Bangkok's Temple of Dawn removes 'extortionate' photostand

webfact

Temple of Dawn Removes 'Extortionate' Photostand
By Khaosod English

14048198941404820082l.jpg
The popular Temple of Dawn (Wat Arun Ratchawararam) in Bangkok has removed a photostand that sneakily charged unsuspecting tourists for taking pictures with it.

BANGKOK — The popular Temple of Dawn (Wat Arun Ratchawararam) in Bangkok has removed a photostand that sneakily charged unsuspecting tourists for taking photos with it.

Many tourists complained they were misled to believe the stand was free because signs that said photos cost 40 baht a piece were small and barely noticeable, said the deputy abbot of the temple, Phra Sakkaya Puttiyawong.

The stand was operated by a number of locals who live in the nearby community, Phra Sakkaya said.

"Many people and tourists who were affected have complained on social media and sent their complaints to the temple," Phra Sakkaya told Matichon, "It greatly affects the image of the temple, which is an important tourist destination of the country."

He added that the decision to remove the stand was reached in a meeting between the temple administrators, representatives of Bangkok Noi District Office, and the locals who owned the photostand.

"We will find measures to help the local entrepreneurs find new, appropriate jobs for them in the temple," Phra Sakkaya said.

The Temple of Dawn is one of the most famous landmarks along Bangkok's Chao Phraya River. It is also featured on the back of 10 baht coins.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1404819894&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-07-09

• Like 1

I have seen tourists fall for this also. The scammers wait until they take the picture, then jump out like sukhumvit cigarette police and demand their money. Its a shame it took public complaints for a famous Watt to do the right thing and didnt change this on their own, but I suppose they got a cut...

• Like 1

Do tourists really want their picture taken with something so ugly and trashy?

Yes, of course they do. Remember the photo ops with blow up pics of Bill Clinton and George W at the airport? A booming business before the thought police had them removed.

Wat Arun is one of my favourite temple/tourist sites in Bkk...great view of the river & city from the top.

Although I have seen this photo stand it didn't offend me probably because I have seen similar in various places around the world.

I wasn't inclined to stick my head into one for a photo but I could understand some tourists wanting a go for a humorous photo for friends/family back home I guess.

40 baht is probably on the high side but if the funds went to the temple grounds it could be a good thing.

If the funds are going to a private group independent of the temple well that's capitalism,so many of the anti Coup/Thai/Thailand group on TV forums should be supportive.

I did see a photo op near by where you actually get to dress up in traditional Thai garb & they took your photo for a fee...but I didn't check the price but saw tourists doing this also.

• Like 1

I have seen tourists fall for this also. The scammers wait until they take the picture, then jump out like sukhumvit cigarette police and demand their money. Its a shame it took public complaints for a famous Watt to do the right thing and didnt change this on their own, but I suppose they got a cut...

Little off topic but i also noticed the ciggarette scam police have had their wings clipped on sukhumvit also, seems they are no longer allowed to steal money from tourists but only give them a talking too w00t.gif

Edited by tingtongfarang

''Many tourists complained they were misled to believe the stand was free''

Wanted to believe against all sane belief that something was free!

I wouldn't have my picture taken in that stupid thing if you paid me. Why is this kitsch at a sacred temple? Leave this stuff at the fair or the seaside.

I think you mean Wat.

The famous Watt (James Watt) worked with Matthew Boulton and William Murdoch to engineer steam power for the world's first factory - the Soho Manufactory on the borders of Handsworth (later part of Birmingham) and Smethwick never, never a part of Birmingham, in the centre of England.

However I do agree with everything you say about the scam.

I used to work in a school right next to the temple 10 0r 12 years ago. I would often wander through during my lunchbreak and warn tourists, which of course was not taken very well. They were a nasty ignorant bunch. Also I went to buy a pack of ciggies further inside (at the time it was around 40 baht a pack I think) and the woman said 150 baht. I was already pretty fluent in Thai at that time, so I said, I'm a teacher at the local school there, cut me a break, so I don't have to walk all the way out to the main road. Turned away. I thought how bloody minded is that, she still could have made a 10 baht profit if I gave her 50, but no, no sale was better for her obviously. And I dated a girl briefly who ran a coffee booth in the compound, she was harassed by the locals who wanted to 'borrow' her money or get her kicked out so they could run it as they saw she was doing well.

All in all, it seems that this temple was a magnet for petty thieving low-lifes.

I did a little homework before coming to Thailand the first time and had read about different scams and such. When I came across this one the first time I just considered it a bit of the cultural experience. I wasnot offended by it. I thought more power to them. People can afford a plane ticket but donot have the smarts to research a little about the place they are to visit and prepare themselves. I myself miss these small local things like this. It gives it the Thai flavour not some homogenised,sterile place. I feel they should stay to remind people they arenot at home in their safe little bubble.