Thai people smile and friendly to me

soistranger

"A smile in Asia can convey happiness or sadness, regret or anticipation, triumph or embarrassment, warmth or wikidness."

-Seth Mydans (Int'l Herald Tribune)

I was just wondering, apart from bringing Wikipedia into the fray, is there any difference any where else in the World?

"A smile in Asia can convey happiness or sadness, regret or anticipation, triumph or embarrassment, warmth or wikidness."

I was just wondering, apart from bringing Wikipedia into the fray, is there any difference any where else in the World?

Not sure what you mean, but I didn't get that quote from Wikipedia, I read it some time ago and saved it.

My own experience is that, yes, there is considerable difference in the "smile" here in Thailand and other Asian countries than in Western countries.

Your experience has been different?

Edited by ClutchClark

I don't think wiki or Seth Mydans would spell it "wikidness"....

soistranger ... not 30 mins old and an excellent first post.

You have nailed it.

With this great obversation, how long have you been in Thailand?

BTW ... welcome to Thai Visa ... coffee1.gif

Or perhaps soistranger is a reincarnation of a previously banned member. Only time will tell.

I smile from ear to ear when I find I have more money in my paycheque than I expected.

My smile should not be mistaken for any indication of feelings towards my employers, they are simply a source of money.

Remembering they are simply a source of money ensures I maintain control over our relationship despite dressing nicely for them, doing what they wish and of course smiling as if happy through my working day.

OK guys, I am not the spelling police, just having a chuckle.

And yes, my experience is different, people the world over are different, but in many ways, 'same, same but different'. If you dance with the Devil, it is hard to let go and you will be burned, try breaking the spears, negativity, gloom and tired old repeated doom sayers, and perhaps you will be surprised, and that smile, maybe, just maybe, is exactly what it looks like, and is just a smile.

Also remember, you can't be ripped off without your knowledge and understanding, so if you are ripped off, it is your fault, stop looking for scape goats and excuses for your own stupidity.

OK guys, I am not the spelling police, just having a chuckle.

And yes, my experience is different, people the world over are different, but in many ways, 'same, same but different'. If you dance with the Devil, it is hard to let go and you will be burned, try breaking the spears, negativity, gloom and tired old repeated doom sayers, and perhaps you will be surprised, and that smile, maybe, just maybe, is exactly what it looks like, and is just a smile.

Also remember, you can't be ripped off without your knowledge and understanding, so if you are ripped off, it is your fault, stop looking for scape goats and excuses for your own stupidity.

Yes indeed. that's the most quoted line I heard from returning Isaan-Adventurers on the way back home. It started with a "Thai-Smile".

Cheers.

• Like 1