Alternative To Excess Baggage - 2014

There was a discussion about this back in 2007 but it's closed now, so here we go again.

If you have more baggage than your airline allows you can pay excess baggage fee up to a certain amount for the extra baggage but it's expensive and there's a limit.

In the past I've used a method commonly known as "unaccompanied baggage". I see in older threads that this is sometimes understood to be baggage-storage, but in this thread it means checking in your excess luggage with another airline that you dont fly with. I've done this in the past with China Air, and it was half the price of the carrier I was flying with at the time.

The question is, does anyone have personal experience with this - which carriers are likely to offer this service from Bangkok to Europe?

There's a company offering to broker this service, aptly called "Unaccompanied Baggage Service" with a website www.ptcargo.com and an email address [email protected], but I think they sound relatively expensive. I calculated around 8,300 baht for a 25 kg bag (268 baht/kg + a handling fee of 1605 baht + possibly some more fees they were a bit vague about).

For about the same price I could send my stuff with UPS, and they're certainly not cheap.

http://www.thailandpost.com/ has a shipping calculator showing prices from 1500-8500 for a 20 kg parcel, thought 1500 sounds unreal, wonder if anyone know the facts?

I sent a parcel surface mail from BKK to the USA , I think it was 12 to 15kg

it took 10 weeks to get here, I have sent 3 other surface mail packages and they have been 8 to 11 weeks,

I think its just when the next Post office container is leaving and if you get it a few weeks quicker ,if your package missed it you have to wait

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I remember someone was posting about the unaccompanied baggage option before, apparently there's a window/office at the 4th floor at Suvarnabhumi at the Intl. departure area, close to gate 8. I have no idea if that's been closed, or if that's completely outdated, it would be really great to read if someone knows more updated info on this. Otherwise, yes Seven Seas seems to be ok priced for international shipping, thanks for posting!