Chinese French Italian or Westen food in Ubon ratchathani

Arthur Jones

The OP asked about Chinese restaurants. Has anyone ever been to Hongfah? I must have driven past it a few hundred times but have never dropped in.

https://plus.google.com/117367316607802546014/about?hl=en&gl=au

I went there once last month. I pass by there almost daily. They also claim international food on one of there signs.

Well, what can I say MeMock? You should drive by there a few hundred more times. It is an only chinese restaurant. The whole restaurant has a strange vibe to it and the food is not good at all.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I somehow forgot one...

TC Kitchen.  I've had there pies and fish & chips several times and both are great.  Lance makes some really good bread too.  Located next to Lai Thong hotel.

Don't forget his curries as well especially the Vindaloo. Lance had my girlfriend's lips burning all night.

• 3 weeks later...

Y'loft - New Bistro

At few of us Ubon hashers tried out a new western bistro in Ubon on Saturday. Suggestion was by 'Viking Ghettomaster' (Bergen), which turned out to be a good call.

Two story, urban chic new build within the Big C plaza area. Style is Greenwich Village/City (London) warehouse with exposed bricks and comfy sofa-style seats. Indie rock playing (good ie not loud level). Albeit 10 year ago style for US/EU, it was nicely done, good ambience and lots of the smart and sexy Thais (late twenties/thirties, not students).

You could eat very expensively or there were a number of dishes in the 200 baht region (most of the reasonably extensive list of Thai dishes were at that level). Examples of the falang food we ate:

Basket of mixed fried foods (reasonably substantial) 300 baht

Tenderloin steak, (small 5oz? delicious and succulent piece of non-Thai beef wrapped in nice streaky bacon on a bed of mash with al dente veg. Jus on the side 450 baht

Spicy seafood spaghetti 200 baht

Bottle of (good) Argentine cab sauv 1,200 baht

Service - smart polite tuxed young men at table. Lots of rough edges still being trained into them, but not enough to put me off going again. The clearly experienced and affable Thai maitre'D will get them knocked into shape.

A very nice central peninsula bar on the ground floor - impressively stocked with worldwide spirits, some at breathtaking prices but the standards were just modestly expensive. You could call by for just a few drinks I think.

I recommend it highly for a special occasion (or regular use if you're prepared to pay for good food). Your wife or other is gonna be impressed.

Directions: proceed north up Chayangkhul and turn left at McDonalds, as though going to Big C. Immediately (50 metres) take the first left - you will see Y'Loft ahead of you as you turn. Tel: 087 8383883

Feel free to add your own take, Bergen

• Like 1

Y'loft - New Bistro

At few of us Ubon hashers tried out a new western bistro in Ubon on Saturday. Suggestion was by 'Viking Ghettomaster' (Bergen), which turned out to be a good call.

Two story, urban chic new build within the Big C plaza area. Style is Greenwich Village/City (London) warehouse with exposed bricks and comfy sofa-style seats. Indie rock playing (good ie not loud level). Albeit 10 year ago style for US/EU, it was nicely done, good ambience and lots of the smart and sexy Thais (late twenties/thirties, not students).

You could eat very expensively or there were a number of dishes in the 200 baht region (most of the reasonably extensive list of Thai dishes were at that level). Examples of the falang food we ate:

Basket of mixed fried foods (reasonably substantial) 300 baht

Tenderloin steak, (small 5oz? delicious and succulent piece of non-Thai beef wrapped in nice streaky bacon on a bed of mash with al dente veg. Jus on the side 450 baht

Spicy seafood spaghetti 200 baht

Bottle of (good) Argentine cab sauv 1,200 baht

Service - smart polite tuxed young men at table. Lots of rough edges still being trained into them, but not enough to put me off going again. The clearly experienced and affable Thai maitre'D will get them knocked into shape.

A very nice central peninsula bar on the ground floor - impressively stocked with worldwide spirits, some at breathtaking prices but the standards were just modestly expensive. You could call by for just a few drinks I think.

I recommend it highly for a special occasion (or regular use if you're prepared to pay for good food). Your wife or other is gonna be impressed.

Directions: proceed north up Chayangkhul and turn left at McDonalds, as though going to Big C. Immediately (50 metres) take the first left - you will see Y'Loft ahead of you as you turn. Tel: 087 8383883

Feel free to add your own take, Bergen

I think you you've covered it all. First up market restaurant in town with a decent bar! I'll be back!! burp.gif

Well John, Peppers may very well have the best breakfast anywhere, but in my experience it has never been opened at breakfast time. Not once. I have tried popping in at 6 am, 6:30 am, 7 am and even as really late as 7:30 am. Never once has Pepppers been open for breakfast. As far as I am concerned Peppers is a no-go for breakfast for us workers.

Geeeze mate, your a glutton for punishment aren't ya! Fancy going back to the same joint four times only to always find it always closed. Bit silly eh?

Maybe it's on his way to work?

I somehow forgot one...

TC Kitchen.  I've had there pies and fish & chips several times and both are great.  Lance makes some really good bread too.  Located next to Lai Thong hotel.

Self deleted after five seconds/

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1

I somehow forgot one...

Self deleted after five seconds/

Funny that (peculiar). Wrote a reply myself at the time but deleted it before sending!

• Like 2

Arthur - have you heard of Trip Advisor before?

Look it up to find Spago for Italian and the Outside Inn for Mexican plus many others.

outside in for mexican..no...its not that good...honestly its not..sorry i didnt rate it at all...wai2.gif

• Like 1

Look it up to find Spago for Italian and the Outside Inn for Mexican plus many others.

outside in for mexican..no...its not that good...honestly its not..sorry i didnt rate it at all...wai2.gif
Most seem to enjoy it there but it's impossible to please everyone, I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
  • Like 2

Most seem to enjoy it there but it's impossible to please everyone, I suppose.

obviously...when you have had real mexican food you would know the difference...thumbsup.gif

Like most Mexican restaurants run by Americans (and most Mexican restaurants in America) it's Tex-Mex style food not real Mexican.

If you've lived in Texas like me (and travelled to Mexico and eaten real Mexican) you would know the difference:thumbsup:

Not bad in my book, given how difficult it must be to source some of the ingredients. Noones gonna say Tex-Mex is gourmet food.
[/quote]

I work for a Mexican company. I took my boss to the Outside Inn in March. He repeatedly asked if such and such food was made with these ingredients or not. They were. He gave it the "thumbs up".

Like most Mexican restaurants run by Americans (and most Mexican restaurants in America) it's Tex-Mex style food not real Mexican.

If you've lived in Texas like me (and travelled to Mexico and eaten real Mexican) you would know the difference:thumbsup:

Not bad in my book, given how difficult it must be to source some of the ingredients. Noones gonna say Tex-Mex is gourmet food.
[/quote]

I work for a Mexican company. I took my boss to the Outside Inn in March. He repeatedly asked if such and such food was made with these ingredients or not. They were. He gave it the "thumbs up".

So then that's decided! it's good! laugh.png

• Like 2

Btw, went to Risotto in their new location (in a soi across from Rajawej Hospital) about a week ago. Had pepperoni pizza which was ok, and their menu seemed to be similar (or the same) as before. The place looked nice, beer was cold and I'll visit again!   smile.png

Oliver Giroud's goal was one of the best I've seen ... certainly up for goal of the season ... where did that come from ... goalie was at full stretch .. beautiful dip.

A stab in the dark might suggest this is in the wrong thread???

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Oliver Giroud's goal was one of the best I've seen ... certainly up for goal of the season ... where did that come from ... goalie was at full stretch .. beautiful dip.

A stab in the dark might suggest this is in the wrong thread???

Sorry ... Santi's avatar threw me!!!!

WrongWay is OK! - Decent pub food, cold beer, wine, spirits, friendly people, but loosers have to pay at the pool table.............. laugh.png

Edited by bergen

Yloft is open every evening from 5 pm to 11 pm. No lunches.

That's very handy to know.

I will make sure that I don't turn up at 12 noon for a workers lunch and then when I can't get one complain on Thai Visa about it.

• Like 2

I dined at Yloft last evening. A wonderful restaurant for Ubon. In my twenty years of living here I certainly did not think a restaurant like this would open up in Ubon.

We arrived at 6 pm. Greeted at the door by very smartly dressed young people. Did we have at booking? they inquired. A booking in Ubon!

A table was found for us three upstairs in a private room. The place was packed. I dont know if there is a dress code but everyone, and I mean everyone, were very well dressed. I did not see any shorts or T shirts on the guys.

We struck Happy hour. Buy one cocktail, get another free. We had six. Buy three glasses of wine and pay for two and so on. Happy hour runs until 8 pm.

Tremendous range of food. We ordered a Yloft duck salad, NZ mussels, Tenderloin steak, Grilled sea bass steak, German pork legs and for dessert apple strudel.

Food was very presented on white rectangular or square plates. Empty plates were quickly taken away (just like in Spago).

I am not a cocktail expert, but my margarita was not as good as at Outside Inn.

When we left at 8 pm, people were waiting outside for a table.

Because it was Mothers Day long weekend, there was a 20% discount

where is y loft situated, sounds interesting

scottydrunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.gif

I dined at Yloft last evening. A wonderful restaurant for Ubon. In my twenty years of living here I certainly did not think a restaurant like this would open up in Ubon.

We arrived at 6 pm. Greeted at the door by very smartly dressed young people. Did we have at booking? they inquired. A booking in Ubon!

A table was found for us three upstairs in a private room. The place was packed. I dont know if there is a dress code but everyone, and I mean everyone, were very well dressed. I did not see any shorts or T shirts on the guys.

We struck Happy hour. Buy one cocktail, get another free. We had six. Buy three glasses of wine and pay for two and so on. Happy hour runs until 8 pm.

Tremendous range of food. We ordered a Yloft duck salad, NZ mussels, Tenderloin steak, Grilled sea bass steak, German pork legs and for dessert apple strudel.

Food was very presented on white rectangular or square plates. Empty plates were quickly taken away (just like in Spago).

I am not a cocktail expert, but my margarita was not as good as at Outside Inn.

When we left at 8 pm, people were waiting outside for a table.

Because it was Mothers Day long weekend, there was a 20% discount

where is y loft situated, sounds interesting

Scottydrunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.gif

As mentioned before whistling.gif go North on Chayangkun (main) rd, turn left into Big C, pass Mcburger, first left and you'll be there...............biggrin.png

Edited by bergen

Thought so! (I agree with the comment nonetheless - a WOW goal). Now back to non-Thai food in Ubon ....

But please not the -deleted- place.

Why? What's wrong with TC Bar. Good english grub, good people, good beer, good haircut next door ... the list is endless