5-year driving licence renewal - what time do you have to arrive at the transport office?

pete66

Since they changed the driving test last month, I think I am right in saying they changed the requirements for the 5-year licence renewal as well? So that you now have to do the reaction test again, and sit through another video, instead of the previous system where it was just a document processing job that could be done at any time of the day.

If this is true, does this mean I need to turn up at a specific time in the morning to do the "renewal course"? Is there more than one course a day? e.g. morning and afternoon.

Any advice appreciated from someone that has done a 5-year renewal since the laws were updated.

tia

I think I am right in saying they changed the requirements for the 5-year licence renewal as well? So that you now have to do the reaction test again, and sit through another video, instead of the previous system where it was just a document processing job that could be done at any time of the day.

The requirements 5 years ago for the 5 year renewal was the same as you show above as I renewed over 5 years ago (got nearly 6 years - 1 day) and due end of year. That is, it was not just a document processing job 5 years ago.

There are 2 sessions. 9.30am or 13.00pm.

Printed on the form given to me by the very pleasant reception girl.She crossed out the medical certificate requirement which I think has been stated before

I was told, only yesterday, to be there at least 15 minutes before either.

Colour blind and reaction test plus an hour video on how to drive in Thailand,can't wait,

Printed on the form given to me by the very pleasant reception girl.She crossed out the medical certificate requirement which I think has been stated before

Colour blind and reaction test plus an hour video on how to drive in Thailand,can't wait,

Sparkles was this for a 5 year renewal or a new licence? For my 5 year renewal I only had to do the traffic light colour blind / reaction test - no need for any videos or anything else

re

So that you now have to do the reaction test again, and sit through another video,

i had to do the red green yellow lights test and sit through the hour video a few weeks ago

but that was on that day ... tomorrow it may be different ?

re

If this is true, does this mean I need to turn up at a specific time in the morning to do the "renewal course"? Is there more than one course a day? e.g. morning and afternoon.

arrive at 9 30 or 1 pm :)

dave2

ps .. i thought the photo lady was doing a nice head and shoulders pic of me like the last one

but what she produced was from about six inches above my head to my navel including my gut ! ... zoom obviously broken ;(

post-42592-0-15625700-1404815339_thumb.j

re

So that you now have to do the reaction test again, and sit through another video,

i had to do the red green yellow lights test and sit through the hour video a few weeks ago

but that was on that day ... tomorrow it may be different ?

re

arrive at 9 30 or 1 pm :)

dave2

ps .. i thought the photo lady was doing a nice head and shoulders pic of me like the last one

but what she produced was from about six inches above my head to my navel including my gut ! ... zoom obviously broken ;(

Definitely differs day to day - here is the sheet I was given ;)

post-62844-1404817420822_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the replies, didn't expect so many!!

I'll go for the 1pm session, get there about midday. A much more pleasant place to be in than the pitiful CM immigration zoo - not just the size, but the staff are way friendlier and more helpful.

Guess its because its built by Thais for Thais tongue.png

Probably very silly question, but since they seem to need photocopies of everything, there's a photocopier there right?

Edited by pete66

Thanks for all the replies, didn't expect so many!!

I'll go for the 1pm session, get there about midday. A much more pleasant place to be in than the pitiful CM immigration zoo - not just the size, but the staff are way friendlier and more helpful.

Guess its because its built by Thais for Thais tongue.png

Probably very silly question, but since they seem to need photocopies of everything, there's a photocopier there right?

There was 4 years ago - far left corner of ground floor, if you enter from main entrance.

do please report back how you go on. probably all changed by the time I go next year.....

re

Definitely differs day to day - here is the sheet I was given

well ill be ###### ... amazing thailand :(

re

do please report back how you go on. probably all changed by the time I go

tomorrow :(

dave2

post-42592-0-88036500-1404822233_thumb.j

Did my renewal yesterday-no tests, only papers. My mistake to arrive just before 12 noon when ALL 'operators' went to lunch simultaneously.

If I had been more sensible I would have been out in half the time- probably 30 mins at a guess. I dont like early mornings and 2.30 would probably be better for me.

I did the 5 year renewal on 30th June this year

I arrived at just after 09:00 and was on my way by 09:20

The only test I was required to do was to call out the colours on a traffic light

Hope this helps

I arrived (May 15th) at 8.30am, with a queue coming down the stairs and out the front, we were done just after noon.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

The only test I was required to do was to call out the colours on a traffic light

Hope this helps

I arrived (May 15th) at 8.30am, with a queue coming down the stairs and out the front, we were done just after noon.

Had they announced the new stricter driving test by then? That might explain it.

Hope this helps

Had they announced the new stricter driving test by then? That might explain it.

I understand that the new driving tests started on 1st June but I may be wrong

Sparkles was this for a 5 year renewal or a new licence? For my 5 year renewal I only had to do the traffic light colour blind / reaction test - no need for any videos or anything else

Sorry for the delay in reply this was for 5 year renewal and current information as of 2 days ago.

• Like 1

Just come back from getting the licence. Today no reaction or other tests required or video to watch through. Simply turn up when you want (midday in my case), go upstairs, get a queue number, wait 20 mins to get documents checked and fee paid. Then went through to get photo taken and 5-year licence issued. Only 1 person taking photos at that time so that was another 20 minutes or so, but overall less than an hour, and to repeat, no reaction test or video today.

Your mileage may vary if you turn up tomorrow wink.png

Edited by pete66

Just come back from getting the licence. Today no reaction or other tests required or video to watch through. Simply turn up when you want (midday in my case), go upstairs, get a queue number, wait 20 mins to get documents checked and fee paid. Then went through to get photo taken and 5-year licence issued. Only 1 person taking photos at that time so that was another 20 minutes or so, but overall less than an hour, and to repeat, no reaction test or video today.

Thanks for that update. Was a medical certificate required as that seems to change with the wind?

Hope this helps

Apparently it started the day i was there (half my luck). I was made to watch the video. Eye test, reaction test, etc.

Thanks for that update. Was a medical certificate required as that seems to change with the wind?

Yes. Medical certificate and certificate of residence both required.

• Like 1

The receptionist,2 days ago, when I queried the need for a medical certificate, she just crossed it out on the requirements slip she had given me, "No need'" she smiled.Residence cert YES

I will of course take that piece of paper with me next week. as you say depends which way the wind is blowing on the day.

The receptionist,2 days ago, when I queried the need for a medical certificate, she just crossed it out on the requirements slip she had given me, "No need'" she smiled.Residence cert YES

I will of course take that piece of paper with me next week. as you say depends which way the wind is blowing on the day.

Get the medical cert as well. Head to Klaimor hospital on the same road (Hang Dong) just before Tesco Lotus, they are well set up for foreigners getting the cert for drivers licence.

Just because someone crossed it off the list yesterday doesn't mean you won't need it tomorrow. You are not in Kansas anymore Toto.

I went today and was very impressed with the speed of service and the politeness/helpfulness of the staff especially the girl on the information desk at the top of the stairs.. I had all the docs including the medical certificate from Klaimor. Did the colour test and paid just over 600 Baht for a 5 year licence. The wife told me that she will have to do a 1 hour video refresher next time because she is renewing her 5 year licence, I didn't because this is my first 5 year licence.

• 3 weeks later...

I renewed by 5 years driving licence at 1pm today.Being a Monday I expected it to be busy ,it wasn't at all .My licence expired 5 days ago ,nothing was said and the new one has actually given me 6 years which I think some other posters have experienced when you are few days late renewing. Did a colour blind test,the reaction test was by passed by and just had to sit through an hour video of how to drive in Thailand...oh dear if only they did !

As advised by the very smart .clued up girl on the front desk 2 weeks ago that a medical cert was now NOT required,I didn't get one and was not asked for one however should you feel more comfortable with one not necessary to go to Klaimor or any other "falang friendly hospital" a Thai clinic will gladly give you one for 30 baht.

All in all a very painless procedure.

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks,

Just wondering if anyone knows what happens if you're late applying for a 5 year renewal driving license? Mine expires this Friday but I can't get over there renew it this week. Will that mean I have to start from scratch and be issued with a new 1 year license?

Thanks in advance,

Stubby

Hi Folks,

Just wondering if anyone knows what happens if you're late applying for a 5 year renewal driving license? Mine expires this Friday but I can't get over there renew it this week. Will that mean I have to start from scratch and be issued with a new 1 year license?

Thanks in advance,

Stubby

No problem. You can be up to a year late applying with no penalties.

P.S. not so sure how the police will deal with you if caught with an expired DL and driving sad.png