)

English 2

Interesting, are you in Thailand at the moment? I will be going there for a few weeks in July/August and am planning to go to Thongsook College and see if there is someone i can speak to about it in person.

A post with an email address has been edited out. Emails are not allowed on the open forum. If need be you can send them to interested parties by PM.

Forum rule:

13) Not to post email addresses in posts due to potential spam problems.

The forum rules don't permit directing posters to other forums. For informational purposes, this is often overlooked, but for discussion purposes, please don't direct people to another forum.

Edited by Scott
note added

hi guys, got this email today from Bruce, Seems this course is up and running.

your thoughts please.

"Yes this thing is HAPPENING.

You are now officially accepted onto the BA TESOL at Thongsook College. To confirm your place you only need to make a deposit of 15,000 baht. You can pay by credit card or by bank transfer here in Thailand. Please let me know which method you would like to use.

If you need an EDU visa please Email me and, if you have not already, send me a scanned copy of your passport.

We will have an orientation at Thongsook College that will begin at 10 am on 2 June. Please confirm that you can attend."

Bruce Veldhuisen

It looks good.

I saw this about 7 months ago however it said:

"Thongsook College International is currently seeking CHE approval for this program

and will inform applicants when they are fully approved by the MOE. "

Now it would "seem" they have the approval.

I am going to be looking into the classes starting in October.

Yes it will be a 3 year commitment, but you would end with...

1) A True BA degree in TESOL

2) 120 hr TEFL Cert.

3) Young learners extension added

4) 3 years documented teaching exp.

I would say after this the world would be your oyster as far as teaching english.

Keep us posted !

Where's the confirmation that it's accedited

It looks good.

"Thongsook College International is currently seeking CHE approval for this program

2) 120 hr TEFL Cert.

I would say after this the world would be your oyster as far as teaching english.

Keep us posted !

Don't get too excited.

Is the degree worth anything in the eyes of the Thai Ministry of Education?

Sure the college is accredited. But is it's new 'International program' accredited also? The BA in TESOL being it's only course.

I'd wait and see a bit first. If they get the thumbs up from the MOE then I'm sure the course will be full all the time.

Edited by justaphase

Where's the confirmation that it's accedited

It looks good.

2) 120 hr TEFL Cert.

Keep us posted !

Don't get too excited.

Is the degree worth anything in the eyes of the Thai Ministry of Education?

Sure the college is accredited. But is it's new 'International program' accredited also? The BA in TESOL being it's only course.

I'd wait and see a bit first. If they get the thumbs up from the MOE then I'm sure the course will be full all the time.

recieved this email from Bruce :

Yes. We fully comply with the laws.

BV

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 2:19 PM, john kelly <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Bruce,

does the course
have CHE approval , and is it approved by the Thai MoE.

I asked if it was CHE approved and approved by the Thai MOE and he answered in the afirmative. Thoughts please.