Thai authorities impound assets of Siamese rosewood smugglers

webfact

Thai authorities impound assets of Siamese rosewood smugglers
By Digital Content

14044515718934.jpg

BANGKOK, July 4 -- Thai Anti-Money Laundering Office (AMLO) personnel along with army and police personnel early Friday impounded the assets of suspected Siamese rosewood smugglers to Thailand’s neighbouring countries.

The officials launched lighting raids at 20 spots in five northeastern provinces of Ubon Ratchathani, Mukdahan, Kalasin, Amnat Charoen and Si Sa Ket.

In Ubon Ratchathani on the Lao border, Pol Col Seehanat Prayoonrat, AMLO secretary-general, and other officials raided seven tents owned by Somchai Chantalak which are selling cars.

The officials later impounded cars at the tents.

The searches were made following a recent arrest of a Siamese rosewood smuggler using cars from these tents in smuggling the valuable wood to the Pao PDR, police said.

Col Sihanat and other Thai personnel later travelled to Mukdahan province and impounded assets of several suspected Siamese rosewood smugglers.

Also, Royal Forest Department personnel and police searched an empty space behind a petrol station in Prachin Buri province bordering Cambodia.

They found 72 planks of Siamese rosewood and 42 processed portions of another valuable wood behind the filling station and nearby. Police said they would question the land owner.

Illegal falling of forest trees, especially Siamese rosewood, is critical in Thailand and strictly illegal.

Demands for payung wood in Thailand’s neighbouring countries such as China and Vietnam have increased tremendously during the past few years as they hired Thais to illegally cut and smuggle the wood out of the country.

According to a latest survey, Thailand has only 100,000 Siamese rosewood trees remaining in natural habitats. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-07-04

Wonder why they don't make seedlings and reforest with them. Rosewood is so regulated that nurseries do not even have them for sale as they are afraid of prosecution. Seems the law is shooting itself in the foot.

Do you know for sure that they don't ?

I do know that 2 botanical gardens I visit regularly have a large nursery areas where they raise tree cuttings although I don't know what type.

There are also several forest research centers and I would imagine most if not all national parks would also have nurseries.

After all they are talking about reforesting the parts of NP"s they are clawing back from encroachment.

Whatever your political persuasion no one can deny that the coup has woken the slumbering pig known as the RTP. The law has returned to Dodge and most people are happy about that.

Indeed, there there's a new sheriff in town, and he's packing.....

Well unfortunately, Thailand had 100,000 elephants circa 100 years ago, and now it's estimated at 2-3,000. Trees will go the same way, unless China is stopped from investing and causing the fellings (or illegal falling in OP)......China is the culprit in this case, for sure.

Edit: I just found this too: http://english.rfa.org/english/news/china/rosewood-05152014141450.html

Edited by UbonRatch

As long as there is a demand there will be a supply, just like ivory.

Take away the demand. It can be done, but it takes some serious work, moreover,

Kill the corruption.

Way to go army, get the thugs (preferred to use another word, but am not allowed).

Whatever your political persuasion no one can deny that the coup has woken the slumbering pig known as the RTP. The law has returned to Dodge and most people are happy about that.

Actually not. The censorship of the media today means you learn a lot more about it than you did two months ago. When you can't report so many stories, then these very small crime stories make it to the top of the list at Thai Visa and elsewhere. In fact, they were always there, but deep inside the newspapers.

Before the coup, there were 1,600 arrests of these wood smugglers/merchants in 2014 - more than 300 a month. Today was just another day in the rosewood-arresting business. No changes at all.

• Like 1

Wonder why they don't make seedlings and reforest with them. Rosewood is so regulated that nurseries do not even have them for sale as they are afraid of prosecution. Seems the law is shooting itself in the foot.

From 50 baht a seedling everywhere. Whole roads devoted to them in some villages. Hundreds or thousands at each nursery. Very popular. Cutting even privately owned ones is a big hassle but there are millions of seedlings available to buy if you are prepared to wait 30 or more years to harvest. Even available at govt sponsored forestry info places.

• Like 1

From 50 baht a seedling everywhere. Whole roads devoted to them in some villages. Hundreds or thousands at each nursery. Very popular. Cutting even privately owned ones is a big hassle but there are millions of seedlings available to buy if you are prepared to wait 30 or more years to harvest. Even available at govt sponsored forestry info places.

Can you be a bit more specific? Villages where rosewood seedlings are sold?

• Like 1

Yes Bigbamboo, but its only pats on the back for doing the things they are empowered to do.

The GDP, economic stability, investing in social services, investing in infrastructure, dealing with human trafficking, developing good farming practice, some sort of rice scheme?, free speech and open discussion on what the economy is doing/not doing, elections, improve the judicial system, fairer tax system, maybe capital gains tax?, a constitution that doesn't give a lot of power to the army?, vary the investment method and practice in Thailand, adopting business practices from other countries, conflict of interest in the business community to be scrutinised (Armed services personal must prove they have something to offer)??? are just some of the things that also need to be monitored.

Cleaning up the streets and prosecuting criminals, I just get the feeling that it is still selective. Some backroom spin doctor advising which action will bring the best value for buck?

So the general is also putting his feelers out to see acceptance levels for him becoming PM?

I am getting off the topic, but just a few caught criminals and their assets impounded are not a nation make.

Funny I have never seen one. Will have to ask some more vendors.

I defintely agree that these steps are good ones; however, why not let the media cover ALL parts of the military governance - a free press would keep all things open to public view.

Hi, We have just bought some Rosewood seedlings from the nursery in the main street of Amphur Li, Lamphun Province, 20 baht each. I'll be long gone by the time they are ready for harvest but the descendants can reap the rewards, I hope.

• Like 2

Can anyone write for me in Thai the name of the Rosewood tree?

Thank you in anticipation, I know someone can . . .

ton phayung

The 't' is like an English 'd', but with the tongue against the front teeth. Alternatively, like 'th' in English 'the', but without letting air pass through.

The 'o' like 'oh', but short in duration. 'ton' is falling tone.

'ph' like English 'p' 'a' like 'ah' but very short: 'pha' high & short. 'u' like English 'oo', but again, short; ;yung' is mid-tone. Say p'yung.

'ton' just means 'tree' or any plant with a stem/trunk.

Cheers, S

Can anyone write for me in Thai the name of the Rosewood tree?

Thank you in anticipation, I know someone can . . .

Just realized you may want it in Thai script (but that's supposed to be against the TV rules): ต้นพยุง

--S

Funny I have never seen one. Will have to ask some more vendors.

In answer for further information requested off-line, In some places forest tree seedlings are as cheap as 20 baht and I have seen them for sale East of BKK in the general areas of Chacheongsao & Prachinburi provinces. There are scores (100's???) of whole villages who's whole income is nursery seedlings. In total, there would be kilometers of road frontage devoted to plant & seedling sales stacked right up to the tar-seal. In typical Thai fashion. they tend to specialize a bit with some places selling fruit tree seedlings, others selling ornamentals & exotics, some only rubber trees and still others specializing in native and forest trees.

Edited by The Deerhunter

Actually not. The censorship of the media today means you learn a lot more about it than you did two months ago. When you can't report so many stories, then these very small crime stories make it to the top of the list at Thai Visa and elsewhere. In fact, they were always there, but deep inside the newspapers.

Before the coup, there were 1,600 arrests of these wood smugglers/merchants in 2014 - more than 300 a month. Today was just another day in the rosewood-arresting business. No changes at all.

Could you backup your figures.. seen you be liberal with the truth before to put our savior the junta in a bad light. You harbor a lot of anger towards the junta as they put your side out of the game for now.

I can only say go junta go.. look at the great work in Phuket.

As usual, I went to Kaeng Krachan last week (in the deep forest). I saw some Burmese guys cutting a very very large tree using chain saws. The sound could be heard km around during hours. Then, nearby, I met some officials in their 2 official trucks, we could heard clearly the sound, but when talking to me, they didn't seem to hear, seems normal.....

Well it's a pit the don't do the same for the purchasing and distribution for Ivory. All of the ivory should be destroyed and all proceeds/cash from the illegal sales be confiscated and all property confiscated that was purchased from these illegal sales.

Not to mention the killing of these magnificent animals.angry.png

• Like 1