Reinstalling Windows Xp Pro.

Chopper

I was using windows XP Pro SP/2 of dubious heritage so I decided to upgrade to the original software using Microsoft Genuine Advantage Kit; a CD was sent to me by Microsoft. It gave two options one was an upgrade which I chose. The other was a clean install.

Since the upgrade I have been having problems such as pop up boxes with 'Application Errors'.

On start up I often get 'Windows Logon UI encountered a problem'. On shutdown I often get 'Logonui.exe-Application error'.

What I would like to know is, would it be prudent to now do the clean install as the upgrade seems to have left me with a few problems. I have '1 Click Fixer Plus' that resolves the issues temporarily but that is obviously not a long term solution.

If I do a clean install; notwithstanding I will back everything up first, will I lose all of the programs that I have on my Hard Drive?

Is there anything else that I should take note of or caution against as well?

Thanks.

A clean install is always best, since many programs will misbehave if you upgrade. If you have any data you want to save, move it to another drive, back it up to a CDR, or move it to another partition. Formatting the drive is recommended, since there are many files that cannot be deleted manually (at least not by a novice) and might cause problems later. You might want to export your bookmarks, contacts, etc so you can recover them later.

I'd also go with the reformat then clean install - of course saving your data first, but many programs have ways of backing up and later restoring your settings, including: IE, FIrefox, and Office - especially Office 2003. Check all your programs to see if there is some way of saving your settings to be restored later. If you use Firefox, then get a hold of Mozbackup.

Peter

I was using windows XP Pro SP/2 of dubious heritage so I decided to upgrade to the original software using Microsoft Genuine Advantage Kit; a CD was sent to me by Microsoft. It gave two options one was an upgrade which I chose. The other was a clean install.

Since the upgrade I have been having problems such as pop up boxes with 'Application Errors'.

On start up I often get 'Windows Logon UI encountered a problem'. On shutdown I often get 'Logonui.exe-Application error'.

What I would like to know is, would it be prudent to now do the clean install as the upgrade seems to have left me with a few problems. I have '1 Click Fixer Plus' that resolves the issues temporarily but that is obviously not a long term solution.

If I do a clean install; notwithstanding I will back everything up first, will I lose all of the programs that I have on my Hard Drive?

Is there anything else that I should take note of or caution against as well?

Thanks.

A clean install is always best, since many programs will misbehave if you upgrade. If you have any data you want to save, move it to another drive, back it up to a CDR, or move it to another partition. Formatting the drive is recommended, since there are many files that cannot be deleted manually (at least not by a novice) and might cause problems later. You might want to export your bookmarks, contacts, etc so you can recover them later.

If you opt for the preferred clean install but do not reformat the hard drive, would data files held in, say, My Documents etc not be affected? :o

Yes, everything for the original user will be in another directory (folder) under Documents and Settings, separate from the users added to the new install. After the new install, depending on how the security is set up, the new admin may have to fiddle with the security of the old data files a bit - possibly have to take ownership of them - in order to access them.

A major problem with doing it this way is that new programs will not go into a new folder, but the same Program files one. That can cause a lot of problems.

Peter

If you opt for the preferred clean install but do not reformat the hard drive, would data files held in, say, My Documents etc not be affected? :o