Two Foreign Skydivers Killed In Mid-air

george

Skydiving mishap kills two

PRACHUAP KHIRI KHAN: -- Two foreign skydivers died yesterday after they collided in mid-air during a group jump in Prachuap Khiri Khan, witnesses and officials said.

The skydivers’ parachutes had become tangled during the jump, leading to the collision, which happened about 50 feet (15 meters) above the ground, witnesses said.

The two men, Italian Antonio Depiscopo, 48, and Russian Andrey Tershukov, 32, were rushed to hospital with serious injuries at about 1pm. Depiscopo, who suffered severe head injuries, was unconscious when admitted to hospital and pronounced dead shortly after. Tershukov, who suffered injuries to his arm and spine, died later in the evening due to loss of blood and shock.

The two men were part of a group of more than 280 skydivers from 30 countries taking part in mass jumps being staged at the Royal Thai Air Force’s Wing 53 base in Prachuap Khiri Khan’s Muang district. At least 15 other skydivers had jumped at the same time as Tershukov and Depiscopo.

The two were experienced skydivers, with Depiscopo having jumped 2,150 times and Tershukov more than 700.

Yesterday’s jump was part of Thai Sky Festival 2004, which is being held until late this month. The event was hosted by the RTAF and the World Team Organisation Committee.

The divers were affiliated with Exotic Sky Adventures, a Dutchregistered company that holds skydiving tours for its members.

--The Nation 2004-03-11

I sky dived in Holland.

Although at that time I called in jumping.

I was to be considered as a starter.I made about 40 jumps and my longest free fall was about 5-6 seconds.

At that time it was quite expensive and having to choose between marrying my love (still married) and to continue I made my choice.

I still remember the fantastic spirit umongst the jumpers.

There was no difference in attitude between the 1000 times + jumpers and us poor starters.We were one sharing group.

With that background I understand the previous reaction.

I once noted a near accident ( a May West case jumpers know what I mean),and it was a shock on the landing strip. Fortunately his spare shute opened automatically by using a sentanial ( a must for starters in Holland).

The jumper was sent home, because the automatic opener took over as he did not reacted timely.

I've only dived once, but I still remember the thrill. It was one of those experiences that makes you feel intensely alive! :o

The only reason I didn't stick with it was that I couldn't afford another expensive hobby. If I hadn't already been sailing & snow skiing I'd probably have taken it up.

They may be dead early in life, but they died doing something that they enjoyed.

Thanks Dutch,

And I am glad this thread has taken a more positive turn...

As skydivers, we do accept the risk that comes with the exhiliration... and we do all take it very seriously when someone is injured... that is not to say however that the following week we will all be back at the DZ jumping again... but we do still remember those who 'bounce' and try to learn from what lead up to that... which in a sport which is as calculated as skydiving is can generally be traced back to an error of judgment, ether in preparation or while in the air.

My fiance had a horrific accident the year before last, hitting the ground right in front of me after we had had one of the best skydives of our life. She is only just now getting her full mobility back, hence our move to Thailand to 'retire'. We are able to joke about it, as all skydivers do about pretty much everything... but there is the right time and the wrong time to do it, and you have to have some knowledge to do so without ruffling feathers.

But on the flip side... was I cheesed off to find that the DZ was no longer open out here!!!!

So you can see, it is something in the blood.... my other half would still love to jump and I do!

Great to hear of your experiences..

scratt

I have been skydiving for half my life, and yes, we realize there are dangers to it...

Most notably the persons who are jumping! Equipment is just so reliable these days that the biggest risk factor is the person wearing that equipment...

Anyway, these guys probably had a greater risk getting killed on the way to Prachuab then by jumping out of that plane!

Last year a person died on the Thai roads every 8 minutes... 24hrs a day, 365 days a year...

Sad, but accident do happen ... and like Monty put it : "Watch out for that truck !"

But as it is something in our blood:

Anyone in this group with skydiving experience in Thailand ?

My last jump was in Malaysia (Between KL and Singapore).

Absolutely,

Just moved over here from the UK.

Empuria used to my home DZ, and Netheravon in the UK.

Knew about the recents happenings in Thailand with the DZ here, but had also heard the DZ and 'scene' over here was unusual, shall we say!

But yes, add my name to a list of people interested in helping out, being involved etc. etc. Even if it is just a like minded group heading off to Malaysia in a truck!!

All the best,

scratt.

p.s. My condo is on the 18th floor and I may get desperate enough to consider a BASE jump soon.... :o

i am kind of abit old for all these hard bone breaking stuff

i shall stick to the ground

i had my share of camps

hikes and mountain climbing

i do wish i had made a couple of jumps

anyway

no longer have the urge to endanger me bones

for those who are still in it

take good care...