90% people are happier now than they were before the coup

Lite Beer

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree on that topic because I think that the system is working better than before the coup. No one wanted to do something significant to make the situation progressing in a positive way. It seems like everyone was in a conflict against each other and things started to be out of control with many acts of deadly violence. There was no more harmony in Thai nation and people started to lose hope to see the things becoming any better. This period was bad of Thai history. Now I feel safer because there is no more violence and I think that this is a good start to restore the peace and have a social system system in which everyone can live freely and happily.

I am glad that 90% of people are happier now. Good for them.

Well thats 1137.6 of the usual 1264 dusit polls, indeed good on them, only need to ask the other 66,227,862.4 and it might be worth noting.

PS the .4 is a farang almost half way through his PR smile.png

PPS hello Mork calling Orson. Have you been smoking your socks again? im not a PTP fan for the umpteenth time John just trying to get work done in bangers while idiots blocked roads ... some of us work for a living yknow. I know you dont like wrong info and you said you didnt know bangers well and didnt really have a clue so i provided you with a little map to help you get an idea of things, sorry i couldnt find one with actual scale km or compass... be polite and say thank you, its your early xmas present wai2.gif

Were you trying to tell me that is the only roads in Bangkok.

That all the people polled were on those streets.

I have some land in Florida for you at a very reasonable rate. Also a bridge in Brooklyn.

Were you in Bangkok trying to get about during the protests and actually experiencing the troubles and disruptions ?

No you wernt whereas I was and trying to get from east to west and south on a daily basis at times, not fun. I can tell you for certain it was disruptive to the majority of the main center and trade, and the spill over by people having to avoid that area had a marked effect on most other roads that is what i posted your map for.

Sorry but ive been to the states and its off my bucket list but thanks anyway.. you are a rather grumpy chap today, roads busy round your way or something ? .. i can relate to that...

I was here too. The disruption was more of an inconvenience than big nuisance. A few journeys were made much longer and caused some cursing but, to be fair, I never felt threatened by this lot. Unlike in 2010.

Getting to the UN HQ in a taxi one day was the scariest - lots of protesters and their guards walking up a street as we drove slowly, very slowly the opposite way. (Took 4 taxis before one would go there). Went by canal the next day, then tuk tuk. No problems at all.

Well thats 1137.6 of the usual 1264 dusit polls, indeed good on them, only need to ask the other 66,227,862.4 and it might be worth noting.

PS the .4 is a farang almost half way through his PR smile.png

PPS hello Mork calling Orson. Have you been smoking your socks again? im not a PTP fan for the umpteenth time John just trying to get work done in bangers while idiots blocked roads ... some of us work for a living yknow. I know you dont like wrong info and you said you didnt know bangers well and didnt really have a clue so i provided you with a little map to help you get an idea of things, sorry i couldnt find one with actual scale km or compass... be polite and say thank you, its your early xmas present wai2.gif

Were you trying to tell me that is the only roads in Bangkok.

That all the people polled were on those streets.

I have some land in Florida for you at a very reasonable rate. Also a bridge in Brooklyn.

Were you in Bangkok trying to get about during the protests and actually experiencing the troubles and disruptions ?

No you wernt whereas I was and trying to get from east to west and south on a daily basis at times, not fun. I can tell you for certain it was disruptive to the majority of the main center and trade, and the spill over by people having to avoid that area had a marked effect on most other roads that is what i posted your map for.

Sorry but ive been to the states and its off my bucket list but thanks anyway.. you are a rather grumpy chap today, roads busy round your way or something ? .. i can relate to that...

I was here too. The disruption was more of an inconvenience than big nuisance. A few journeys were made much longer and caused some cursing but, to be fair, I never felt threatened by this lot. Unlike in 2010.

Getting to the UN HQ in a taxi one day was the scariest - lots of protesters and their guards walking up a street as we drove slowly, very slowly the opposite way. (Took 4 taxis before one would go there). Went by canal the next day, then tuk tuk. No problems at all.

I think that the traffic difficulties could have been of varying magnitude for different people. Depended on route and given

day, so could be alternate experiences and perspectives on this. Same applies for the the effect on business related travel

vs. "casual".

Threat factor, yes - I think I felt the same, a bit more of that in 2010, crowd rowdier perhaps - but could also have to do with

growing accustomed to it by now smile.png . Foreigner experience in general (Nick Nostitz aside) differs a little compared to Thais,

mostly both groups weren't overly concerned with me, but gave the eye to any Thais who didn't seem to fit in.

90% people are happier now than they were before the coup

One can assume the other 10% preferred or were involved in the daily terrorist attacks? Seems about right when looking at the below hard core red shirt supporters.

Alternatively the 10% we're being honest and not saying what they were being prompted to say?

Or perhaps they never got the free movie tickets.

My feeling is the honeymoon is just about over and the uncertainty about future is again taking hold. The populist happiness campaign is a mistake IMHO. The army has the chance to be heavy handed in fixing the problems, no need for playing Ceasar at the games. Just do it.

I agree with the poll results, people I interact with on a daily basis all say similar..

That has been my own experience and I live in a complete red area of Thailand and they are more than happy the PTP are gone and the Junta are running the show.

Things are getting done.

Interesting. I spent the weekend with my girlfriend's very large extended family in Surin, people whom have shown me a lot of kindness and are certainly not militant, and I would sum up their 'status' as confused and afraid to speak out. It's disheartening. Yeah, they're happy there isn't senseless violence, but that's where the happiness ends.

Of note, one of their favorite stories in the past was how members of the democrat party came around in the run up to the 2011 election offering money (for votes). They laughed as they relayed on how people took the money and still voted PTP. I asked them if Thaksin and the redshirts engaged in vote buying and they told me oh yes, without a doubt. I got the sense that they saw the redshirts as corrupt but the only faction in the government advocating for them or treating them as equals (not ignorant dark skinned hayseeds).

And of course the big question is - if most Thais are more happy and support the junta, why would the the junta need to criminalize any criticism or opposing views?

Edit: For those curious, look up Newin, one of Thaksin's captains and the man who ran the vote buying program -- he defected during the 2010 tensions and guess who he went to work for...???? Suthep.

Edited by ChiangMike