Kalasin forest reserve 'claimed for farms and homes'

webfact

Kalasin forest reserve 'claimed for farms and homes'
The Nation

30237983-02_big.jpg

KALASIN: -- More than 10,000 rai of a forest reserve has allegedly been converted into plantations and housing areas in the Phuphan mountain range in Sam Chai district in Kalasin, prompting the Army and provincial administrators to investigate.

Third Calvary Division chief Maj-General Nitinai Peemayothin ordered Army officials to join Sam Chai district chief Kanok Sriwichainan to inspect a forest reserve in Ban Dam Mek, tambon Samran, following reports of encroachment to grow tapioca and rubber trees, and to build houses.

They initially found that trees along a 20km section of road to the village had been cut down and people were growing crops on 50 to 100 rai per person, while others had claimed between 300 to 500 rai of mountainous land.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Kalasin-forest-reserve-claimed-for-farms-and-homes-30237983.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-08

Just the tip of the iceberg, millions and millions of poor Thai are so called "encroaching on government land". Many have paid a local for the land, many have the transaction recorded with the village leader and very many have been using it as their own for a very long time. Many have even had the land surveyed by the government and applied for deeds but so far every politician has failed to deliver the deeds, with a few exceptions. I heard that over 90% of Thailand's land is still not yet nationally deeded.

Sending in government workers to cut down the trees these people have planted and cared for in a nation that lacks timber seems highly counter productive. Many areas are subject to floods and land slides due to a lack of trees. All trees are valuable to Thailand and should be left alone whether they are deemed illegal by the government or not as the trees are not a threat to Thailand and tax payer money should not be spent to destroy trees. More trees need to be planted and there are many corn fields on the mountain that would be far better planted in trees of any kind.

Government fees for issuing deeds plus real estate tax could be a huge source of revenue for the government, would not cost it a single baht plus would please millions of voters. I look for the government to figure this out soon.

• Like 1

Just the tip of the iceberg, millions and millions of poor Thai are so called "encroaching on government land". Many have paid a local for the land, many have the transaction recorded with the village leader and very many have been using it as their own for a very long time. Many have even had the land surveyed by the government and applied for deeds but so far every politician has failed to deliver the deeds, with a few exceptions. I heard that over 90% of Thailand's land is still not yet nationally deeded.
Sending in government workers to cut down the trees these people have planted and cared for in a nation that lacks timber seems highly counter productive. Many areas are subject to floods and land slides due to a lack of trees. All trees are valuable to Thailand and should be left alone whether they are deemed illegal by the government or not as the trees are not a threat to Thailand and tax payer money should not be spent to destroy trees. More trees need to be planted and there are many corn fields on the mountain that would be far better planted in trees of any kind.
Government fees for issuing deeds plus real estate tax could be a huge source of revenue for the government, would not cost it a single baht plus would please millions of voters. I look for the government to figure this out soon.

A complex and messy situation created by greed, lies & corruption. Oh, yes and landless people too. Like the illegal esorts which should be turned into forest education centres rather than being bulldozed, the crops should go but any suitable trees (if any) should remain. Thailand has a long way to catchup in addressing poverty, landless people & tenant farmer rents.

• Like 1

I see Mr. T owns resorts and the whole southern tip of Koh Chang, even some of the mini islets, which i thought were National park.

If it is the same Mt T we usually speak of, he apparently also owns (directly or indirectly - whatever name is on the title) a huge block in Chonburi, thousands of rai between Ban Bueng and Phanat Nikhom, currently under development into a new town & commercial centre.

The trees are probably euca,and these should be pulled out.Thais tell me,an Ozzy that euca came from Thailand.I told them to show me a 200+year old tree.Still looking.