Thai Airways awards changes

Bucko

http://edm.royal-orchid-plus.com/MoreMilesNewAwardLevels/en/index.php?page=page_3&utm_source=EnewsJuly&utm_medium=edm&utm_campaign=enews_ROP_July&utm_content=middle_NewAward

I recently left Qantas because they " stuck it " to us Economy Class Travellers--now Thai Air are doing the same --

Best now --for me anyway---to forget all about Awards--and to keep an eye out on the net to book in advance -or a so called " last minute offer " - if it is practicle-

Unfortunatley there are not too many choices from N.Z---- sad.png

Don't forget to read the small print at the end

Edited by Bucko

The unfortnunate thing for those of us who travel on a budget and on our own funds rather than for a company, is most alirlines are on a race to the bottom for giving fewer miles for tickets purchased and increasing the amont of mileage required for an award. I have also reached your conclusion - best to find the best fare and forget about the affiliation.

As a side note, within Asia, I often find Air Asia to be the best option - I fly them between Thailand and Indonesia about 3-4 times per year plus other small trips. I joined there "Big" award program and found that after 2 years of accrual and about 10-12 trips - the "Big" award wasn't enough for a one-way Bangkok to Chiang Mai award - not really "Big" at all.

• Like 1

I have never bothered with collecting points for the sake of it, don't see the point for the infrequent economy traveller. It's like any loyalty card - collect the points but don't buy bad deals just to get points. I just shop around for the best deals.

We have joined most of the FF programs though - have used points for hotel stays a couple times, and my wife has twice scored free business class upgrades on Emirates - I can only assume due to her being a FF member and travelling solo. Very nice to sleep flat in business on the overnight SYD - BKK flight!

Ever read the frequent flyer forum? Mostly business travellers, and they obsess over 'status'. Not so much the points but the privileges associated with 'gold' / 'platinum' FF status. They are the type of people who will rent a car for the weekend just to keep their points high enough to maintain status.

I have never bothered with collecting points for the sake of it, don't see the point for the infrequent economy traveller. It's like any loyalty card - collect the points but don't buy bad deals just to get points. I just shop around for the best deals.

We have joined most of the FF programs though - have used points for hotel stays a couple times, and my wife has twice scored free business class upgrades on Emirates - I can only assume due to her being a FF member and travelling solo. Very nice to sleep flat in business on the overnight SYD - BKK flight!

Ever read the frequent flyer forum? Mostly business travellers, and they obsess over 'status'. Not so much the points but the privileges associated with 'gold' / 'platinum' FF status. They are the type of people who will rent a car for the weekend just to keep their points high enough to maintain status.

Reminds me of when i worked in London in the 80's with all the 'Upwardly Mobile Yuppies'. Seems these days things haven't changed much and they all need to get a life !