Swiss Visa

Thinking of stopping off in Switzerland with the missus for a 5 day stay on way back to LOS, and wanted to hear some up-to-date info from anyone who's been there, seen that, done it at getting a visa from Swiss Embassy in BKK.

Questions that spring to mind - how long does it take, how much does it cost and does application have to be submitted in person or by post; plus any tricks or wrinkles to make the process go smoothly?

Thanks in advance....

Thinking of stopping off in Switzerland with the missus for a 5 day stay on way back to LOS
What type of UK visa does your wife have? If she has ILR, FLR, a fiance visa, a spouse visa or certain other types of visa/entry clearance, but not a visit visa, for the UK then she does not need a visa to enter Switzerland as a visitor, and can stay for up to 3 months.

See item 5 on this page.

Edited by GU22

Hi guys

If I can just ask a quick question re. this topic, my Wife has FLR in the UK, can she visit the Schengen countries & Rep of Ireland without having to apply for a visa ?

Also have a Thai friend who has a visa in their Thai passport saying something like " indefinite leave ", does she have the same travel rights as my Wife ?

Thank you for any help with this.

Regards

Clive sorts

Further Leave to Remain and Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK ( or any othe type of UK visa or leave to remain) do not confer any rights to visit other countries. One still has to comply with the visa requirements of the country one wishes to visit.

So, to answer Clive's question; you wife and her friend do need a Schengen visa to visit one of the Schengen states and an Irish visa to visit the ROI.

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking of stopping off in Switzerland with the missus for a 5 day stay on way back to LOS

What type of UK visa does your wife have? If she has ILR, FLR, a fiance visa, a spouse visa or certain other types of visa/entry clearance, but not a visit visa, for the UK then she does not need a visa to enter Switzerland as a visitor, and can stay for up to 3 months.

See item 5 on this page.

Thanks for the reply GU22. She doesn't yet have a UK visa, but will be on a Visitor Visa when we got to UK, so will need to get a Swiss visa. Was really hoping for some personal insight from someone who has recently applied for a Swiss visa, and can give a description of the procedure and any pitfalls to avoid or wrinkes to make life easier? These sort of things are what the website doesn't mention and can help make life smooth for the next punter. Cheers. :o

See item 5 on this page.

Thanks for the reply GU22. She doesn't yet have a UK visa, but will be on a Visitor Visa when we got to UK, so will need to get a Swiss visa. Was really hoping for some personal insight from someone who has recently applied for a Swiss visa, and can give a description of the procedure and any pitfalls to avoid or wrinkes to make life easier? These sort of things are what the website doesn't mention and can help make life smooth for the next punter. Cheers. :o

Hi, one thing I can tell you is that the Swiss Embassy shuts at 11.30 am.Having been in Bangkok for 5-6 days we finally got my wife's vv and went to the Swiss Embassy to find it closed.Like you, we only wanted to go for 4-5 days. I really did not want to spend any more time in Bangkok so gave up on the Swiss visit as we are only on holiday in the UK for 2 months.