Thai general Paibul blasts banks over drugs

webfact

An ongoing unwinnable conflict that cannot be won by the anti narcotic side, human nature dictates the rules.

Still at least if some effort is made there might be some improvement.

The real solution although personally I do not favour it is to legalise all narcotic consumption.

Tax it like tobacco. alcohol etc etc and then see the bottom drop out of the market.Drug barons eradicated, state coffers full and goodness knows what society we might end up with

Indeed there is the prospect of an overwhelming Orwellian nightmare with the above scenario.

Edited by siampolee

lack of scruples in the banking sectorcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

welcome to the real world WE HAVE KNOW THIS FOR DECADES

Couldn't agree more, even the Vatican bank was on the top ten list for money laundering at one stage which also involved the Italian Mafia. As for Europe and North America, is there any bank that hasn't engaged in illegal activities in recent years and had huge fines imposed on them? Probably top place must go to the Swiss and a few other similar countries that have accepted any blood soaked deposits no matter from whom and where. I am just surprised given the activities of the financial institutions in recent years they don't all relocate their HQ's to Las Vegas.

• Like 1

A war on drugs will be unwinnable, they always are. However, keeping inmates from opening bank accounts is a no-brainer.

I'm not so sure, even if you stop a criminal from opening an account what stops them doing it in another name? I would say let them open the accounts, monitor deposits and gain information from where and who they are made and finally when you have all the info that can be gained take all their assets.

Not much point in making it harder to trace the cash really.

• Like 1

I love soldier and <Thai language removed> love thailand because I was born in thailand yeah!

Edited by metisdead
Thai language edited out of post. This is an English language forum, English is the only acceptable language, except in the Thai language forum where Thai language is allowed.

For those posters advocating legalization - are you seriously in favor of legalizing stuff like ya ba?

Legalization might work if there are means to control and ensure public health and safety. It probably requires some

elements of education and standard keeping which are sorely lacking in Thailand.

Add not having the best control over borders with neighboring countries, a massive number of tourists and this

could easily get out of hand.

Legalization is not a bad thing in itself, but it needs to be applied with some forethought and with measures that

enable regulation and control. Thailand isn't quite ready for that yet. Lets start with simpler concepts of responsible

alcohol consumption and see how it goes, eh?

As for the OP - I like this. Yes, these are mostly words right now, and the fines seem ridiculous. But - I do not think

that in the Thai context these things usually go unsaid or publicly expressed. Wonder if the last bit and the public

address are a warning shot.

this is a joke until they stop the police selling drugs, which they havent done yet, how about they drug test the police and their lackys before making these emotional outbursts? not going to happen because face is all that matters

Rome wasn't built in a day, and the military won't / can't stop / curtail / cure all the problems currently facing Thailand over night, but they certainly seem to be opening many cans-of-worms which is a good start in the right direction. Just give them time to study, investigate and sort out the means and methods to eradicate or at lest get a better handle on who / what / where they should be concentrating their efforts.

• Like 1

..."what he considers to be a lack of scruples in the banking sector"...

That's a bit naive. Banks have no scruples nor will they ever have. Only a set of laws will contain the banks to maneuvering inside the law. And then there still has to be a fair risk for bankers to be jailed if breaking those laws.

"Top officials at the Corrections Department have been warned they will be punished for failing to stop drug trafficking in prisons."

Again somewhat naive. Only special maximum security prisons can be kept drugs free.

"Paibul said he was making a comprehensive list of drug networks, which included politicians and state officials."

Now we're talking. Get the top of the bad guys and you're doing something useful. One can never win the war on drugs though. That business simply is far too profitable to prevent othersfrom trying to get rich with it.

He have a bank account too so what he talking about drugs or stealing ?????