Tsunami Volunteer English Teacher Drowns In Phuket

george

Tsunami volunteer English teacher drowns in Phuket

PHUKET: -- The body of a 20-year-old American woman who drowned Saturday while swimming during a heavy rainstorm with three friends has been found off the island resort's main city beach by Navy personnel.

Officials found the body of volunteer English teacher Elena Baldwin not far from where she drowned only hours after the accident took place Saturday afternoon.

A senior Royal Thai Navy officer said Ms. Baldwin and three friends were reported to have gone swimming here in this southern resort despite a warning by lifeguards at the beach against going into the water as there was a heavy rainstorm at the time.

One of the three survivors was being treated at a Phuket hospital, the officer said.

All four are volunteers teaching English to tsunami victims at a school in nearby Phangnga province, he said.

--TNA 2006-06-25

Tsunami volunteer English teacher drowns in Phuket

PHUKET: -- The body of a 20-year-old American woman who drowned Saturday while swimming during a heavy rainstorm with three friends has been found off the island resort's main city beach by Navy personnel.

Officials found the body of volunteer English teacher Elena Baldwin not far from where she drowned only hours after the accident took place Saturday afternoon.

A senior Royal Thai Navy officer said Ms. Baldwin and three friends were reported to have gone swimming here in this southern resort despite a warning by lifeguards at the beach against going into the water as there was a heavy rainstorm at the time.

One of the three survivors was being treated at a Phuket hospital, the officer said.

All four are volunteers teaching English to tsunami victims at a school in nearby Phangnga province, he said.

--TNA 2006-06-25

I saw these events unfolding yesterday. This group of young adults were on the beach at Karon which is pretty rough this time of year. At some point four of them were in the water together when they got caught in a rip current. Three were able to get out, the fourth, the young woman disappeared. She was found an hour or so later about one mile down the beach just off shore. The western beaches of Phuket, Karon in particular, claims swimmers this time of year too often. In defense of the local authorities, the beach is clearly marked with red flags and signs in Thai and English "No swimming". The Thai response including life guards, Navy SAR(Search and rescue) and the local medics service responded quickly and in force, executed an organized search, and even had a jet ski sink in the rough seas. My heart goes out to the family and friends of this young lady who came here to help.

P

Why not? We often go swimming when it rains. If it wasn't for the riptide there should be no particular problem with that. I guess the whole thing was probably down to poor communication - both in terms of the signs posted and the life guards which could be more specific. Particularly Europeans are brought up to question authority and prohibitations and are unlikely to follow "no swimming" orders unless explained why.

Why not? We often go swimming when it rains. If it wasn't for the riptide there should be no particular problem with that.

I don't know, if you have ever been at Karon Beach during a heavy rain. It is not just plain rain, the undercurrents are very strong here and during the rainy season every week several people disappear here. It is a very bad idea to ignore the red flags, especially in Karon Beach, Surin Beach, and Nai Harn Beach.

When I was much younger I spent a lot of time swimming in the ocean off California. I was a good swimmer but I always carried a deflated beachball under the elastic of my swim trunks. If I got in to trouble it could be inflated then deflated after I had rested. It saved my life at least 3 times! If you swim you might want to do the same.

Remember, if ever caught in a riptide, do not attempt to fight the current. Just float along with it until it subsides. Then attempt to reach shore, even if it is 1km away from where you entered the water.

Also, rain showers do no harm, but lightning will. I used to live in Florida, which ironically is known as the Sunshine State. It seemed to me that it should be named the Rain & Lightning State. Everytime I was at the beach and saw dark clouds approaching, I got the h*ll out of there.

• 4 weeks later...

There was more to this situation than this article tells. It is simply a sugar coated version of what really happened, and being a friend of Elena I think that people deserve and need to know the truth. The group of young people at the beach that day were volunteers working through a company whos name i will not mention. The person in charge of their group, their leader, the person paid to look after them and help them was the one who insisted on taking them to that particular beach that day. The leader told all the volunteers that it was ok to go onto the beach, and when he was asked if they could get in the water he told them they could and that it was ok to do so. Many of them entered the water, but soon four of them got pulled out. They began waving their arms in the air, knowing that they were in trouble, and their leader simply waved back at them. When one of the other volunteers told the leader that they were in trouble and he needed to get help, the leader simply stood by and did nothing. Many of the volunteers jumped into the water to try to help. One of the victims was able to swim back himself. Finally a life guard showed up, but after a few failed attempts at rescuing the three people in the water he simply quit trying. Some of the voulnteers were brave and were able to rescue two of the other people in the water, but poor Elena was still stuck out there. Finally their leader went to get help, but all he did was call his boss and tell him that one of his group members was drowning. There were many people on the beach who could have helped, but the only person who spoke Thai, the group leader, didn't tell them what was going on. Eventually Elena was out of sight and her body was found later. This was an extremely tragic event, and although the beach did have red flags posted, the people who entered the water did so because someone who lived there and was there to take care of them and ensure their safety told them it was ok. While it obviously would hurt to lose someone you really cared about, it hurts even more to know that this whole event could have been prevented if the proper actions were taken immediately. I'm really tired of reading articles on this that don't tell the entire truth, people read them and think that Elena and the others simply shouldn't have gotten in the water and therefore it is their fault, but in reality it is the fault of the negligent leader, and the slow response of officials.

Remember, if ever caught in a riptide, do not attempt to fight the current. Just float along with it until it subsides. Then attempt to reach shore, even if it is 1km away from where you entered the water.

Good advice, :o are you an Aussie or a Yank? :D

Edited by udon

If shes was a Tsunami volunteer working in the area she shoulda known how dangerous the Phuket beaches are @ this time of year. Ive only ever been to Phuket 1 time for less that 48hrs but have known for years how many people drown there during this season.

You can blame it all on this "person in charge of their group", but if he'd told her to jump in front of a bus etc. :o

RIP.

There was more to this situation than this article tells. It is simply a sugar coated version of what really happened, and being a friend of Elena I think that people deserve and need to know the truth. The group of young people at the beach that day were volunteers working through a company whos name i will not mention. The person in charge of their group, their leader, the person paid to look after them and help them was the one who insisted on taking them to that particular beach that day. The leader told all the volunteers that it was ok to go onto the beach, and when he was asked if they could get in the water he told them they could and that it was ok to do so. Many of them entered the water, but soon four of them got pulled out. They began waving their arms in the air, knowing that they were in trouble, and their leader simply waved back at them. When one of the other volunteers told the leader that they were in trouble and he needed to get help, the leader simply stood by and did nothing. Many of the volunteers jumped into the water to try to help. One of the victims was able to swim back himself. Finally a life guard showed up, but after a few failed attempts at rescuing the three people in the water he simply quit trying. Some of the voulnteers were brave and were able to rescue two of the other people in the water, but poor Elena was still stuck out there. Finally their leader went to get help, but all he did was call his boss and tell him that one of his group members was drowning. There were many people on the beach who could have helped, but the only person who spoke Thai, the group leader, didn't tell them what was going on. Eventually Elena was out of sight and her body was found later. This was an extremely tragic event, and although the beach did have red flags posted, the people who entered the water did so because someone who lived there and was there to take care of them and ensure their safety told them it was ok. While it obviously would hurt to lose someone you really cared about, it hurts even more to know that this whole event could have been prevented if the proper actions were taken immediately. I'm really tired of reading articles on this that don't tell the entire truth, people read them and think that Elena and the others simply shouldn't have gotten in the water and therefore it is their fault, but in reality it is the fault of the negligent leader, and the slow response of officials.

A really tragic event and a sad loss of life - but not so long before someone starts blaming a local. With red flags and no swimming signs all over the place why would anybody listen to a tourist group leader?

Very sad that the girl drowned. I remember that day being quite wet and windy. I drove past Karon beach on a similar type of day recently and the waves were huge.

I would never trust a local advising me that something was safe, that is normally a surefire warning that something is not safe.

I'm not blaming a local, I'm simply stating true facts of what happened. The people who decided to go swimming had never been in the area before and knew nothing about the beach. If someone who knows about the beach told them it was ok to swim, why wouldn't they believe him? I don't blame anyone for what happened, but I also believe that the situation could have been prevented, and handled a lot better than it was. I don't expect anyone to understand where I am coming from because they did not personally know Elena like I did. But I thought the truth about the situation should be told. Elena was an extremely bright girl, she never would have gone in the water unless she really thought it was ok to, and who wouldn't think it was ok if a local tells them that it is.

Why not? We often go swimming when it rains. If it wasn't for the riptide there should be no particular problem with that. I guess the whole thing was probably down to poor communication - both in terms of the signs posted and the life guards which could be more specific. Particularly Europeans are brought up to question authority and prohibitations and are unlikely to follow "no swimming" orders unless explained why.

survival of the fitist :o

Hey

Also, when caught in a riptide/current, swim parallel to the shore, thereby swimming to an area, where the rip is no longer evident.

If it is an undercurrent as opposed to a rip, just stay afloat until you are into saver and deeper waters, thereby conserving your energy.

Safe swimming

Peter

I'm really tired of reading articles on this that don't tell the entire truth

Thanks for your information, I am sure a lot of people found your post very enlightening and it's good to hear the other side of a story. We get that here and I find that much more valuable than just reading the paper. A story comes out as you say "sugar coated" resulting in many readers having a knee jerk reaction to blame the victim, and then someone like yourself who was there adds that golden post. Clearly, this tragic death could have been prevented many times, but for the repeated actions of the leader who people had put their trust in on that day. In light of the circumstances I don't blame the victim and believe a large percentage of people would have acted exactly the same. It was a death trap waiting to happen which came to the ultimate and unfortunate end. Another sad part is this leader I am guessing will choose to, and be allowed to continue with his job.

Hey

Also, when caught in a riptide/current, swim parallel to the shore, thereby swimming to an area, where the rip is no longer evident.

If it is an undercurrent as opposed to a rip, just stay afloat until you are into saver and deeper waters, thereby conserving your energy.

Safe swimming

Peter

Is it possible to explain the difference?

kat,

Riptides and currents have their biggest water volume movement at the surface in contrast to an undercurrent, where the water volume moves close to the bottom.

The latter is a big problem for instance on the Samui beaches during the rainy season and each year people succumb to this phenomena although there are clear sign posts and red flags along the beach in Chaweng during that time frame.

I'm not blaming a local, I'm simply stating true facts of what happened.
...but in reality it is the fault of the negligent leader, and the slow response of officials.

Does leading a volunteer group around an island in a thrid world country automatically make anyone an expert on public safety? :D

Sure he is going to continue working as a tour leader or whatever - in which other job could he possibly get paid the princely sum of £ 200 per month. :o If he were a cigarette company, you could sue him for his millions - I think!

And yes, which part of "NO SWIMMING" signs could be called poor communication? :D

It's sad that she died and my condolences to her friends and family who are suffering her loss, but to enter the water was her own decision.

Does leading a volunteer group around an island in a thrid world country automatically make anyone an expert on public safety? :o

Sure, you can look at the other side that it was avoidable by the victim which it was. But why bring tourists in swimwear to a party on a beach that is closed, approve them going in the water, and when the situation turns into an emergency not help them? He continually did just enough wrong to get someone killed. I find that kind of sad.

I find it very sad, too Coder. My condolences to the family as well.

Hey

Safe swimming

Peter

kat,

Riptides and currents have their biggest water volume movement at the surface in contrast to an undercurrent, where the water volume moves close to the bottom.

The latter is a big problem for instance on the Samui beaches during the rainy season and each year people succumb to this phenomena although there are clear sign posts and red flags along the beach in Chaweng during that time frame.

Thanks Limbos. If the volume of undercurrents is under water, wouldn't that pull you under as well? How on earth should one react in that situation?

Thanks for your information, I am sure a lot of people found your post very enlightening and it's good to hear the other side of a story. We get that here and I find that much more valuable than just reading the paper. A story comes out as you say "sugar coated" resulting in many readers having a knee jerk reaction to blame the victim, and then someone like yourself who was there adds that golden post. Clearly, this tragic death could have been prevented many times, but for the repeated actions of the leader who people had put their trust in on that day. In light of the circumstances I don't blame the victim and believe a large percentage of people would have acted exactly the same. It was a death trap waiting to happen which came to the ultimate and unfortunate end. Another sad part is this leader I am guessing will choose to, and be allowed to continue with his job.

Actually many of the students in the group fought countless times with the leaders boss to attempt to gain some sort of justice. The leader was fired.

Actually many of the students in the group fought countless times with the leaders boss to attempt to gain some sort of justice. The leader was fired.

Great, now he can get a job teaching English. :o

Just fired??!! To perhaps go tomorrow and be another "leader" elsewhere?? Unforgivable...

I know, being fired isn't exactly gaining justice on the situation...its simply leaves him free to be careless eslewhere. This whole matter may actually be going to court soon, hopefully there is more punishment than just being fired.

I find it very sad, too Coder. My condolences to the family as well.

Hey

Safe swimming

Peter

kat,

Thanks Limbos. If the volume of undercurrents is under water, wouldn't that pull you under as well? How on earth should one react in that situation?

Kat, I once got caught in a heavy surf with a rip-tide running parallel to the shore and under-current operating at the same time. This was on a beach off Western Sumatra quite near where the epicentre of the tsunami was, but 12 years ago. I was being pummelled by the surf crashing down on top of me, then being dragged back by the undertow, while moving rapidly along the coast with the rip-tide, about 60 -80 m from the beach. Each time a big wave came, I tried to body surf it as much as I could, but then when it broke would be thrown around like a rag doll in a washing machine, totally losing my sense of direction until I gained the surface again, but having lost the forward motion on top of the wave and been pulled back out to sea. This gave me about 15 secs to catch my breath before the next wave caught me and repeated the process, but 50 m further down the coast and NO-ONE around to rescue me. I spent so much energy trying to fight the waves and get past the surf zone into calmer water behind the sand bar, that after going through the washer and tumble drier a dozen times or so, I was totally and utterly knackered - and heading towards the end of the bay, where I would be swept round the rocks to an unknown area and certain death from sheer exhaustion.

My only option was to ignore Peter's advice and fight both the rip-tide and the under-tow, or I was going to drown for sure. With every ounce of my strength left I timed the next wave to body surf it as far inshore as I could and then when it crashed and tossed me around, try to get to the surface as quickly as possible, then carry on swimming towards shore against the current pulling be back out to sea. It nearly killed me fighting that surf, but as you can see, I'm still here today due to using some inner energy reserves I never guessed I had. I'm sure if I'd taken Peter's advice I'd now be brown bread, like the poor girl in Phuket.

My sincere condolences to her family and hope you get some justice Alicia, if you really think the leader was negligent and not just a bit careless. :o