Honda CBR250R 2012 Idle issue

ja99

I recently traded my PCX on a 2012 CBR250R ABS bike and am generally finding the bike to be excellent apart from a slight issue with the bike stalling when going from idle in neutral to engaging first gear. It doesn't happen every time but often enough to be annoying, when the bike is hot or cold. A couple of light throttle twists first, seem to help. I read somewhere else this is not exactly uncommon. I thought perhaps it is the Shell 91 fuel i have been using?

Any info appreciated, and just for the record here is the text from the CBR250R 2011 manual on the issue of fuel use:

Use unleaded petrol with a research octane number of 91 or higher.
If you decide to use a petrol containing  alcohol (gasohol), be sure it’s octane rating is at least as high as that recommended by
Honda. There are two types of ‘‘gasohol’’: one containing ethanol, and the other containing methanol. Do not use petrol that
contains more than 10 % ethanol. Do not use petrol containing methanol (methyl or wood alcohol) that does not also contain
cosolvents and corrosion inhibitors for methanol. Never use petrol containing more than 5 % methanol, even if it has cosolvents
and corrosion inhibitors.
The use of petrol containing more than 10 % ethanol (or more than 5 % methanol) may: Damage the painting of the fuel tank.
Damage the rubber tubes of the fuel line. Cause corrosion of the fuel tank. Cause poor drivability.
Before buying fuel from an unfamiliar station, try to find out if the fuel contains alcohol. If it does, confirm the type and
percentage of alcohol used. If you notice any undesirable operating symptoms while using a petrol that contains alcohol, or one
that you think contains alcohol, switch to a petrol that you know does not contain alcohol

smile.png

Dont think so it ia about fuel. But i was uaing shell v power 95 on my cbr250 and it was running like a dream.
Maybe something about clutch or cables?
How many kms is your bike?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Where did you get that information about fuel. Certainly not from the manual provided here in Thailand. The Thai CBR is capable of taking E20. What you describe did happen a few times on my old one.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Dont think so it ia about fuel. But i was uaing shell v power 95 on my cbr250 and it was running like a dream.

Just over 8500kms on it, I have put 500 on it in 2 weeks..

i never had the problem you mentioned. check the clutch and cables.

Where did you get that information about fuel. Certainly not from the manual provided here in Thailand. The Thai CBR is capable of taking E20. What you describe did happen a few times on my old one.

That extract taken from the English Pdf Owner's Manual available on the web, it is copyright 2010, so maybe it is no longer applcable. The paper Thai Owners manual came with the bike lists on the cover fuel types 95 - E10, E20; 91 E10 and 91.

So it looks like E20 to be used only with 95 rating.

I thought is was clutch-related at first too and maybe I should have mentioned this, but it can happen without engaging the clutch after start up and a throttle twist. Maybe crap in the injector more likely?

Ohhh I just remembered .. on my old Cbr it would sometimes stall like you describe .and occasionally the engine would hunt. it was not used every day. After I put a new battery on it was cured.. at about 700b for an after market battery it may be an option.

Ohhh I just remembered .. on my old Cbr it would sometimes stall like you describe .and occasionally the engine would hunt. it was not used every day. After I put a new battery on it was cured.. at about 700b for an after market battery it may be an option.

Ta for that, the engine was a bit sluggish when I first got it, presumably from sitting in the shop for a while, but didn't appear to be battery related as it always fired up first time. A few good runs have livened it up, revs more freely and returns over 30kms per liter which is tremendous! Looking forward to the next visa run to Burma on it..

Buy a bottle of fuel system cleaner from Tesco and bung in the appropriate amount. Ride it until the tank is empty. If the math works and you only use half the first time repeat.

Looking forward to the next visa run to Burma on it..

Can you still do visa runs to Burma? I guess if you have multiple tourist visas? Edited by VocalNeal

I use E20 in my CBR250. No problemas smile.png

attachicon.gifE20.jpg

Lancelot, So that'd be 95 rated E20 as per the manual pic you included?

Correct.

E20 is 80% 95 octane gasoline blended with 20% ethyl alcohol.

But she also runs well on Gasohol 91 :)

E20 is sold at a discount of 2.5 baht, compared with Gasohol 91 (90% 91 octane gasoline blended with 10% alcohol)

I use E20 in my CBR250. No problemas smile.png

attachicon.gifE20.jpg

Lancelot, So that'd be 95 rated E20 as per the manual pic you included?

Correct.

E20 is 80% 95 octane gasoline blended with 20% ethyl alcohol.

But she also runs well on Gasohol 91 smile.png

E20 is sold at a discount of 2.5 baht, compared with Gasohol 91 (90% 91 octane gasoline blended with 10% alcohol)

Think I'll try the Shell Nitro next fill for a while and see how it goes..

Buy a bottle of fuel system cleaner from Tesco and bung in the appropriate amount. Ride it until the tank is empty. If the math works and you only use half the first time repeat.

Looking forward to the next visa run to Burma on it..

Can you still do visa runs to Burma? I guess if you have multiple tourist visas?

I am on non-immigrant O visa which should be good for another 3 months entry as per the past..

I would always use Shell (either E10 / 91 , E10 / 95 or "Nitro".I wouldnt use ANY E 20. Fuel injector/system cleaner will help. The problem may be a "dragging" clutch caused by gum/varnish  on the clutch plates.  Treat it to an oil change , using a good oil , such as Castrol.

I would always use Shell (either E10 / 91 , E10 / 95 or "Nitro".I wouldnt use ANY E 20. Fuel injector/system cleaner will help. The problem may be a "dragging" clutch caused by gum/varnish  on the clutch plates.  Treat it to an oil change , using a good oil , such as Castrol.

The clutch does sound a bit noisy when not engaged in neutral, so you could be right with that suggestion. Shell E10 91 doesn't seem to help..

When you said it happens when shifting from Neutral, I thought it might be the kickstand switch, could be it if it's sticking or loose or whatever. They're cheap and should be easy to replace.

When you said it happens when shifting from Neutral, I thought it might be the kickstand switch, could be it if it's sticking or loose or whatever. They're cheap and should be easy to replace.

This one not fitted with a kickstand switch..

Same here, and i still have mine.  21.000 trouble free kilometers.biggrin.png

I don't know CBRs but this sounds pretty unsafe for 2011 bike, a lot of much older bikes have this switch, so are you sure there's no switch?

I don't know CBRs but this sounds pretty unsafe for 2011 bike, a lot of much older bikes have this switch, so are you sure there's no switch?

Nope. No switch on Thai bikes.. 2012 American bikes do (I think)

Not quite a correct statement, there is a switch on my Thai Ninja bike.

Did you mean to say there's no switch on Thai CBR bikes?

Back to the topic - if there's no switch then it's something else, very likely something gummed up from bike being sitting for a while. As someone else suggested, try running some cleaner through the tank.

[quote name="Shurup" post="8076142" timestamp="1404888443"][quote name="casualbiker" post="8076026" timestamp="1404886870"] [quote name="Shurup" post="8075956" timestamp="1404886205"] [quote name="ja99" post="8075789" timestamp="1404884223"] [quote name="Shurup" post="8075656" timestamp="1404882898"]When you said it happens when shifting from Neutral, I thought it might be the kickstand switch, could be it if it's sticking or loose or whatever. They're cheap and should be easy to replace.[/quote] 
 [/quote]I don't know CBRs but this sounds pretty unsafe for 2011 bike, a lot of much older bikes have this switch, so are you sure there's no switch?[/quote]

[/quote]
Not quite a correct statement, there is a switch on my Thai Ninja bike.
Did you mean to say there's no switch on Thai CBR bikes?

Back to the topic - if there's no switch then it's something else, very likely something gummed up from bike being sitting for a while. As someone else suggested, try running some cleaner through the tank.[/quote]

Considering the topic title .. what do you think?????

Not to derail the thread ,my cbr250 battery is on its way out ,Just been quoted 2200 baht for a new one .Seems rather pricey anyone purchased a new battery for there bike and if so how much ? .Cheers

If you have checked in the other areas (switch , clutch adjustment , fuel system / injector needing a good clean) then consider adding an "engine flush" additive before the oil change Just follow the instructions or run the bike around for the day. Motol do a good one. Oil passage-ways may be "varnished" or gummed/partly blocked. Use a good oil.Even a standard engine will bnefit from a fully synthetic BIKE oil. EDIT  Sorry - forgot , battery will be about 1200 Baht. Try Varta orYuasa. Dont buy the cheapest.

Edited by nigel jeffrey
  • Like 1

Not to derail the thread ,my cbr250 battery is on its way out ,Just been quoted 2200 baht for a new one .Seems rather pricey anyone purchased a new battery for there bike and if so how much ? .Cheers

700b from local bike shop. Generic brand. Coyote I think.. works great.

And OP I really think a new battery will sort it!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app Edited by casualbiker

2200 is that from a Honda dealer?  I paid 1500 hundred for mine from a local bike shop.