Balloon Chasing

snottgoblin

<Snip!> We have a Christmas dinner every year at a friends place, for us local foreign people. One of our American friends, who is well know for his stinginess, turned up with a bowl of semolina, as his way of paying for the dinner. We all actually throw in 300 baht towards all the foods, and it goes a long way. He couldn't understand why his offer of a bowl of semolina was seen as a joke, although anyone who has been to school in the UK would remember the horrors of school dinners.

From a Pommie ****er

Mate i remember the school lunches back in England,my particular horror was the beef stew,which seemed to be 80% fat,we used to keep an empty crisp packet in our blazer pocket's to deposit this into,and later discard,and i concurr on the Semolina,looked tasted and has the same texture as wall paper paste.

Did you also have the green custard that they used to put on biscuits?

I used to supply that myself after gagging on the beef and semolina.

• Like 1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My friend has a christmas party every year,food is supplied,but it is bring your own beer,one of the local expat's who is well known for his stingy ways,turned up lugging a box of Leo,he refused all offers to decant his bottles into a large esky holding the ice,it was then by chance noted the box contained 2 bottles,it was pointed out to him,one was expected to bring a 'box of beer',not a 'beer box',realising his plan had been thwarted,he became sullen and unresponsive and left shortly after,no doubt gutted that he would not be drinking free leo at someone else's expense,he is the same down the local bar,usually nursing a bottle of water for hours,but if some one has a birthday and put's on a free keg,he gulps down the beer at a ferocious rate.

He's world class!

He wouldn't be out of place in Scotland.

• Like 1

My friend has a christmas party every year,food is supplied,but it is bring your own beer,one of the local expat's who is well known for his stingy ways,turned up lugging a box of Leo,he refused all offers to decant his bottles into a large esky holding the ice,it was then by chance noted the box contained 2 bottles,it was pointed out to him,one was expected to bring a 'box of beer',not a 'beer box',realising his plan had been thwarted,he became sullen and unresponsive and left shortly after,no doubt gutted that he would not be drinking free leo at someone else's expense,he is the same down the local bar,usually nursing a bottle of water for hours,but if some one has a birthday and put's on a free keg,he gulps down the beer at a ferocious rate.

He's world class!

on Sunday's our local bar has a free meal for regulars,he is there on the dot,nursing his bottle of water,but i have noticed lately that his portions are seeming to diminish with each visit,usually it it's a pork loin steak,and the french fries are placed in communal bowls along the table,when he saw he had a small loin steak the other week he promptly loaded 2 bowls of french fries on top,another chap bring's bread and again this is in bowls along the table ,he emptied one,and hoed into the food,soon as he was finished he was out of there ,as he got on his motor sai two pieces of bread fell from his short's pocket,not batting an eyelid he picked them up and was off,he is not short of a bob and now i know why,so Smokie yes ,he is world class.

He's world class!

He wouldn't be out of place in Scotland.

Not Scottish,but on a country from the same kind of latitude,at least the south i think,begin's withN,has a huge pension,but ask to borrow 3 baht to go to the hung nam,he pretends not to hear you,or "i don't have that kind of money's"

Not much response to this topic must be a lot of TV balloon chasers out there.

I think they are busy in the Thai Visa Lounge Bar opening thread, seems to have got a fair few new balloon chasers active

They're probably starving themselves until July 4th. Independence Day with the American Embassy then over to TV lounge. Enough food for a month.

• Like 1

Not much response to this topic must be a lot of TV balloon chasers out there.

I think they are busy in the Thai Visa Lounge Bar opening thread, seems to have got a fair few new balloon chasers active

They're probably starving themselves until July 4th. Independence Day with the American Embassy then over to TV lounge. Enough food for a month.

Yeah, they'll be taking a 7/11 bag with them as well for some take out

The Christmas party the year before,he was discovered with several tupperware containers,hidden inside a long overcoat,claiming the cold season had hit him hard[it was around 30c],any way,his wife brought him plate after plate of food ,which he went to eat,down in the garden,my pal who was throwing the party,was patrolling for empty bottles,when he chanced upon the chap,secreted behind a trellis,shovelling food madly from his plate to the tupperware,hung from what appeared to be specially constructed pocket's within the coat,challenged he pleaded the food was for his sick dog,again another early exit from the party,but he has no shame,he returns every year,we have discussed if he should be frisked down this year and his beer box examined before he is allowed entry.

• Like 1

The thing is most balloon chasers are not impoverished English teachers they are usually the miserable late 50s/60s bastardos.

By reading your comments, you seem to be a very nice person. Can we be friends ?

Just put me on your friends list. There's nothing wrong with living on a budget but these clowns deserve a good kicking. In the nicest possible way of course.

• Like 1

He threw a party himself,a very few lads,went,it was byo everything,he supplied 2 bowls of peanut's,after about twenty minutes the fire alarm went off,he herded everyone outside the property and locked the gate,donning fire retardant gear,he vowed to "fight the hell flames,gasses"he proclaimed,after an hour or so we all dispersed,the next day he claimed a gas explosion in the kitchen,and fire,all the food everyone had brought with them was gone,as well as his back cooking area,however upon inspection from the road with binoculars everything the next day appeared normal,some logs,were still smouldering behind the house the ruse he had used to make out there was a fire,then,focusing in ,we noted he was gorging himself on numerous dishes,which our wives had supplied for the party the day before,we never even got the plate's back,he claimed they had simply melted in the non exsistent inferno,we call him Walter mitty scrooge.

Bloke on my estate in Korat, tightest guy you could ever imagine!!

• He's been caught grabbing handfuls of food from normal Thai peoples plates when they have gone to the toilet at the local bar/restaurant..
  • He claimed free disaster relief food from a charity foundation tent on a nearby estate when it was flooded out, even though his home was far from the affected area.
  • Some idiot decided to blow a lot of money on a face saving huge party in the estate and they had many barrels of free beer, he emptied the water bottles, and filled them up with beer from the glasses which were served to him, so that when the free beer supply ran dry - he would have an emergency reserve!

I hate people like this who just take the P###

A bar owner had a great solution Pattaya, he would of course notice the balloon chasers arrive every time he put on a spread (and they were good spreads too)... They would sit nursing their Soda Waters.. He waited for them to go up for the first serving of food and promptly put a slip in their bill pots saying Buffet "200 Baht" - Never seen again!!!

Edited by Satcommlee
  • Like 2

One our local balloon chasers other tricks it eat 3/4 of a meal and then send it back as not up to standard. He got a number of free meals out of this, until a few of the local resteraunt caught on to it. He also asks for "staff water".

He threw a party himself,a very few lads,went,it was byo everything,he supplied 2 bowls of peanut's,after about twenty minutes the fire alarm went off,he herded everyone outside the property and locked the gate,donning fire retardant gear,he vowed to "fight the hell flames,gasses"he proclaimed,after an hour or so we all dispersed,the next day he claimed a gas explosion in the kitchen,and fire,all the food everyone had brought with them was gone,as well as his back cooking area,however upon inspection from the road with binoculars everything the next day appeared normal,some logs,were still smouldering behind the house the ruse he had used to make out there was a fire,then,focusing in ,we noted he was gorging himself on numerous dishes,which our wives had supplied for the party the day before,we never even got the plate's back,he claimed they had simply melted in the non exsistent inferno,we call him Walter mitty scrooge.

That's good planning,

Some have made a full time living out of it. They drive new cars and load up their tupperware containers with enough food for a week. Sometimes they get embarrassed into buying a bottle of water which breaks their hearts.

These would be the same people who steal the toilet paper out of the toilets in the malls so they dont have buy bog roll for their "houses " and they are in the mall so they dont have to switch the aircon on in their "rooms"

And they also steal the small packs of sauce from the fast food restaurants so they don't have to buy any

Yeah, and they will sit in a coffee shop, buy drink and spend all day surfing the internet.

You mean buy 1 drink, then spend all day enjoying the air con and free internet. Sounds just like my BIL, he does that every saturday!

"Sounds just like my BIL"?

• Like 1

That's good planning,

I must admit ,mate,he is very cunning,sometimes affecting a limp,and using make up,to make out he has injuries,so we will feel sorry for him,the local bar owner has barred him for the sunday feed,but i have no doubt he will pull something out of the hat,to get in ,maybe even buying a beer.

Given the amount of people on this forum, I'm surprised there are not more stories of balloon chasing exploits.

Personally i have never witnessed it. The only 1s i have seen were the individuals not paying their rounds of drink at a table by suddenly slowing down their speed of drinking.

Given the amount of people on this forum, I'm surprised there are not more stories of balloon chasing exploits.

There are mate,but they don't like to admit to it,i know a bloke that served up day old fried crickets,as a snack,the local cat had pissed on em,he said it was fish sauce,he later passed away from it,but he is the richest man in the cemetary.

• Like 1

Personally i have never witnessed it. The only 1s i have seen were the individuals not paying their rounds of drink at a table by suddenly slowing down their speed of drinking.

They are out there for sure. There is a whole circuit in Bangkok of free buffets, and any tourist area , there will also be well known balloon chasers.

They are out there for sure. There is a whole circuit in Bangkok of free buffets, and any tourist area , there will also be well known balloon chasers.

Hmmm...in the bars at f.i. Patong and Pattaya there is always a girls birthday.....perfect for your balloon friends.

Hmmm...in the bars at f.i. Patong and Pattaya there is always a girls birthday.....perfect for your balloon friends.

Oh Balloon chasers are not my friends, I personally don't have a lot if time for them, although a couple that I know are good to make fun out of. As you say Patong and Pattaya would be a Balloon chasers heaven.

Myself and a few other O&G guys left an "English teacher", who mooched in drinking with us one night, a rather large bar bill for this exact reason, in one bar every time a round came around, he decided it was time to go the toilet, thought no one noticed, poor ba*tard must have been on mamma and water for the rest of month or chasing balloons all over BKK after he squared that bill up, if he ever got out of place :lol:

• Like 1

I only live with the Thai's ... maybe see a Westener every other week.

Are you suggesting I should get out more often?