Dvi Male To Vga Female Cable

joka

hello all!

As you might can tell, I am looking for a vgi male to vga female cable, as i want to run two monitors off of my video card, (ati radeon 9200 se). I read on the internet that this could be done, but i can't find the cable out here in the provinces. any suggestions?

thanks.............

I hope that you mean you have a DVI connector on your VGA card and a D-Sub VGA monitor. What you usually want is a DVI-VGA adapter, as the VGA cable already comes with the monitor. The DVI-VGA adapter can be found at most accessory stores, and comes included with certain VGA cards that have DVI connectors. You might want to try going to the computer shops and asking them if you can buy one of these freebie adapters.

the DVI - VGA adaptor comes free with any decent graphics card, dont pay 900 baht for it, I have about 4 or 5 of these lying about in the office.

IMO you have one "D-SUB 15" pol and one "DVI-I" pol on your card. You've one VGA pol free for your second monitor. So you need only to buy one cable "D-SUB 15-pin male/female" if your monitor has an VGA input of course.

Are you sure this is quite so easy?

VGA is an analogue standard and DVI is digital. Quite different beasts.

A google search using "dvi vga" pulled up this. $282.

Also read this page.

The plug is cheap, the conversion box is $290

IMO your graphics card will support a monitor with DVI input or a monitor with vga input,

possibly both,

but NOT two monitors with vga input.

That would require a splitter plugged in the vga socket to allow two monitors to be connected.

Actually, the DVI plugs on nearly all PC VGA adapters are of the mixed type in that they carry both analog and digital signals. If you want to use it with a DVI monitor, you use a DVI cable. If you want to use it with an analog D-sub monitor, you use an adapter. The adapter does no processing... it just passes the analog signals to the D-sub connector.

For dual-head VGA cards (ones with two VGA ports), nearly all have ports which are *both* analog and digital compatible. This means it is possible to connect an analog display on both ports, provided you have the right adapter (usually included). I can say this with certainty, since I've done it several times myself (and this computer that I'm using now has two analog monitors, both on DVI ports using adapters).

For current LCD monitors, DVI is only slightly more crisp than an analog connection. The big advantage is signalling for setup... the monitor knows exactly how to frame/display the picture.

well, now i know why I am having trouble with this. and i'm thinking the dual monitor setup might not be possible with this video card (ati radeon 9200 se), even though it says its possible in the paperwork.

so, these are the three plugs i have on the back of my card- vga, s-video,and one little yellow plug that says comp-out(it looks like your standard jack for your t-v, dvd, etc.).this is the plug i thought was dvi, am i right?

i tried the splitter cable (one vga to the video card with two vga plugs on the other end), but i was only able to duplicate my current window, not open new windows in the second monitor.

thanks for the help........

This may be what came free with the Apple iBook and is still available at Apple stores in Thailand but very ???? about 900baht if I remember.

Very cheap from US generic suppliers if u go there.

Sorry I meant it was a mini dvi to vga....slightly different.

well, now i know why I am having trouble with this. and i'm thinking the dual monitor setup might not be possible with this video card (ati radeon 9200 se), even though it says its possible in the paperwork.

so, these are the three plugs i have on the back of my card- vga, s-video,and one little yellow plug that says comp-out(it looks like your standard jack for your t-v, dvd, etc.).this is the plug i thought was dvi, am i right?

i tried the splitter cable (one vga to the video card with two vga plugs on the other end), but i was only able to duplicate my current window, not open new windows in the second monitor.

The manual is correct in that it supports two monitors but not two VGA/DVI monitors. The DB15 connector is for your VGA monitor and the other two (composite video and S-video) can plug into a TV set or projector and have two different displays (dual display modes). The DVI jack is slightly larger then the VGA and is square rather then offset pins and is white. Your card does not have this and you will need to purchase a new card if you want true dual-monitor support.

Thanks Tywais !

Are you saying I can open one desktop window on the monitor, and a separate one on a television ? I can use a monitor and a television at the same time?

That is correct. Sometimes we do that here (CMU) when giving a presentation. Have our notes on the computer monitor and the presentation on the LCD projector.

A TV (not an LCD TV) has a display which is interlaced, and very low resolution. It's not very well suited for displaying computer images, even when you reduce the resolution to something like 640x480. Like stated above, it's OK for watching movies/playing games, but not good for text. LCD TVs are a different matter, since most have direct support for computer resolutions.

I run 2 monitors off my notebook, the regular notebook display and a seperate 19" lcd monitor. Most notebooks support this function without any additional graphics cards. There are 2 options for display, clone and extended desktop. I had a hard time at first figuring this out but now I've got it. Clone mode both displays are identical. Extended desktop( the one I use) allows you to see different web pages on each monitor and you can drag and drop between the 2. IN WinXP right click on an open area of the desktop, select graphics optiions then output to. You can pick your display choice from there. You can adjust the properties of the monitors by right clicking an open area of the desktop and select properties and settings. You can then drag and drop the secondary monitor the its actual physical location to the right or the left of the primary and also adust the monitor settings.

P

I run 2 monitors off my notebook, the regular notebook display and a seperate 19" lcd monitor. Most notebooks support this function without any additional graphics cards. There are 2 options for display, clone and extended desktop. I had a hard time at first figuring this out but now I've got it. Clone mode both displays are identical. Extended desktop( the one I use) allows you to see different web pages on each monitor and you can drag and drop between the 2. IN WinXP right click on an open area of the desktop, select graphics optiions then output to. You can pick your display choice from there. You can adjust the properties of the monitors by right clicking an open area of the desktop and select properties and settings. You can then drag and drop the secondary monitor the its actual physical location to the right or the left of the primary and also adust the monitor settings.

P

IMO this is correct but will not work with S-Video together.