What brand helmet

Preferred helmet manufacturer  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

from my own experience, I recommend these:

- Shark Speed R, with sun Visor, most of inner linings washable, d-ring strap, 1.5KG. (11,000 Baht)

- Shark Race R Pro, Carbon Fiber 1.2Kg, most of inner linings washable, d-ring strap. (16,000-18,000 Baht)

My G/F is now using my AGV K3, I can say that this helmet is really disappointing.

it's an imported helmet, so it's taxed and a bit overpriced.

Nolan also seems to fit similar to AGV

Edited by brfsa2

I've crashed a few times and having the helmet take a strong knock.

First time I was wearing a FM helmet, fibreglass shell, mid-range British make, part of the now defunct Frank Thomas marque. The chin bar hit the gutter line of a car that pulled a u turn in front of me. Car and bike were written off and I broke my collar bone. The helmet had cracks in the shell but I only got a small bruise on my chin.

That is why I will say that any full face helmet is better than any open one, regardless of brand.

Since then I have crashed on the track and clonked my swede in both Shoei and Arai helmets, they both did their job, but my head seems to prefer Arai (shame as my wallet does not...)

When I first started riding Shoei was great for me.

Then I got into pocketbike racing where I crashed several times a night.

So I tried HJC which is a similar fit and much cheaper.

Then I was getting tossed off the dirtbike all the time.

So I just go with anything ~4000baht or less as long as it has some safety certification.

I have an AFX motard helmet but its not for round heads so I never wear it.

I got a Bilmola and it fits close to a Shoei, was cheap, and has the nice half sunglass visor under the clear one.

I use an Arai GP6 which is a car racing helmet.

It has a really simple and effective visor mechanism and a 4mm thick visor which is close to rigid.

It has slightly less peripheral vision but I don't find that a problem.

In the past I had an Arai RX7 which had lots of vents that seemed to do little other than generate wind noise. It also had a fairly crappy visor system but that seems to be true for most modern bike helmets I have seen.

My previous and current MX helmet is Bell.

For the street bike I bought Nolan N104 because it's one of a few available modular helmets. I have a big head and it's so easy to get it on/off.

Related to this topic of helmet, what do you guys think, do Rescue volunteers / paramedics here know how to safely remove a helmet from an injured rider?

I was trying out some helmets and liked the Shark Race R Pro but it was extremely tight to put on as well as remove. Once in place it felt just right though, pretty snug, without pressure points and a good fit to my head shape. But it got me wondering about what would happen if someone else needed to remove the helmet from me..

Related to this topic of helmet, what do you guys think, do Rescue volunteers / paramedics here know how to safely remove a helmet from an injured rider?

I was trying out some helmets and liked the Shark Race R Pro but it was extremely tight to put on as well as remove. Once in place it felt just right though, pretty snug, without pressure points and a good fit to my head shape. But it got me wondering about what would happen if someone else needed to remove the helmet from me..

Good point.

I remember reading somewhere that they have a special training to paramedics and doctors especially the ones working on tracks and racing events for safely remove the helmet and other gear. I don't expect this in Thailand.

Shoe has emergency quick release system on their helmets called EQRS.

http://shoei-helmets.com/Videos.aspx?v=18&tab=Tech_Tips

Good point.

I remember reading somewhere that they have a special training to paramedics and doctors especially the ones working on tracks and racing events for safely remove the helmet and other gear. I don't expect this in Thailand.

That's a good mechanism, assuming the person removing the helmet uses it rather than yank on the helmet.. ouch! I can't find a similar mechanism for Shark.

I also liked the Shoei NXR but it's yet to be rated by Sharp. The GT-Air got a disappointing rating of just 3 stars..

Good point.

That's a good mechanism, assuming the person removing the helmet uses it rather than yank on the helmet.. ouch! I can't find a similar mechanism for Shark.

I also liked the Shoei NXR but it's yet to be rated by Sharp. The GT-Air got a disappointing rating of just 3 stars..

Only Shoei and Arai have it and it is an excellent feature.

Never Ever remove or let the Thai body snatchers remove someone's helmet.

It should only be done once the injured person is at a hospital by properly trained medical staff with all medical facilities available. Reason being if there is a serious skull fracture the helmet will keep everything in place.

Good point.

Only Shoei and Arai have it and it is an excellent feature.

Never Ever remove or let the Thai body snatchers remove someone's helmet.

It should only be done once the injured person is at a hospital by properly trained medical staff with all medical facilities available. Reason being if there is a serious skull fracture the helmet will keep everything in place.

Generally speaking yes you are right but in some cases there is no choice, if the person has obvious breathing difficulties, blocked airways, or not breathing at all. By the time they get to hospital it may be too late.

That is another special feature in the Scorpion Helmet I bought

But of course it will rely on the ability of the rescue people to see it & use it

but... It has an

Emergency Release System - Tabs located under the neck roll allow easy removal of the cheek-pads in case of emergency

that I liked although there are many nice features to this helmet

Titanium D rings, Air pump check-pads, excellent air flow, rock stable at speed, Ever Clear treated shields ( they give 2 clear & dark)

Comes with great padded carry bags 1 for helmet & even one for spare shield + some other nice features not least of which

is incredible comfort like a pillow against your head smile.png

Edited by mania

I find the Real's to be of good construction and affordable. Are both DOT and TIS certified (at least has the logos) so that makes me at least feel safer about them. Back home I wore SHOIE's.

Interesting to note that non-TIS (The Industrial Standard) helmets (Snell, ECE, DOT) are not legal in Thailand.

Yep, all the expensive helmets (e.g. on the PandaRider website) are sold "for racing only". Guess this doesnt include racing on public streets laugh.png

Agree with you, the Real helmets are very good quality for the price. Imo Real does a good job offering "real helmets" for a price even most Thais can afford (if they want).

Of course I would completely ignore that fact if you want to wear an ECE, Snell, or DOT helmet in Thailand. No Thai policeman will ever know the difference.

• 1 year later...

Good point.

The Shoei NXR is now rated by Sharp. Here is the link. http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testsratings/shoei-nxr

Depends on the riding you do, but for me the Caberg Tourmax (dual sport) as been the best. One of the best safety ratings, and while some will argue the material it is made from and its longevity, I typically renew after two years anyway.

Owned Nexx, never again! Shoei and Arai in the past. Unless they bring a decent adventure helmet worth its price with safety and not sell on the material it's made from, then I'd reconsider.

I've had the schuberth SR1 for a number of months, for me it's very quiet, with good ventilation points, inside padding feels a little tight but at the same time comfortable, ok that's compared to my previous one which was a "Real", I know I'm comparing between a low cost helmet to a higher cost, but delighted with the change anyway