Casual Bicycling in Chiang Mai

funlovinkid

I recently bought a new hybrid bicycle, and I'm interested in doing some riding around Chiang Mai for fun, exercise, etc. One of the folks living here kindly put me in touch with a group of people who appear to go off-road most of the time, but I've checked out some of the videos they've posted on their website, and the videos make it clear that I really don't want to go off-road much! Roots, rocks, and ruts amid swarming mosquitoes isn't my idea of fun! whistling.gif

Anyway, I've done some road rides already, around CMU, up to and around Huay Tung Tao lake, partway up Doi Suthep to Monthathan Waterfall, etc. This is the kind of road riding I'm interested in - places that have natural beauty, but not too much traffic. Are there any like-minded folks in Chiang Mai that are interested in this kind of bike ride?

I ride with groups occasionally but more often by myself or with someone else for nice 1-2 hr what I like to call social rides. Enjoy the beauty and discover new villages or ride some trails we like. If your interested in checking out the Mae Jo area your welcome to join me and do a ride to your liking.

• Like 1

I also ride a hybrid, Trek 7200 for the past 6 years. Every Thursday 40 kilometers in two hours is my primary goal; cardiovascular exercise my mission. I ride mostly local roads in the Big C (Hang Dong Road) / San Patong / Lamphun triangle. This area is comprised of interconnecting paved roads with villages separated by vast rice paddies. I use a GPS to monitor my location and speed. I also do shorter rides during the week in the same area if I have an hour or so free. Customarily I ride alone.

PM me if you have similar interest and want to see the area.

• Like 1

The area around San Kampaeng, Doi Saket and No Sang is fabulous for casual rides. Good surfaces, minimal traffic and a vast network of interconnected roads and lanes.

Sent from my XT1033 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

For kicks you might want to join the Chiang Mai Sunday Bicycle Club. They meet every Sunday morning at Thapai Gate around 7 am. Pretty electric group and loosely organized routes. Very fun.

I ride with groups occasionally but more often by myself or with someone else for nice 1-2 hr what I like to call social rides. Enjoy the beauty and discover new villages or ride some trails we like. If your interested in checking out the Mae Jo area your welcome to join me and do a ride to your liking.

Thanks, junglechef! I live northwest of the old city (Canal Road - around the convention center and sports complex), so most of my rides have been starting from here. To do a ride in Maejo, I would probably need to get a bike rack for my car (which I might do), and meet you over there sometime for a ride. I'll keep you in mind, and PM you if and when I get a rack. thumbsup.gif

I also ride a hybrid, Trek 7200 for the past 6 years. Every Thursday 40 kilometers in two hours is my primary goal; cardiovascular exercise my mission. I ride mostly local roads in the Big C (Hang Dong Road) / San Patong / Lamphun triangle. This area is comprised of interconnecting paved roads with villages separated by vast rice paddies. I use a GPS to monitor my location and speed. I also do shorter rides during the week in the same area if I have an hour or so free. Customarily I ride alone.

Jollyrog - similar to my reply to junglechef, your area sounds interesting, and thanks for the reply. If I get a car rack I'll PM you so that we can begin a ride in your area.

Speaking of 40 kilometer rides, I just did one yesterday into Mae Rim, very peaceful and beautiful. Love the greenery! Looking forward to cooler weather in October or November for the same reason.

For kicks you might want to join the Chiang Mai Sunday Bicycle Club. They meet every Sunday morning at Thapai Gate around 7 am. Pretty electric group and loosely organized routes. Very fun.

I'll check it out, thanks!

What GPS do you use/recommend,plz?

There are lots of free apps for a smart phone that track the route and lots of other data. I use strava as I can follow my friends, hike and bike and MapMyTracks but there are literally thousands out there.

Check these out to for a start:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/best-iphone-and-android-apps-for-cycling-35227/

• Like 1

GARMIN.......GPS map 60CSx ($200+) with handlebar mount from Garmin Pantip Plaza ..........bought EBAY out of Michigan.........priority mail to my home in Hang Dong insured for $100 .....2 weeks later note from Hang Dong PO to come to PO to pay duty based on $100........200 Baht.

Contacted http://rotweilermaps.com/maps.cfm in BKK for map of Western Thailand (Mae Sai to Phuket).....downloaded to laptop on to 60CSx.

Always carry it with me hiking, in my car traveling, on my motorcycle and always on my bicycle.

Thanks, junglechef! I live northwest of the old city (Canal Road - around the convention center and sports complex), so most of my rides have been starting from here. To do a ride in Maejo, I would probably need to get a bike rack for my car (which I might do), and meet you over there sometime for a ride. I'll keep you in mind, and PM you if and when I get a rack. thumbsup.gif

Yes, the lake near the Sports stadium is great for riding around. Every evening there are 100s of Thais on road/mtb bikes at the back of DoiKham which is essentially a continuation of the CMU agricultural lands. The sad thing is if you live in the City if you want short rides or if you want to avoid traffic you are a bit limited. You could ride from the Convention Centre past the sports stadium and onto the road where all the roadworks are at the moment. Left to mae Rim and then left after the army base. By continuing along here, past Tiger Kingdom, you can get onto the 'prem' road that offers a nice undulating route. Another choice is to follow the Mae Ping after San Patong. Loads of rides, but all a bit further out! 10 miles from the Convention Centre, up the Canal Road south, turn right at the large bend in the road where the new road starts and then there's another whole world of cycling out there. Go explore!

• Like 1

how complicated are the gps thingees to use? I'm not very computer literate, and long complicated operations discourage me. on the other hand, i would be interested in being able to ride more roads without worrying about getting lost. i cycle around wat doi kam area mostly, usually around 30 k or so. thanks for any replies.

I don't use a GPS. I use a basic system which is unique to CM. Doi Suthip mountain. Don't worry when you don't know where you are or sure which way to go. If you can see the mountain you can navigate back to more familiar roads closer to the city. Go explore and stay relaxed the mountain will always guide you back.

I use CycleDroid on my Android smartphone (a Samsung Galaxy S3). CycleDroid is free, and will map your course, calculate your maximum speed, time used, elevation changes, etc. I don't think I can share the plotted maps of my trips with others, though (other than on Facebook), which is a frustrating limitation.

This application appears to use Google maps to plot the course you took, and I'm amazed at how accurate it happens to be. Even minor deviations of 10 - 20 meters are reflected on the map.

Edited by funlovinkid

how complicated are the gps thingees to use? I'm not very computer literate, and long complicated operations discourage me. on the other hand, i would be interested in being able to ride more roads without worrying about getting lost. i cycle around wat doi kam area mostly, usually around 30 k or so. thanks for any replies.

If you already have a smartphone, all you have to do is download one of the free cycling applications to your phone which take advantage of the fact that your smartphone has GPS built-in. For me, I just switch on GPS and Mobile Data, start the app, and go. You can also pause the app if you stop riding to take a break - otherwise, the application would calculate a lower average speed, etc.

I have used the built-in GPS function on my smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S3) along with Google Maps to figure out EXACTLY where I happen to be while riding, many times. As a matter of fact, the confidence this gives me has allowed me to be a lot more adventurous in terms of where I'm willing to go. I have ventured down dirt roads into dark forested areas because Google Maps has indicated that the chosen road would take me where I wanted to go, and I've rarely been disappointed. If unsure, use your instincts: if it appears that the dirt road or trail you're on has had any recent traffic (i.e. motorbike tracks), you're probably fine. If there are a lot of undisturbed leaves and dirt, maybe you're going someplace that leads nowhere. It's my impression that the Thais all know the various ways to get around their local area via motorbike, whether it be on paved or unpaved surfaces, and the well-used trails, dirt roads, and paved roads will be easy to spot. If you're on a paved surface, other than the possibility of an unfriendly dog, the only real danger would be reaching a dead-end and having to turn around, IMHO.