What are the rules about bringing electronics into Thailand at the airport?

I have a friend in the U.S. now who is going to bring back some small recording equipment for his personal use. The costs for the items new is about double here in Thailand (USD $600 vs USD $300). One item is an audio interface (about the size of a jewelry box) and the other is a microphone. Both are boxed and new. How to bring this in without any b.s. duties/taxes cost? If he is bringing for his own personal use, is there any reason he may have to pay customs? Do you have to "declare" this on the customs form? Best to carry on or pack in luggage? Thanks

Take the things out of the boxes. They sometimes scan arriving luggage as you are leaving the arrival area. When they see boxes inside luggage they sometimes think you are bringing stuff in to resell. Happened to me about three years ago arriving on a Korean Air flight about 10 p.m.

A number of years ago I brought in personal used electrical goods from overseas - a lot of them had actually been bought in Thailand - as I was returning from living in another country for a couple of years.

Customs wanted to charge full duty on all of the items despite being told they were used personal effects. Ended up giving under the table money as the duty was so high. I admit there was a lot of stuff - stereo systems, computers, electric kitchen equipment etc. It was obvious it was personal stuff.

Just be careful would be my caution to you - don't declare it and if they stop you just say you weren't aware it needed to be declared.

That should not be a worry at all...

My luggage was checked 3 years ago, the scanner showed many packages of same size.

It was an 8 month supply of Lavazza coffee...

I jokingly said: 'I spend lots of money in Thailand, but I cannot find good coffee for my 8 month stay".

He grinned and replied, "Ok, for this time".

I still bring the same quantity, but never got checked again...hehehe

When i first arrived, i brought a Shure radio mic, a guitar radio unit and a small DAT recorder mixer in my l (carry on ) luggage along with a laptop. I had to put it all through the scanner and it was fine, had no problems. This was 3 years ago now ( and i flew from the UK) I don't know if security has changed much since then ( I doubt it)

Like they say, take out of the boxes. You have truth on your side if it is for you. Last time I came I brought two guitars, small amp, usb M-audio interface, etc. This was all for me. Most customs guys probably get a sense for if you are trying to run something not kosher by them. Few times they have asked to look at guitars I say great, want to see if in one piece, then play them a little tune. Good laughs, get outta here.

I brought a music keyboard worth $5000 and nobody even asked me about this huge 1.6 meter long plywood box.Yes , I have a receipt that i bought it 1 year ago for my use.

Now I am going to Europe and I hope it will be still easy.

Have posted this info previously, but it seems appropriate here as well.

Came through November 2013 with 2 like new laptops, 3 mobiles (2 in suitcase, 1 in my pocket, electric toothbrush, PC speakers and a 2 month old 3 tier steamer for veggies.

Had no problems/no questions asked in UK or Thailand.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Take the things out of the boxes. They sometimes scan arriving luggage as you are leaving the arrival area. When they see boxes inside luggage they sometimes think you are bringing stuff in to resell. Happened to me about three years ago arriving on a Korean Air flight about 10 p.m.

Good advice, take them out of the original packaging, though you can keep them in the boxes for protection.

Keep the warranty/instruction paperwork separately.

Basically, only to show that they are 'used' and not for re-sale.

I do this too. But I collapse the boxes and put in the side pocket of the suitcase (looks like paper on the scanner then) - never had a problem. Safer in the checked luggage than hand luggage though, saw a guy have real problems transiting through Indian on way back from Bangkok with a tattoo gun (no needles).

Well if you go to Thai customs website you will get all required information you seek. The Vit C thing I found a great product here it is chewable comes in a tube container Get in any drug store Boots carries them.

I brought through in my check in luggage:-

A portable recording studio,

A guitar synthesizer Unit

5 guitar pedals

A condenser microphone (in its aluminium box)

Small 5 watt amplifier

And miles of cables-adapters etc...

I took them all out of their boxes, flattened the boxes, and

Put them in another suitcase, all the items were used and very expensive.

Nothing at all was said about it…

On a separate occasion I brought in 5 guitars (used) all in their own cases.

I was stopped at customs and asked if they were new (Told them no), and they asked

If I was going to take them back to my home country at a future date

(I.e. not sell them) I told them yes I was.

They didn’t even open the cases to look….again the guitars were worth many

Thousands of pounds.

Have A Nice Day.

• 1 year later...

What about iphone 6s, is it ok to have as a unopened gift or should I open the box before I arrive?

On the outside chance that Customs might discover it, an unopened iPhone 6S might be a problem. A lot of these are sold grey market here, and it would also be well over any duty free exemption.

If you want to keep the box, maybe put the box in the checked bags and carry the iPhone with you in your carry on.

whistling.gif Many years ago I was staying in small guesthouse off Sukhimvit Road.

The manager, s Thai-Chinese friend of mine had Prime Rib on his menu.

He used to get it from Singapore, because he didn't like the Thai Prime Rib quality.

I was doing a trip to Singapore, so he promised me a Prime Rib meal with all the trimmings for two people if I agreed to pick up the meat and carry it back for him.

So I brought it back through airport customs.....all 20 Kilos of wrapped Prime Rib.

I was going to carry it through the Red line on arrival, but the customs took one look at it, asked me if it was for personal use.

I said it was and he told me to take it through the green line instead.