Outrage over Thai tourists 'vandalising' Great Wall of China

webfact

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminds me of a school trip to Canterbury Cathedral when I was a kid. One of our rascals wrote,

"Joe Soap was 'ere",...in the visitors book.........whistling.gif

He got six of the best in front of the whole school...........facepalm.gif ...........sad.png

• Like 2

What always amazes me about Thai graffitti is how unimaginative it is, name and date and that is usually it. It is almost formal and certainly formulaic.

Oh i don't know, i can read Thai and on fathers day i was invited to my step daughters school for the 'fall on your face and grovel at your fathers feet' ceremony, i squirmed with embarrassment. on one of the desks in my daughters classroom one of the kids had neatly engraved one of the Buddhist concepts,but altered of course. 'Think pure thoughts' was turned into, 'Think pure thoughts but do evil'. It was my laugh of the day.

• Like 1

Looking at the dates isn't it kind of late for the faux outrage?

We see graffiti on the walls of some buildings made by roman soldiers and look at it with great interest and historic importance. A hard nylon brush and a bucket of soapy water will remove the 'scar' in a matter of minutes.

there is some graffiti in a cave of a buffalo hunt.....it is very famous. Lucky the caveman boss didn't wash it away 1000000 years ago.

We see graffiti on the walls of some buildings made by roman soldiers and look at it with great interest and historic importance. A hard nylon brush and a bucket of soapy water will remove the 'scar' in a matter of minutes.

I get the feeling that it was written by Farangs to show Thais in bad light

• Like 1

<

Well its been there for 2 years now and it isn't fading. !!!!!!!!

h90 beat me to it below!! I was just about to type saying I got news for you, there are some paintings done with berry juice still not faded that much done half a million years ago. Perhaps where those famous cave paintings are that h90 talks about we should sand blast the walls and get rid of all that crap put on the sides of a perfectly good clean cave by those vandal, hooligan reckless and irresponsible cavemen all those years ago, or the aboriginal rock paintings that those hooligan abbo's left around a million years ago. Didn't they know those rocks were a world heritage site!!!

there is some graffiti in a cave of a buffalo hunt.....it is very famous. Lucky the caveman boss didn't wash it away 1000000 years ago.

For the poster that comments that I am trying to make some sort of excuse for hooligans.........really! I am not. The message I am trying to get across is that there are a gazillion scrawlings on the Great Wall of China by people from almost every country on the planet, and it has been going on since the very first 'Ghengis woz ere'. It is reported on TV that there are TWO such scrawlings from Thai people and the male equivalent of the blue rinse brigade on here see it as the opportunity to slag off an entire nation and damn the people in it, whilst conveniently ignoring the national origins of the other gazillion minus two scrawlings! Get a life people.

• Like 2

Until you take your little Thai honey up to the site and she is not admitted. Funny, never see any graffiti on my favorite wats.

Try googling Great Wall of Chine Grafitti - if there is going to be any banning of nationalities I don't think it is just going to be Thais !

I get the feeling that it was written by Farangs to show Thais in bad light

As captain Main Waring would say, ''Stupid boy'

Well 'Harry' is known for a few little gaffs.

Atleast it's just correction pen, that you can wash away. Does anyone remember the Chinese tourist in Egypt actually scratching in his name in to the stone, that you can't wash away...

Yes, there was a thread about on thaivisa. I am not sure where, but I would guess it would have been in the World News.

Romans, Greeks, British, French, even the original masons of the great pyramid in Egypt scratched their names in various Egyptian monuments over thousands of years

We see graffiti on the walls of some buildings made by roman soldiers and look at it with great interest and historic importance.

Sure..graffiti has enlightened us to the darker secrets of ancient societies. One of which was...

"Sydromachos has an ass as big as a cistern."

That was found at Pompeii. Alas, if that information was available prior to the last century, we could have rectified many present day ills of society.

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 1

I don't think the Great Wall is held in especially high esteem by chinese people. It's old and well known and a tourist attraction but not in any sense 'respected' like a religious site may be. Many sections have been taken apart for the stones, which the locals used to make their nearby house.

There should be a sign in the 5 Principle Languages (UN) warning Desecration or Vandalism of any kind will NOT be tolerated. Install sign like the one at the Gate of Area 51 in Nevada which states ,"Deadly Force is Authorized". Now that's what i call an attention getter! thumbsup.gif

Big deal...they act like it's some sort of temple. It's a wall..get over it (no pun intended) Chinese tourists do a lot worse in Thailand than that. They pollute wherever they go in Thailand, with no regard where they are. In addition, Thais are not the only ones who sign their names on the wall. Why center-out the Thais? The Chinese have been getting a lot of feedback on what they do in China. Sorry China, the saving-face card isn't going to work.

• Like 1

Who goes on holiday with "white correction pens."

Must be someone who works for The Nation newspaper.

Well it's never used to correct mistakes in the newspaper so seems they use it for graffiti.

I did spot a scribble 'Tony and Cherie Blair were here'. I believe they got paid handsomely at the exit gates

Most Thais think the Great Wall of China is a restaurant, and are bitterly disappointed when there are no noodles on offer after struggling up the first 20 metres. Where's a tuk tuk when you need one

Fortunately the Chinese custodians of the Wall couldn't recognise the perpetrators of the graffiti complaining that 'all you foreigners look the same!'

It cost me more to get on the Wall last time. I suggested to the Chinaman on the gate it might be due to currency 'fluctuations'- looking upset he retorted 'fluct u europeans' too

These jokes were around before the Wall was built I believe

I must try to be more 'inscrutable'

Many of the messages were proclamations that certain Thai individuals had been there, accompanied with their names.

I was there too with one of my names.

As my friend says. "The last idiot is still not born" 1zgarz5.gifpost-4641-1156693976.gif

I said this elsewhere, the tourist part of the wall is not an ancient relic.

It was rebuilt in the 50's and 60's. It's a modern day tourist trap.

Anyway this give these idiots not the right to put grafitti on it.

Would you like somebody put this on your House? wink.png