Long weekend holiday coming up

Tywais

Any idea what the Monday holiday is for as nobody else seems to know about it?

It's a substitute day for Wan Khao Phansa which falls on a Saturday. From the notes in the back of my Thaivisa calendar. Also answers the alcohol question. However, since Monday is a substitute day I suspect it doesn't fall into that category. That leaves Friday and Saturday as the formal Buddhist days.

Weekend Public Holidays: Public holidays falling on a Saturday or Sunday are observed on the Monday following.

• Clubs and other places of indulgence are closed on Buddhist Holidays and Royal Holidays like the King/Queen's birthday.

Buddhist Lent Day Tradition
Some Asian countries including Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia celebrate Buddhist Lent Day annually, but it is not a public holiday.

Meanwhile, the Buddhists celebrate the Lent period by holding themselves from eating meat, drinking alcohol, or having cigarettes for three months.

http://publicholiday.org/calendar/buddhist-lent-day/

Some Asian countries including Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia celebrate Buddhist Lent Day annually, but it is not a public holiday.

Meanwhile, the Buddhists celebrate the Lent period by holding themselves from eating meat, drinking alcohol, or having cigarettes for three months.

I'd be careful about some of these travel sites as they don't always get it right. The two days I stated are indeed government holidays based on the university information and a Thai calendar marking them in red. Plus if you check the CM online queue site for those days, 11th & 14th, it states closed for public holiday.

555! What percent succeed? A noble endeavour non the less. I will fail. Got a big weekend planned 1.8.14~. Edited by arunsakda

My local beer shop will be closed July 11-14. But I am not sure if all alcohol sells are forbidden for all four of those days.

11th and 12th are no booze days I believe.

That's what the posted warning signs in Friendship Supermarket (Pattaya) tell us.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Any idea what the Monday holiday is for as nobody else seems to know about it?

Queen's Birthday...celebrate 2 days this year if I am not mistaken

Queen's birthday is next month. That'll be another 4 day weekend!

My local beer shop will be closed July 11-14. But I am not sure if all alcohol sells are forbidden for all four of those days.

Try the numerous mom 'n' pop stores, some of the will sell alcohol, or just stock up.

555! What percent succeed? A noble endeavour non the less. I will fail. Got a big weekend planned 1.8.14~.

Three hours might be more attainable for many.

Some "celebration". You gotta be tough to be a Buddhist, I guess.

oh no the hordes will be travelling killer on the road his brain is squirming like a toad

... and when he arrives at his hotel, 10 up to a room, he shall make more noise than a bus load!

Oh I can't wait for the long weekend.

Edited by lostmebike

Unbelievable. What is this obsession with can I buy alcohol every time a religious holiday comes up?

Just do as the natives do..... get your booze in beforehand, act like a good Buddhist for a day or two and then back to normal afterwards.

What could be easier!

• Like 1

Unbelievable. What is this obsession with can I buy alcohol every time a religious holiday comes up?

Just do as the natives do..... get your booze in beforehand, act like a good Buddhist for a day or two and then back to normal afterwards.

What could be easier!

Agreed. Mass panic every time there is a religious holiday. How difficult can it be going to a shop the day before?

On the Friday, many people like to go to the temple and do those balloon wish thingys so it's a great photo op

for those who like photography. At least I think it's Friday as my fellow Thai teachers often get the details fuzzy.